PDA

View Full Version : Water embossing

Eph429
02-20-2011, 03:45 AM
I saw in a book a neat technique of water embossing by laying water color paper on the rubber surface of the rubber stamp and then pressing around the edges with a blunt stylus. Anyone tried this? That is my next technique I want to try.

JulieB.T.
02-20-2011, 05:17 AM
Well, are you saying the paper has to be wet? I can only think that this would work with a stamp of the bold image kind.My watercolor paper is thick, so it would not be able to get into those little line areas.Sounds like alot of work.Let us know how it turns out Susan:)You always have your thinking cap on!!

Eph429
02-20-2011, 05:33 AM
PM your address and I will send a sample. Water color paper was the advice by the book, but it can be any kind of paper that will receive water. I do know in working with the cuddlebug, advice has been to wet the paper by spritzing as it spreads the fibers. Well, are you saying the paper has to be wet? I can only think that this would work with a stamp of the bold image kind.My watercolor paper is thick, so it would not be able to get into those little line areas.Sounds like alot of work.Let us know how it turns out Susan:)You always have your thinking cap on!!

Kathy N.
02-20-2011, 02:50 PM
I never heard of this. I have watercolor paper so I'll have to give it a try.

Eph429
02-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Resource info:
Rubber Stamp Celebrations - Dazzling Projects from Personal Stamp Exchange p. 16 isbn 0806962518
and on the net:
http://netnet.net/~cloud9/tips/tips_water_embossing.html

Paper: paper with rag content, like the old erasable bond used for typewriter paper if you have any left, or water color paper as stated. This is if you want to custom emboss rather than use the swift action of the cuddlebug. Nice variation if interested.

Eph429
02-20-2011, 06:07 PM
I wish I could show you my finished product. It is a very nice deep emboss. The stamp surface I used was a bold swirl which was hard to trace at first but I got the hang of it. The instructions said to wet both side of water color paper. I used the blunt end of a paint brush as I didn't have a burnishing tool. I am so thrilled with the finished result on my first attempt. I hope you try it.

Eph429
02-20-2011, 09:17 PM
Hi, I edited my post and added the embossed result. However, it doesn't appear as deep as it really is.

JulieB.T.
02-21-2011, 08:26 AM
Thanks Susan. Just looked at the site and am going to definitely try this! Julie Also, I like the part where you add ink to the brayer or to the rubber image. I bet the design looks really pretty on paper!

Eph429
02-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Julie, your suggestion is step 3! Now, its your turn. Please show your work!

stampingground
02-21-2011, 06:18 PM
That was a neat link, Susan. Do a tutorial for us on our new technique thread, please, if you have time. It seems like it would give such a pretty result.