PDA

View Full Version : Crafty with living space

Eph429
10-25-2011, 07:34 AM
How crafty are you with your living space?

Today, I was looking for new places for storage. I use bathroom drawers for hot glue gun and glue sticks for example. I was eyeing kitchen cupboard space today.

JulieB.T.
10-25-2011, 07:58 AM
HAH! Are you being facitious?? :) Well, Missy, I do believe that my crafitiness begins with not buying so much that I don't use.If I had done that properly, I would have a craft room that I can use! So, my thought is, use it or use it up, toss what has not been used /donate to a worthy person or cause, and then use some good wood shelves,cabinets, clear boxes for your containers. Have a sturdy table preferably in front of a window(music nearby)that you can stack things one(like paper/glitter containers,emb powders etc.).I need to have everything in one room.If I ventured into the kitchen or b.room, my home would be taken over! I have purchased many types of containers/holders for my art supplies at yard sales.I bought an inexpensive green(from the 20s or 30s) magazine wire rack that I have all of my cardmaking magazines/articles/instruction manuals in.I love it! I think the key is to be able to SEE your craft items!! If you can't, you won't know what is there and therefore won't be able the make the cards for your family and friends! Ok, sorry, this was a bit long.I just had my first cup of morning coffee :o

Eph429
10-25-2011, 08:33 AM
Yes, Julie, that is the KEY, "To see your craft items"!

yankee
10-25-2011, 04:21 PM
Gee! That is my excuse for my table being piled high. So I can see what I am doing, going to do, etc.

Kathy N.
10-25-2011, 07:26 PM
My livingroom closet holds all my yarns and cross stitching supplies and the bookshelves are loaded with crafting books. My husband built custom shelving in the diningroom (we never eat in there) to hold all my paints, stamp pads, glues and UTEE supplies. I keep my punches in my diningroom hutch. I have several iris carts in my diningroom with my most used stamps, alcohol inks, scrap papers, twinkling H2O's, spellbinders and cuttlebug dies and embossing folders and works in progress. A bookcase holds all my Sizzix dies. My sewing machine is on the diningroom table. The rest of my craft stuff is in my craft room in the basement.

Eph429
10-25-2011, 07:37 PM
My livingroom closet holds all my yarns and cross stitching supplies and the bookshelves are loaded with crafting books. My husband built custom shelving in the diningroom (we never eat in there) to hold all my paints, stamp pads, glues and UTEE supplies. I keep my punches in my diningroom hutch. I have several iris carts in my diningroom with my most used stamps, alcohol inks, scrap papers, twinkling H2O's, spellbinders and cuttlebug dies and embossing folders and works in progress. A bookcase holds all my Sizzix dies. My sewing machine is on the diningroom table. The rest of my craft stuff is in my craft room in the basement.

So if you don't have a basement or an attic, what do you do?

JulieB.T.
10-25-2011, 08:17 PM
Build shelves (different depths) made of wood so things won't fall through.

redned
10-26-2011, 08:31 AM
My best purchase was a large media bookcase. The shelves are the depth of cd's/dvd's (nice & shallow), and there are lots of them allowing complete adjustability.

Kathy N.
10-26-2011, 02:41 PM
Susan do you have a spare room you could make a craft room?

glittery night owl
10-27-2011, 09:19 PM
I use every room in the house except the bathroom ROFL,

Trudy

kaybee
10-28-2011, 05:12 AM
I have white bookcases, 5 of them in my craft room with all of my staming supplies and a stack of 3 iris carts, not with wheels. When I moved to my apartmet, I needed something for my phone, so I put the one with the chunky stamps in there, since I rarely used them. Well the other day I was looking for things for Julie, our pasters daughter, who is a missionary in Mexico with 17 children, natural and adopted. Since I never use the chunky stamps, I decided to give them to her. As I was going through the drawers, voila, there were my ribbons that I have been looking for for the past two years since I moved. I was beginning to think I had left them at the trailer and I would have never thought to look there as I just put them in their to move. I guess sometimes doing a good deed has more rewards than we know. I also have my craft table which holds my Cuttlebug and cutter and various supplies. I am wanting to put a couple of shelves over the craft table for my coffe mugs with all of my pens and a couple of baskets that are starting to fill up my craft table. Having a craft room makes me so happy.

Diana Jones
10-31-2011, 06:25 PM
I am waiting another 2 sets of wire cubes to make shelves out of. I have a black Media cabinet with the touch open glass with some of those acrylic photo frames all stacked in there way too many deep. I always need the one on the bottom of the pile. The cubes will make shelves every inch so I will be able to put a cube of shelves inside one of the natural big shelf areas and break it up so I can pull out just the one set of stamps I'm wanting. I can hardly wait. A friend at work is waiting for cooler weather before sending her DH up into the attic where she thinks they still have them stored. He wasn't so sure so I hope she is right because they are free if she finds them. :)

If I started putting crafts in places like the bathroom I'm not sure I'd
remember or that it wouldn't get moved by another family member. Being a 4 generation means I don't get to put things where I necessarily think they could or should go. The kitchen is more my DIL's territory as she and my DH do almost all the cooking. Sometimes the new mommy cooks too and does a nice job. No room for crafts there and sometimes I mess up the table in the dinning room for a week or two at a time and feel horrible. That is why I don't get anything done craft wise, by time I haul it all from the garage, play time is over and it stays there until I find more time to play which isn't often.

I will tell you the least helpful thing that I bought because it is a pain in the neck. I got one of those multi-colored drawered rolling racks. They come in 10 or 20 drawer and I got the 20 drawered one at a garage sale for $10.00and I think they sell for about $169. give or take some. The trouble with them is that when you pull the drawer out and go to put it back the sides are a little bowed toward the middle of the drawer so they don't stay in the shallow track the whole time. You have to be very purposefull to keep the front of the drawer in line with the rail or it will drop out on the side. Now I know why she sold it, it drove her nuts! I find I tend to store light things in it until I can find a permanent home for the item. I like the fact that it is on wheels because it is always in the way. I hope this helps someone be informed before they spend the big bucks on a new one.

Well, it is 7:11 and I'd better get to sleep.

Eph429
10-31-2011, 06:32 PM
Diana, is there any way you can take a picture of those racks with the cubes

Diana Jones
11-01-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm not that technically savey but I saw them on the net. I am going now to see if I can find them now and let you know how to find them, wish me luck. Sometimes I find stuff only to lose it again.

You are in luck! I found it by going to you tube and searching: homemade 12x12 paper storage shelving
Luvleescrappin put up a video there. I will say that you don't have to have the circle corners, I did my shelves with just the cable ties. She tells you a few places to buy the cubes new and you can buy about 3 sets to make the unit. I prefer to get them at garage sales cheap. People don't like them because they don't hold together well with just those round corners. I got a white set a few weeks ago for $2.00 because she said she missplaced all the circle corner connectors. I passed up a black set for $5.00 last weekend because I have a couple sets coming to me free I think if she is right that they are in her attic. I would also think to ask friends if they by chance have any they don't use that they would give to you cheap. I'll bet they'd give them free just to get rid of them! They are a pain to store. I've still got the $2.00 set in the back of my van as I don't know yet where to put them. I may use the white set as the papershelf inside a black cube but then I may use it as the exterior rack and the black ones for the innershelves. Hope you have some fun. The shelves really have alot of potential as you can configure them as deep as you want up to the whole 13" cube or maybe down to 1" like I do for the papers and the acrylic picture frames holding my wood mounted stamps which is so handy!!!

Eph429
11-01-2011, 06:15 PM
I'm not that technically savey but I saw them on the net. I am going now to see if I can find them now and let you know how to find them, wish me luck. Sometimes I find stuff only to lose it again.

You are in luck! I found it by going to you tube and searching: homemade 12x12 paper storage shelving
Luvleescrappin put up a video there. I will say that you don't have to have the circle corners, I did my shelves with just the cable ties. She tells you a few places to buy the cubes new and you can buy about 3 sets to make the unit. I prefer to get them at garage sales cheap. People don't like them because they don't hold together well with just those round corners. I got a white set a few weeks ago for $2.00 because she said she missplaced all the circle corner connectors. I passed up a black set for $5.00 last weekend because I have a couple sets coming to me free I think if she is right that they are in her attic. I would also think to ask friends if they by chance have any they don't use that they would give to you cheap. I'll bet they'd give them free just to get rid of them! They are a pain to store. I've still got the $2.00 set in the back of my van as I don't know yet where to put them. I may use the white set as the papershelf inside a black cube but then I may use it as the exterior rack and the black ones for the innershelves. Hope you have some fun. The shelves really have alot of potential as you can configure them as deep as you want up to the whole 13" cube or maybe down to 1" like I do for the papers and the acrylic picture frames holding my wood mounted stamps which is so handy!!!
Found it. Nifty! Thanks for sharing! Susan
http://www.youtube.com/user/Luvleescrappin#p/search/0/WoeJHDAO9pc

Diana Jones
11-01-2011, 07:15 PM
I played a little while while at youtube and found some more helpful storage solutions.

Ribbon takes up alot of room but here are three nice spots to check out for ideas:

youtube/cherryjewell
outube/phoenixxjea
youtube/kmckaydesigns

Check out: clear stamp storage system.wmv
I have been frustrated with the CD cases both being too small and too fragile and this site showed me how to use the clear cases that are sold by Stampin Up. They seem pretty reasonable but I also want to see what Judi sells and some of the other places Posh has been affiliated with because I remember some cases. I am currently using plastic boxes to store stamps in their manufactured packages by mfg but I like the idea that was presented with the biners and sewing your own thicker sheet protectors into custom sized areas because I'm tired of the boxes and boxes sitting everywhere of different sizes and styles.

On the other hand, I did just spend $42. on some plastic milk crate type containers in 1/2 size and 1/4 size and they make great drawers, the smaller into the larger. I just don't know what I will put in them and where to sit the whole bank of these things. I have 10 or 12 (I forget) of the half size milk crates. They will stack nicely two by two I think. I prefer the look of wood but I just couldn't pass up the price. The larger are black and the smaller are red. :) Hope you all enjoy watching youtube like I did!

stampwilly
11-03-2011, 06:04 AM
I was fortunate when we built a house 5 years ago that I was able to have my own craft room and had shelves, counter top and drawers built in. But, I guess you can never have enough space! LOL! One "crafty" thing I use is a clear shoe pocket holder that goes over the door and I put my punches in the pockets. It is clear so that I can see the punches easily.

Stampwilly

Eph429
11-03-2011, 08:10 AM
I was fortunate when we built a house 5 years ago that I was able to have my own craft room and had shelves, counter top and drawers built in. But, I guess you can never have enough space! LOL! One "crafty" thing I use is a clear shoe pocket holder that goes over the door and I put my punches in the pockets. It is clear so that I can see the punches easily.

Stampwilly

I do that, too. Love to find alternatives like this.

Diana Jones
11-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Well, I played with the milk crates and put them next to a wood bookcase next to my bedroom door in the hall and so far most of them are empty. I decided to put as many clear stamps as I could in there still in their packages so I'd know their mfg. I had to open the packs and fold over the back paper after scoring it and then fold over the plastic outter pkg so that I could reclose it and it would fit into the smaller crate and the small crate fit into the larger crate like a drawer.
I also cut lots of paper spools and started taking my ribbons off the spools they came with and decided it's alot of work and I'm not sure after doing about 8 of them that it's worth the work and also decided I probably like the fact that the spools turn but the other way you have to open a drawer and take out what you want and then cut and put it back. It isn't as decorative or easy so I am in a holding pattern right now deciding whether to take them off the spools. I also found that some of my ribbons should stay on the spool because of wires or because the ribbons get folds in them if you put on a flat paper spool. That means I'd have two different places for the ribbon and I don't think I'd want that. Besides they are pretty to look at on spools; just don't have the faintest idea where to store and display them if possible. For now they are still on spools in the VHS cases which hold lots of VHS tapes.

I bought a wood cassette holder at a thrift store with removable plastic dividers and I am contemplating drilling holes down each side and putting dowels in to hold the spools of ribbon. I sure wish I hadn't discarded the 8 or more spools I already converted so I could put the ribbons back on them.

Diana Jones
11-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Well, I think I will use the wire 13 X 13 X 1 inch shelves I made from those 13inch cubes for paper and do the next ones I build 2" apart because the 1" incrememt is a little tight most the time because some of the acrylic photo holders that I have the stamps in are smaller than an inch and some must be right at an inch and they are tight going in and out and I don't want to work that hard at my stamping. Hopefully if I put a thinner and thicker one together in one biggerslot they will fit looser and still be easy to pull out. I can still pull out the ONE I want and leave the other instead of pulling off 6 on top of the one I want like I currently do. :)

I do love them and though the holders will hold the papers just fine without them being protected in plastic I do have them in plastic and then in the holders because they are in the garage and I have the holders already and don't want to waste them or store them empty. It is also great to just grab and go if I ever had any place to take them. I don't but it is good to be prepared. Some day I hope to have a life other than work which is giving me nightmares lately. I slept in until 9 this morn when DH woke me thinking I didn't want to sleep the whole day away. Silly man, I think I could have handled that. "ROFLMHO"