PDA

View Full Version : Stamping in trend

andrew overton
06-19-2011, 01:13 PM
With so many stamps on the market and so many techniques which develop we are always still searching for something new. Stamping is like fashions we are presented with what is new what is hot and what stamp styles are in trend. I have noticed the vintage era style slowly coming back but it is different and i would describe the new trend as by gone era and images from the past.
When Posh Impression stamps were available some of Dees styled stamps were slightly vintage and called Altered Art i guess some of these images could be brought back like the feather, inkwell, script writing ,bookcase, pocket watch , tassell and some of the even older classics which would match the by gone era maybe a old fashioned looking flower there are many flowers which Dee designed, maybe new revised sizes of two options could be developed original and smaller .
Example two sizes of feather and two sizes of script background writing, two sizes of tassells and so on .I dont ever recall these images used for the atc size on unmounted and maybe if Judy from judikins reads this she may agree about the trend at the moment and usually this trend lasts more than one year so maybe some of those designs may be produced if the demand is there .
Happy Creating All
Andrew Overton

glittery night owl
06-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Andrew,
AWSOME idea. Dee has some ATC sizes that i really like but would love to have 2 diff of the stamps. WTG

sizes of feathers and ect

Judy can you help us out??/? She does have a thread that she reads on the club,

Trudy glittery night owl

andrew overton
06-20-2011, 05:18 AM
Has anyone else noticed the trend in stamping these days i am guessing the trend in America will be the same as we have here in the UK . Most times we follow on with the new stamping trends which are shown at the conventions and expos around America.The products usually are demonstrated at shows over here or tv and the new stamps usually attract crafters and stampers a like and then the new trend develops, and people become hooked . Hello everyone i am slowly making time to post again.

judikins
06-20-2011, 07:29 AM
Hi!!! Yes I'm reading. It's fun for me to see the community warmth! Yep trends are a funny thing. And yes, we too look for what might be exciting or fun. Some ideas are great and many flop. But the funny thing is the flops are often tweaked and the tweak becomes the trend. I'll re-look at the Post designs that would work well for ATC's. THANKS!! - Judi

loosluck
06-20-2011, 09:26 AM
Great idea, Andrew and Judi, I have a lot of the reg. size stamps but would love to see them smaller for ATC's or inchies. Mary

andrew overton
06-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the replys and Judy thanks for the input ,when i posted this thread i had in mind stamps from the past which could be modernised to be in trend. For me i would like if at all possible wood stamps made in two sizes the original larger vintage altered art style with a smaller one to be used with or without its big brother or sister wooden stamp. I know in the past the only two idententical images done together were the duets but one was a outline image the other matching one was solid image.
This idea came about while trying to produce some old fashioned bookmarks on kraft cardstock and i used the peacock feather and pocket watch and inkwell and a script background . I then thought would it not be great, if i had a large and smaller identical image to do the bookmarks and vintage styled cards i was working on.
As some of you know i have run a small business in the UK and for a number of years would purchase direct from Posh impressions in quantities to supply stampers in the UK.
I think now is the time for some Posh Impressions stamps made by Judikins to make a new presentation because many have not been available for quite some years now .The Posh Impressions Altered art stamps gradually were discontinued by PLAID in 2006 and to me were not given enough profile time and market time neither.
Judy if you read this further post by me, this might be a winner if launched better than before in 2004-2006.

Kathy N.
06-20-2011, 02:23 PM
I think the latest trend is steampunk in the Tim Holtz style. Every once in a while, I like making a card or ATC that looks like a bunch of rusted metal parts, but it's a trend I won't be jumping into with both feet. A while back the trend was shabby chic which I think is just a new name for vintage. Now I do like that whole faded, lacey florally look. I think florals are here to stay. They're versatile and can be used in a lot of different looks. Asian is always in too. People are intrigued with the mysterious east.

I have all of Dee's vintage stamps and I would like to see them indifferent sizes too.

andrew overton
06-21-2011, 02:45 AM
I have noticed over here in the UK some crafters are using the word steampunk in their cardmaking .I guess with Tim holtz style you can adapt and maybe make things not so dark . I like the images of say old bicycles old by gone era images like victorian and edwardian figures but i would make these images into something not so grunge and my work not so dark.
Like you Kathy i too like nature floral images never go out of style you can never say which date a floral stamp comes from because it can be made so different.

kaybee
06-21-2011, 02:49 AM
I think in my own stamping, I will never stop using my cuttlebug. I think that will continue to grow.

andrew overton
06-21-2011, 03:25 AM
I think with me i still cannot get out of using my craft products in a certain way and although i bought a die cuttting machine not the cuttlebug, i dont use it much at all .I prefer to simply stamp out and use my art form products like i have done and i guess thats why i teach craft clases hopefully to give inspiration and creativity.Nothing wrong with die cutting machines all craft products have their place and i believe even Tim Holtz has a cutting machine and dies out on the market now.

redned
06-21-2011, 04:34 AM
Andrew, nothing says that you can't stamp on die cuts. :D
I have a number of Tim Holtz's dies and really like them. I find his dies more 'adult' oriented. I've had my Sizzix for ages, and tons of dies:o, but only now am I really using it.
I'm also am not really into the steampunk. It just doesn't appeal to me.

andrew overton
06-22-2011, 02:24 AM
Thanks for the idea redned you see i am so into my stamping in a traditional way the die cut machine is probably saying to me come on get me some die cuts cut and stamp on them you silly man.

Kathy N.
06-22-2011, 02:29 PM
I've also stamped a large image and then used a small nestie to cut part of it out and just use the cut out part on a nice background. Another neat idea is to stamp an image twice, then use a small nestie to cut a piece out of one image. Color the cut out piece and then glue it over the other image which is left in black and white. Someone sent me a card like that and I really liked the look.

andrew overton
06-23-2011, 02:43 AM
just wondered what everyone is happily stamping these days are you stamping with anything new on trend like the by gone era style, not necessarily steam punk but older styled images which seem to be popular. I have noticed old fashioned carousels and old hot air ballons and tickets and flourishes and so much more.

Kathy N.
06-23-2011, 02:47 PM
I love flourishes and have bought several stamp sets of them.

glittery night owl
06-23-2011, 08:31 PM
I am in to Christmas cards right now :D

Trudy

andrew overton
06-24-2011, 04:08 AM
Every year i always tell myself to be better prepared when making my christmas cards but somehow i still end up making them in Novemeber. I do Christmas workshops in October and November and in July i am doing a By Gone Era workshop, really looking forward to that using a old bicycle stamp one with an Edwardian style dressed man on a bicycle, flourish scrolls, old message stamps, postcards, pocket watches that sort of thing and something i never used normally been a stamper is 12x12 papers these are matching in design to the forementioned but sadly not Posh Impressions or Judikins .

Kathy N.
06-24-2011, 02:24 PM
I was to a rubber stamp convention in April and and scrapbooking convention in May and I don't remember any one style of stamping standing out. I do think that wood mounted stamps are in demand again. Last year I remember seeing mainly acrylic stamps at the stamp shows or rubber on EZ mount. You hardly saw any wood mounted. This year the wood mounted are back. Every vendor seemed to have wood mounted and some vendors only had wood mounted. There was still a lot of rubber on EZ mount but I didn't think there was much of a choice in acrylics. There wasn't a lot of plain rubber either.

andrew overton
07-04-2011, 01:32 PM
It seems that the variety of stamps which are popular in the UK are different in choice and popularity to maybe America .Clear stamps have grown in popularity over the past 3 years wooden stamps are not as popular due to the cost and storage space, i love my wooden stamps always will. But stamping went out of fashion in the UK and took a dip in crafters choices it was all decoupage thank goodness stamping is coming back on trend in the UK.