PDA

View Full Version : Stamping room organization

stampingground
02-26-2011, 07:02 PM
I have been buried in my stamping room trying to re-organize the complete disaster it has become. I wonder if anyone has some suggestions that would help? I don't know what to with all this stuff, and for some reason, I just cannot throw it out!!

If you have been through this and have learned something from your experience that could help those of us who are struggling, please, post a note or suggestion on this thread.

winsrella
02-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Call my friend, Mary Jane. She helped me organize my stamp/computer room. Just kidding. That would be a long trek from Ohio to Texas, although they did live there in the seventies. I think one of the best things I did was purchase a bookcase from Ikea to put stuff in. It has sixteen squares which are 15x15. It holds so much. You can also put stuff on the top. Best investment ever. I think it was about 149.00. My brother put it together for me. It would have taken me a week, he did it in about an hour or so. I have alot of decent looking boxes with identifying tags on them in some of the sections.

Mary Jane had some wire "bookcases" that they got for their daughter, but didn't work. So she gave them to me. I keep my stamps in them. The stamps are in either 11x14 acrylic frames or med. size pizza boxes. I can stack 4-6 boxes in each section. These are all in the closet. I sorted my cardstock into color families. I have a big box of various papers, metalics, cs, and other paper type things to use in cards. This box is next to my table and saves alot of time when doing cards.

It sounds like I am rambling, but hopefully this will help. I think the best thing is to keep it clean after it is finished. Easier said than done. I try to put things away when I am finished, but sometimes it may take several days before I do it. However, even though it sometimes is a mess, it is so much better than it was prior to Mary Jane helping me. At least, I know where things are now.

My next goal is to start organizing again. I feel a call to Mary Jane is due. I house sit their cat and she helps me organize. A good deal.

Eph429
02-28-2011, 08:26 AM
The stamps that are tucked away in boxes, how often do you use them? Also, would you more likely use wood handled or ezmounted stamps? - which would you grab first? Are you going to show us some up-close pictures of your organization?

Call my friend, Mary Jane. She helped me organize my stamp/computer room. Just kidding. That would be a long trek from Ohio to Texas, although they did live there in the seventies. I think one of the best things I did was purchase a bookcase from Ikea to put stuff in. It has sixteen squares which are 15x15. It holds so much. You can also put stuff on the top. Best investment ever. I think it was about 149.00. My brother put it together for me. It would have taken me a week, he did it in about an hour or so. I have alot of decent looking boxes with identifying tags on them in some of the sections.

Mary Jane had some wire "bookcases" that they got for their daughter, but didn't work. So she gave them to me. I keep my stamps in them. The stamps are in either 11x14 acrylic frames or med. size pizza boxes. I can stack 4-6 boxes in each section. These are all in the closet. I sorted my cardstock into color families. I have a big box of various papers, metalics, cs, and other paper type things to use in cards. This box is next to my table and saves alot of time when doing cards.

It sounds like I am rambling, but hopefully this will help. I think the best thing is to keep it clean after it is finished. Easier said than done. I try to put things away when I am finished, but sometimes it may take several days before I do it. However, even though it sometimes is a mess, it is so much better than it was prior to Mary Jane helping me. At least, I know where things are now.

My next goal is to start organizing again. I feel a call to Mary Jane is due. I house sit their cat and she helps me organize. A good deal.

stampingground
02-28-2011, 01:47 PM
Thanks, Winsrella! Those were good suggestions. Especially about keeping the cardstock in color families. I just have to hunt and hunt to find what I want.

Another question comes to mind. When you guys store your stamps, do you store them by manufacturer, such as Posh or JudiKins or do you store them by theme, such as flowers or animals or Asian?

I did buy more storage in the form of Iris carts and 3 drawer stackable units. I put stuff in them, and then partially labeled the contents with a printed sticky tab that I put on the front of the drawers. I figured at least I could know what was where til I figured out what to do with the stuff.

backerma
02-28-2011, 07:50 PM
I purchased some stamp cabinets from a company in Utah, and I use a dual filing system. For my Posh, Michael Strong, Judikins and Tim Holtz stamps, I file them by artist. All the rest are filed by category, words, holidays, ocean, etc. That way, if I have a stamp I know I want to use from one of the named artists, I can match it to others I may have from other companies. I've even done the same with my ez mounts. It seems to work for me.

Kathy N.
03-01-2011, 06:43 AM
I have organized chaos, does that count?

JulieB.T.
03-01-2011, 08:04 AM
Enough of this stamping room clean-up talk!!! I sat in my little hovel(room) yesterday for an hour and barely made a dent!!:{ I keep saying baby steps Julie, baby steps!! :) It feels so good to toss! Not really, it goes to the kids at the local Guardian Home.

JeanneLee
03-01-2011, 10:17 AM
Oh Laela, I fill for you...my craft table is buried and I am heading down there right now to clean! :)

stampingground
03-01-2011, 06:39 PM
I don't know if I've inspired all this cleaning or if I've just made you guys feel guilty!! lol

It is such a relief to be able to get around in the room and have a flat spot to put something! I know it's not nearly done, but it is so much better!

I wish I had somewhere to donate some things, Julie. That would be better than throwing it away...which I cannot do!

winsrella
03-01-2011, 07:02 PM
What about donating stuff to retirement homes. I volunteer with the assisted living folks, and they (the directors are always looking for crafty things to do with the residents.) I did stamping with them. They loved it. I have also donated stuff to the pre-school at church.

I have a big loose leaf note book where I stamp all rubber stamps. I have sections. Animals, Cats (I am a cat lover and have way too many cat stamps) Flowers (which includes anything that grows, eg. trees, fruit, etc.) Miscellaneous, Words, People. This way I know where to find what I'm looking for. I identify each stamp with the letter of the section and the number of the box it's in. Eg. M-5, C-6. I also separate unmounted and mounted. I stamp the unmounted in the note book too, but then stamp them on envelopes and put the stamps inside then put them in a box labeled with the same sections as the mounted stamps.

JulieB.T.
03-01-2011, 10:59 PM
...also to the local Girl Scouts or after school program.

stampingground
03-02-2011, 08:42 AM
What good ideas. I never thought of a retirement home or the Girl Scouts. I used to work in a nursing home, you'd think I would have thought of that! When you are overwhelmed by something, you don't think as you usually would! I've gone completely mental about it!

DebRN
03-02-2011, 02:56 PM
I sorted thru my stamp room and decided that if I hadn't used something in a year or thought that I was going to use it, I put it in a box. I am going to have a garage sale this summer. The last time I had a garage sale, I advertised stamping and scrapbooking items. I had quite a few people show up. I made $70.00 to buy new items that I use a lot in my stamping. I decided that I should buy the items that I consistently use instead of buying things that I "might" use and never do. I am also going to buy a 6 drawer filing cabinet to arrange my cardstock, freeing up some cabinet and countertop space. It is helping me to get organized and lets me know what I have in my collection. DebRN

stampingground
03-03-2011, 07:15 PM
If anyone sorts their scrap cardstock by color, how do you do it? Do you put it in baggies or file folders? I've just got them all stuck in drawers. They are all mixed up now, but I would love to get them separated.

Diana Jones
03-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I don't know why but I seem to enjoy organizing. I must because I go out there in the garage/stamp room and instead of stamping I start shuffling things around. Well, for one thing I couldn't stamp anyway because I always stack new purchases on the desk until I have time to store them properly. I also put things on my desk or a convenient pile until I have time to put them away. You should see the garage when I had to clean off the table in the dinning room in a hurry. I had put stamping stuff on the table for over a week while making several cards. My Great-grandson was coming over. He will be two this month and could do some damage if he got up to the table with all my stuff still out. The garage is a disaster just out the door.

I don't have the room I wish I had out there so I have it crambed with lots of different types of helps. I have metal paper draws, 12 X 12 plastic holders that are thin and stand up and I store paper by color groups. I have 12 X 12
holders that lay flat and are thicker and snap closed. I have metal drawers with small drawers and some that are a little bigger than 81/2 X 11. I store mostly woodmounted stamps in them, usually double thick. I have wood cabinets to store tools like melting pots, extra air guns, hot knives,xyron, bigger items.

I use the old wood music cassette holders to hold lots of my ink pads which I store in like categories; dye inks, embossable inks.

I will send more later, gotta go to bed; 3am comes too early as it is and it's 8:48 and bedtime is 7:30 (which I rarely make)

cardmaker
03-03-2011, 07:57 PM
Laela, I bought a bunch of clear 12"x12" clear plastic 'envelopes' -- the kind that you do up by winding a string around a little dohickey, at the dollar store and I put my papers in there, one for each colour family (unless I have too much and then I'll use more than one. They don't take up much room and you can see through them to see the colours. 8x11 and smaller papers I put in a 14-drawer cart on wheels and labeled each drawer as to the colour of paper inside. I also put coordinating patterned paper in with the right colours. I bought a Dymo labeler and printed out labels for each of the drawers. Sure helps when wanting to find the right colour paper.

Janet

blossom
03-04-2011, 02:34 AM
I have organized chaos too. Thanks for all the helpful and useful tips listed here....the flower child

stampingground
03-04-2011, 08:03 AM
"Organized chaos"!!! That describes it exactly, Lois!! These tips are very helpful. Now to get started doing some of these suggestions. I have one of those label makers, Janet. I just go ahead and label the chaos, even if it's not where it will eventually end up. Then I at least can know where the stuff is when I get ready to do something with it.

One of the things that helped me this week while cleaning out this room, is the closet that was not nearly full. I put up things in it that I seldom use. For example, my sewing machine was on the edge of my computer table. I never use it anymore, so in the closet it went. I can actually get to the printer and telephone without moving something!! If you don't use something quite often, why keep it out in the way? Makes sense to me!

Diana Jones
03-06-2011, 12:03 PM
I currently store punches in hanging holders designed for about 3 different sizes of punches and they are hanging on the side of a huge rolling chrome shelf unit that I have packed with larger items like my jewelry making items, papers, sheet protectors, and bulky items of any sort. I even have metal containers with duplicate wood mounted stamps ready for travel. I have the bigger punches in plastic drawers or trays. I have a large drawer full of around the page punch sets standing up but I need some help deciding how to store them so I don't have to pick up each one to see what design it cuts. I don't have enough wall space to just put them on a small ledge. Anyone with some suggestions?

winsrella
03-06-2011, 01:08 PM
My punches, decorative scissors, and hand held hole punches are in a plastic over the door pocket holder. It is like a shoe storage holder, but isn't because it has way more pockets. The smaller pockets are at the top and get larger as it goes to the bottom. It is probably two yards long and wonderful. I think it was originally made for make up and stuff like that. I love it. It hangs on my craft room closet door.

Kathy N.
03-06-2011, 02:52 PM
Diana, how about if you punched a piece of cardstock with each of your round punches, stapled them together, numbered each page and then put a corresponding number on each of the punches. Keep the book in your punch drawer then you could just leaf to the page of which punch you want and look at the number on the punch.

Diana Jones
03-06-2011, 06:19 PM
KathyN. Now thats an idea that with a little work the results would be very helpful. Thanks!!! I had thought of punching a sample and putting it on the handle but I don't think they would all fit, the handle is kinda slim. I like your idea better!

I have those plastic shoe/jewelry holders but the punches are very heavy and I don't think they would hold up well and I don't know where to hang them because I've got some of those hanging already with other stuff in them. I have one full of pencil boxes waiting to be filled; just don't know what I'd fill them with and how I'd remember what is in there. I think your idea could be applied by naming the holder and numbering the slots and keeping a card file with all the storage areas named and itemized. Since I kinda like those type of things I could maybe pull that off and finally know where my items are so I don't spend endless hours looking and tearing up the place. :)

Now if I just had the spare time to do the organizing that is needed and the favorable weather too because I have rolling carts that must be pulled out of the front garage door in order to give me moving space. I really have it crammed let me tell ya.

If a thief broke into my garage in the dark to steal us blind I'm sure he'd end up sueing us for hurting himself by tripping over something. :( At least he'd never make it into the house.

kaybee
03-07-2011, 05:27 AM
I am so excited. For my birthday my mom gave mr money to buy a table that I had seen at big lots. I now have it in my computer craft room so I dont have to drag my atamps to another room to stamp. I can now officially call it my craft room because I can do my stamping in the same room as my stamps and Cuttlebug and inks and paper.

JulieB.T.
03-07-2011, 07:28 AM
Yeah for wonderfuul mothers! Having a good table is of the utmost of importance!!

Diana Jones
03-07-2011, 07:08 PM
I was pondering today what to do to reconfigure my craft room. I think I have a plan to try. I am going to take some wood cabinets back by the back door that face eachother and put them on the wall where I currently have several rolling Iris carts in the front of the garage.

The cabinets seem under used because I throw stuff in between them (maybe 3 feet between them if that) and then would have to unload a bunch of stuff in order to get into the cabinets. I have to do it differently somehow. Maybe by trading places I can use the space better because the Iris carts move and therefore maybe I won't clutter so badly that I couldn't roll them out of the way and get into them. I could even roll them out the back door and under the patio for some shaded stamping time with some friends if any ever come over.

I'm thinking that one of the rolling chrome carts should be turned parallel to the street and one perpendicular. That will give me more room for when it is too hot or cold or windy to open the garage door up.

Have a great evening and the rest of the week.

Hugs,
Diana Jones

Diana Jones
03-16-2012, 10:18 AM
I am in the process of moving the most important craft items into my house (the room with the fireplace) because my son and his family moved out except for the 20 yr old grand-daughter. I have asked for that room and God Bless Him Real Big, DH said yes! I was sitting there puttering at my desk and my scissor holder only holds 4 scissors which is okay for the bigger ones but no room for the fine detail cutting ones. I just had just tried to use those little foam seperators on my toenail paint job and decided they are useless so I decided to double stick take one of the foam dividors to the bottom of my wood scissor holder and it gave me 4 more spaces to store the tiny scissors. I am estatic!!! I double stick taped the other one to the small square box that I have a nice sized roll of double stick tape stored in so it can hold the scissor used to cut the tape and my dollar store magnifying glasses and a couple more tools as soon as I decide which ones will fit. Those little foam dividors come in different colors so they would be a cute addition to any area that needs a little handy holder for a small item. It isn't an earth shattering discovery but thought someone might like it as much as I do.

stampwilly
03-16-2012, 11:53 AM
It can get discouraging when there is sooooo much to organize! LOL! I put all my scrap papers by colors in large freezer baggies. When I need that color, I just pick it up and go through it. That saved me a lot of time. My cardstock is sorted by colors. I have my 12 x 12 paper pads all together in one area. I also have one bin for occasions. I didn't know I had some wedding papers, Easter papers until I put them in my occasion bin. My wood mounted stamps are on shelves where I can see them, sorted in themes. My unmounted are in drawers with labels on the front -- sorted in themes. My embellishments are in plastic baskets and sorted in themes. Hope all this helps. I have to clean up my mess at least twice a week so that I can find things. It is better than letting things go for a month and then try to clean and find things. Less time!!!!!

Hugs, Stampwilly.

Diana Jones
03-16-2012, 08:00 PM
I have lots of paper to bring in the house but have to be mindful of the space. I'm running out of wall space. I want to leave enought room in the center of my room to have a second table; one for crafting with others or to do my die cutting and embossing. My other space is dominated by ink pads and tools and it is near alot of drawer spaces for easy access. I still have lots of rubber stamps in the garage too that need brought in to the room.

I'm having fun but I am hurting; may have hernia problem again but won't be taking care of it until DH is healed because one has to take care of the other and he is already needing care for the next 6 months.

Kathy N.
03-17-2012, 05:59 AM
Diana that's a great idea for the foam toe separaters. I think I use them for my beading tools. They're on my list for the next trip to the dollar store.

JulieB.T.
03-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Just put on the covers from Sure Fit Covers on my sofa and loveseat.I bought the linen Damask design if you all want to check out their site:) Anyhoo, they came with two heavy plastic bags so I am going to use them to put my wooden stamps, papers,scraps or whatever in! I always save the zippered bags that things come in.Love my covers by the way!I used to have navy blue plaid Waverly material on my furniture.These give them a whole new look w/out a lot of money spent.We ARE a thrifty bunch aren't we?

Diana Jones
03-17-2012, 10:32 AM
You furniture re-do sounds wonderful! I need a recliner for hubby to be comfortable in during his recovery but don't have $600. so he is on the couch my son left us when he moved out. Good thing because the bed hurt him too much to sleep and spend much time laying in.

I just had to restick my little foam toe seperators with foam mounting tape because the double stick tape didn't hold when I put some light things in them. I'll let you know if that does the trick. I think $1.00 for those things is a little steep being you only get one set per pkg with a file and a little plastic pouch. You know what is worth the dollar? I love the little ice makers that are designed for bottles. They have a removable bottle so you can shove the long tubes out and use them in bottles. I use them to hold small tools, markers, foam and regular brushes, little ranger spray bottles, you get the idea, sky is the limit for the small items. I like that they sit on top of my wood cassette holders that I have my ink pads stored in around my desk on 3 sides. I have only two of those holders but if I had more I would want them nearby with the types of things I put in them.

glittery night owl
03-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Once again my craftroom is being overhauled. Harold got me a new

computer and he wants me to put it in there grrrrrr. It is going to take a

month to get this project done,

Trudy