new twist for me, but I kept asking where are the stamps. The stamps were only
used as the card message or "hand stamped by". She calls it a stamping class,
but there is little stamping. It as if the paper crafting business is competing
for the stamper's attention. It is subtle. It is as if stamping is being taken
out of the equation. There are other things people are doing to replace
stamping altogether.

Daniel
05-19-2011, 05:34 AM
Since it's a cardmaking club, I'd be surprised if it were more 'stamping' oriented. That said... If the instructor is calling a class a stamping class, I'd expect more than doing sentiments.

Far as stamping being in competion with paper crafts? Probably. But I've never really considered stamping to be a 'pure' craft. There are lots of crafters who have only been exposed to it thru cardmaking & decorating scrap layouts. Those stampers who stamp on other-than-paper or use their stamps as tools with clay, plastic, etc. are probably not mainstream. Even stamping on fabric is a revelation for many stampers.

One good thing about being part of your club is that you're in a position to share & show fellow members how versatile stamping can be in their cardmaking--without (of course) seeking to change the club's focus.

Kathy N.
05-19-2011, 10:09 AM
I think that woman should have just called her class a card making class and not a stamping class. To me, a stamping class means you are learning techniques and how to use stamps in different ways and not necessarily making a finished project. I think companies that produce paper, scrapbooking embellishments and rubber stamps are all competing for our attention.

Daniel
05-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Like any other commercial industry, crafting (including stamping) is mostly about selling product & building a group of buyers. Just like the craft mags used to do.

One of the things I miss is being able to not have to do the 'either-or' when it comes to crafting.

One of the reasons I join groups such as CP is the opportunity to connect with others whose primary interest is stamping. That said, I greatly appreciate posts that encourage crafters to go beyond seeing just competition for our bucks & craft focus.

Thank you Eph! You've raised an interesting topic. Hope you'll post soon.

Diana Jones
05-23-2011, 06:15 PM
I love stamps, I'm a stampoholic and if I don't find time and ways to use lots of them in a relative few short years, a lot of stamps will never see ink. For me, it's mostly about the stamps and then whatever else I can do to a card to customize it. I especially love Nestabilities and border punches to do that. I like to see cards that use nice papers, ribbons and embellishments but so far that hasn't been my focus.

Like Daniel and some others I would like to use my stamps on other than paper crafts. I just don't have time to do so now. I do buy with other uses in mind.