PDA

View Full Version : How long is to long ?

glittery night owl
05-26-2011, 09:33 AM
I have been going through my craftroom getting rid of things I have not

used in 10 years. How long is to long for you?? I know it is diff for diff

people so I thought we could chat about it, and why you have to hang

onto it

I personally feel it is like use your good things now because when you go to

heaven it is to late then.

If I can make someone else happy with the stuff i no longer use then it

makes me happy, lets chat,

Trudy

yankee
05-26-2011, 09:47 AM
I don't think it is a matter of time, but a choice of do I still want to do that. I got ride of needlework kits because I don't want to work with them. My walls are full of my needlework and so are the kids, so I got ride of those things. Now I do paper things like cards and scrap booking (the grandson I babysit).

Kathy N.
05-26-2011, 02:35 PM
Stamping and craft supplies are line fine wine, they have to age for awhile before you use them. Except for bottles of paints, they just dry up.

Daniel
05-27-2011, 09:06 AM
If I weren't so lazy, I'd have tossed lots more stuff over the years. Mostly I toss in the trash, but will do a pass along if I'm in the mood.

It's interesting that you say using 'good stuff'. For me, some of what I still have around was 'good' when I bought it, but lots moves into "Why on earth did I buy that!". That time frame can be decades or days. Often depends on how long the goodies have been buried, but not always.

When it comes to 'happy'? Me first. Puts me in a better position to share 'happy' with others.

Good topic, pal. Be Happy.:)

JulieB.T.
05-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Honestly, I think I have a psych. problem with my craft things and my antiques:} I have them all , JUST in CASE I might need them one day....in the future.....for my grandkids.....to sell at a Craft show.....to make for all of my relatives/friends for their birthdays and on and on!!! Do you see a pattern here??? I think I get this from my mom who is a saver and who went through the bad war years.I still save aluminum, plastic containers/bottles,little bits of soap,yarn/twine, ends of bread and toast them for crumbs and anything that I think I might need!!! IT IS A PROBLEM FOR ME!!! I am trying very hard to rid myself of unused things and donate to the needy.Tupperware is another bad thing for me to stockpile.I do periodically give things to the Guardian Home for kids 'cause they love craft stuff. Now when I buy goodies for them on sale, I try really hard to give it to them w/in a week so it won't clutter my home. I'm starting to toss after not using things for a year.I think that is a good idea.

Kathy N.
05-27-2011, 02:30 PM
It seems to me that when you get rid of something, the following week you need it for a project and have to go buy it again.

Daniel
05-28-2011, 05:22 AM
It seems to me that when you get rid of something, the following week you need it for a project and have to go buy it again.

Ain't that the truth?!:D

cobismom2
05-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Here's my take on "how long is too long?" I go through my supplies, creations twice a year. If I haven't looked at them, played with them, or used them in 6 months, I get heartless and put them in a big box.
I don't look back, because they would be like puppies, and I would take them out and put them away and still not play with them. The first people to get to see the box are my friends, if they want anything, they can take it, if they want to pay me for it, (which I don't ask) the $$ goes to a fund for supplies for the nursing home craft room. The second group to get the box is that same nursing home. They don't get much extra in their budget for crafting supplies or cards, or other things, so they are happy to get my care package every 6 months. BUT I have had to be ruthless with myself, Toughen up, and pitch and toss. For example, I loved these stamps, but not once did they get used, there is no color on the stamp, obviously never used. I gave it to the "box"..... Why keep it if I am not going to use it.

Kathy N.
05-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Wish I was like you Cathy. I don't want to part with anything.

Diana Jones
05-28-2011, 03:04 PM
Julie B.T. You and I are cut from the same mold. It is a shame that the 20 or so miles between us is prohibitive because of gas prices and that free time is an issue.

I have a three day weekend and don't know how much stamping I will get done because I've hurt my shoulder and if I get out in my craftroom and start organizing, it will be all over for me.

glittery night owl
05-29-2011, 10:38 PM
Promblem is I am still finding things I forgot I had and do not think

I will keep either.

Trudy

stampingground
05-31-2011, 12:15 PM
I just seem to keep getting more and more. (Mostly thanks to Trudy). It's funny, though, how you think you are going to love something and then when it gets right down to it, it is not as good as you imagined. Also, What you used to do was fun then, but may not be any longer.
For instance, I used to love to sew. I had a serger and a regular sewing machine that I kept on the table at all times. I decided one day that I did not love that any more and gave my serger to my DIL and put the other machine in the closet. Now I don't have to look at the things every day and feel guilty. My DIL is happy and if I want to use the machine, I'll get it out of the closet!
I need to do that with some other stamping and craft things. Otherwise, I need a new, roomier house to put it all in!

AmyS
06-23-2011, 03:30 AM
I just saw this thread. Everyone's comments are so interesting! I, too, have passed along other crafts stashes (needlepoint, some cross stitch...) to friends who still enjoy those things. Right now I'm not-so-systematically going through my crafts room, weeding out papers, embellishments, and stamps I haven't used in a long time (no idea how long, though) and simply can't see myself ever wanting to use again. Most of the paper is going into the recycling because it's too heavy and expensive to send to someone else. Stamps are going to friends. Many of the frou frou embellishments well-intentioned people (usually people following a RAK list, not people who know me) have given me are unfortunately going in the trash. I have donated stuff to the community center, but I honestly don't know if the kids use the stuff and it's frankly a lot easier to just get things out of my way while I'm in the mood to destash. There are definitely things I have a hard time parting with (old vinyl records - don't have a stereo or turntable anymore; children's books - what about those potential grandkids??) but thankfully I've had no trouble being fairly ruthless this time.

And I really love all of the extra space I have now, and the fact that I can actually see what I have!

I read a blog by a woman who made a New Year's resolution to use all of her stamp sets (guess she doesn't buy single stamps, unlike me) and sort them into Keepers, Maybe, and Out They Go (those are my terms, I forget what hers are). I think that's a good plan. It will help remind me why I'm still keeping stamps I bought in 1998 and why I never use certain other stamps which clearly need to go. I need to do that in an organized fashion, lately I've just been rummaging and stamping (and I'm happy to say, using some of those old stamps!)

Kathy N.
06-24-2011, 02:34 PM
I'm usually one for saying it's never too long to hold onto something, but today I came across craft supplies that I bought in a store that went out of business about 20 years ago. If I haven't painted that plasterware by now, I think it's safe to say I'm never going to. Think it's time to donate it to the senior's home.

winsrella
06-24-2011, 07:29 PM
I think you are right.

AmyS
06-24-2011, 10:06 PM
I think so, too Kathy. Besides, I think you're busy enough making all that incredibly gorgeous jewelry I saw on your blog! :D