PDA

View Full Version : Doing any Stamping for Christmas...

Daniel
11-25-2011, 08:58 AM
...aside from cards?:D

Do you use stamps to make gifts, decorations, wraps, etc.? If so, tell us about them. If you are able to share pix of your output, that'd be fine, too.

Diana Jones
11-25-2011, 09:31 PM
I can hardly wait to see what all of you do. I doubt I will get myself together enough to do any stamping. I dream of a day I can afford to retire and sit myself down to my craft table and create to my hearts content. Until then it's only a dream!!!

Daniel
11-26-2011, 04:27 AM
We no longer put up the big tree, so I'm probably not going to do stamped ornaments, but might take some of my many snowmen stamps & snowflake punches & make a 'scene' under the mantlepiece one we've used the past few years. Not sure whether I'll use compressed Styro, craftfoam or cardstock. All 3 have varied possibilities. In fact I may 'whack two snowbirds with one snowball ' & use the same stamps & punches to make tags & embellies for the few gifts I'm giving. I have 2 Santa Swaps & that would certainly be a way to get a bit ahead.

Far as using stamps on actual gifts? I'm leaning toward the semi-homemade route. Think I'll find 'blanks'--ceramic, glass & fabric--& use StazOn since it's permanent on all those surfaces. And I have lots of glass paints that don't require baking to set.

Glad I started this thread 'cause it let's me think about these things aloud (as it 'twere)!

winsrella
11-26-2011, 11:41 AM
I took a picture of my cat yawning. I was thinking of enlarging it, cutting it out, and putting some money(bills) inside his cut out mouth. I would stamp a border around the card, picture, or whatever it turns out to be. My nephew will get a kick out of that.

redned
11-26-2011, 12:46 PM
Sounds like a wonderful idea.

Kathy N.
11-26-2011, 02:48 PM
I'm stamping coasters, pendants and bookmarks for Christmas.

Daniel
11-27-2011, 04:26 AM
LOL, Ann! Love your 'yawning cat' idea. That would also make a great game/toy, too. Apply the enlarged photo on matteboard & let players take turns tossing small balls, catnip mice, etc. into kitty's open mouth.

Good ones, Kathy! Are you using anything 'special' for your coaster bases?

Had another idea for something I can make as gifts & send in a flat envelope--like Kathy's bookmarks. I think I'll do some 'tealight surrounds'. Using a piece of stiff acetate, I'll stamp, color & cut. It will fit in business size envelope & the receiver 'assembles' it by curving it into a circle--securing the ends with the scor-tape I'll apply to one end of the surround. These also look good on a table around the base of a vase or filled with small candies.

winsrella
11-27-2011, 02:42 PM
Like the idea of a game, Daniel. Maybe I will also do that along with the money mouth. After I start on my Christmas cards, I'll think that one over. Has possibilities. Sorta like the "book" I am going to make for my brother. I'm going to take all the pictures (about 20) of horses I took this summer. Out of all I took, about 2 turned out well. Am going to do something humerous with them, but havn't thought it through yet. In some pictures the horse moved and all I got was the hay on the floor, or a leg and hoof, one eye, etc. I did get a great silhouette of a horse which was my best one. I guess that one will go on the front, so he thinks he's getting a masterpiece. Ha!

kaybee
11-28-2011, 04:02 AM
I am doing necklaces with the pateras and crystal laquer. Not really stamping, but kind of related.

Daniel
11-28-2011, 01:58 PM
I am doing necklaces with the pateras and crystal laquer. Not really stamping, but kind of related.

Sounds cool , Kay. Not familiar with pateras. Can you enlighten me? Love learning stuff I don't know!:D

Eph429
11-28-2011, 02:02 PM
Like the idea of a game, Daniel. Maybe I will also do that along with the money mouth. After I start on my Christmas cards, I'll think that one over. Has possibilities. Sorta like the "book" I am going to make for my brother. I'm going to take all the pictures (about 20) of horses I took this summer. Out of all I took, about 2 turned out well. Am going to do something humerous with them, but havn't thought it through yet. In some pictures the horse moved and all I got was the hay on the floor, or a leg and hoof, one eye, etc. I did get a great silhouette of a horse which was my best one. I guess that one will go on the front, so he thinks he's getting a masterpiece. Ha!

It would be fun to get a gift like that. The idea sounds great!

Eph429
11-28-2011, 02:03 PM
I'm making fan fold magnets for Christmas, some I'm making into wreathe clusters and adding Christmas organdy with glitter.

kaybee
11-28-2011, 02:21 PM
They are a metal form that can be a cicle, square, or recctangle. The sides are raised up and you can put a picture in them. Then you fill them with crystal laquer and it levels out and doesn't go past the sides. I think they are in Judikins catelog. I picked mine up at the mini meet.

then you put them on a cord or chain and you have a necklace.

Kathy N.
11-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Here's one of my stamped coasters. I found them at the Christmas Tree Shop which is sort of like a Big Lots here on the east coast. They came four coasters in a box like holder. I originally thought they were ceramic because they were heavy but they are plastic. The box and the coasters were all solid gold. I used the the evergreen spray and pine cone from the Posh Christmas Cube by Judikins. I stamped with Colorbox chalk inks, heat set them and then coated the tops with Gel du Soleil.

yankee
11-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Love the coasters! Someone will be lucky to receive them.

DebRN
11-28-2011, 02:55 PM
Great ideas and great coasters, KathyN. DebRN

Eph429
11-28-2011, 04:19 PM
They are a metal form that can be a cicle, square, or recctangle. The sides are raised up and you can put a picture in them. Then you fill them with crystal laquer and it levels out and doesn't go past the sides. I think they are in Judikins catelog. I picked mine up at the mini meet.

I like the way you describe this - makes it seem achievable and fun for gift giving. Is there a link?

Daniel
11-28-2011, 04:30 PM
Cool coasters, Kathy! They will work year round!

winsrella
11-28-2011, 06:14 PM
Great coasters!!

Kathy N.
11-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the nice comments on my coaster. Now I want to stamp up a cat set.

Daniel
11-30-2011, 04:21 AM

They sound interesting, Kay. Thanx for the info.

stampwilly
11-30-2011, 05:43 AM
Great coasters! I am only making Christmas cards. We are not exchanging many gifts this year. I have made card sets and holders in the past.

Stampwilly

kaybee
11-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Love the coasters. I would love getting something like that. Cats sound great. I miss having a cat, but with my balance issues, it would be dangerous.
I think there is a Webisode on making the necklaces on Paper Wishes. I'm sure ther are also you tube videos. I'll check into it.

JulieB.T.
11-30-2011, 07:20 AM
Love your pinecone coasters!! Thanks for the inspiration!

kaybee
11-30-2011, 08:09 AM
I did some research and I found info on pateras in the best place possible, Judikins. She has a video. Also I put in my search (You tube jewelry making on pateras) and got a video from Nunn designs for rubber stamping on flat pateras. On Paper Wishes, click on the webisode TV. That will give you a search archives. Go to Easy patera, easy peasy, Cicle pendants, metal jewelry and impress jewelry.

Kathy N.
11-30-2011, 10:49 AM
Daniel, here is a link to the Judikins Patera video.

http://www.judikins.com/projects/techniques_videos/video_tvwpv001.html

kaybee
11-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Thanks for putting the link for Danial. I can never figure that out. I try putting in whats at the top of my computer, but it never works.

Daniel
12-01-2011, 05:11 AM
Thanks Kathy! And Kay? When in doubt, I just keep pressing & clicking icons...LOL!

glittery night owl
12-02-2011, 09:58 PM
YES Daniel I am going to wrap and stamp harold again just

like last year ROFL

Trudy

kaybee
12-05-2011, 05:54 AM
If I have time, I am considering stamping coasters with the Stampin Up Medallion. My ex is going to take me shopping this week. His car had been on the fritz. We may have a few more trips in it, before it dies altogether.

glittery night owl
12-06-2011, 11:07 AM
I think Harold will stamp something for me I hope,

Trudy

JeanneLee
12-07-2011, 06:16 AM
Kathy, your coasters turned out lovely!

I am thinking on stamping out some sets of cards for my mom and a few friends.

NOT stamping, but want to do some glass etching using vinyl and my Cricut.
I bought a few of those glass blocks...need to get them done soon!
I will share when they are finished.