PDA

View Full Version : Posh Recipes

Kathy N.
12-22-2011, 03:00 PM
There seems to be some interest in sharing recipes so here's the place to do it. It'd be cool if you could stamp up and attach a picture to go with your recipe but it's not a requirement.

JulieB.T.
12-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Ok, I was supposed to give you my coleslaw recipe but I told Daniel that it changes every time. Mine are nothing special.I use both green and red cabbage along with carrots, mayo,pineapple juice and usually raisens or pineapple which is my fav.Also some kind of seeds! I crush them up .I think I use the caraway seeds.Also a bit of salt and pepper.If it is vinegar based , I use both cabbages,carrots again raisens and or pineapple +the juice again,Asian vinegar,a bit of sugar and salt and pepper and maybe some green onions.I usually end up eating it since my husband doesn't like vinegar alot. He likes the mayo based slaw. I would LOVE to get a new recipe!!

Daniel
12-23-2011, 06:35 AM
1. Hand shred (not grate) a head of Green Cabbage using a the large holes on your grater. Avoid the heart as it's bitter.

2. Place the shredded cabbage in a bowl. sprinkle with salt & cover. Allow the cabbage to sit @ room temp for a couple of hours so the salt can pull our moisture.

3. Drain the cabbage, Place in cold water & press in a sieve to dry.

4. Place Cabbage in a glass or ceramic dish & make the dressing...

Dressing

Plop a large dose of Miracle Whip on top of the cabbage & combine well. Now taste. Not sour enough? add a splash of cider vinegar & mix well. Taste. Too sour? add a bit of sugar; combine & taste. Once you're happy with the balance, cover tightly & refridgerate to age.

The above is what I grew up on. But mom has moved along with the years--somewhat... These days we use mayonnaise with a bit of MW to start. We still tweak with cider vinegar, tho'.

Mom also uses her food processor to shred the cabbage--saves her knuckles. And (for me) she puts in a bit of shredded carrot (also helps sweeten).

I like a touch of (prepared) mustard in the dressing--yellow, brown, dijon--not enough to make it 'mustardy', tho'.

Aging is super important! 8 hours is mom's minimum--& give it stir every few hours.

JulieB.T.
12-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Thanks Daniel! Good old Miracle Whip! That would do the trick for mine.I will try it.I use it in my chicken salad mix that I put in cream puffs.It adds just the right zing!

Daniel
12-23-2011, 08:11 AM
LOL, Julie! Glad you still like 'MW'. Even mom agrees that its taste has changed for her. She's still not 100% mayonnaise, but uses it more these days...

Daniel
12-23-2011, 08:15 AM
Thanks Daniel! Good old Miracle Whip! That would do the trick for mine.I will try it.I use it in my chicken salad mix that I put in cream puffs.It adds just the right zing!

Ever try 'Dijonnaise' (if it's still made)? It has a nice 'zing' for chicken, crab, shrimp salads & love it hot in pate-a-choux puffs, Julie.;)

kaybee
12-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Here is my puppy chow recipe;
9 C. Dhex cerial
1 C choc chips
1/2 C peanut butter
1/4 C butter
1/4 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 C powdered sugar
Put cereal in big bowl.Melt choc chips, peanut butter, and butter. I use microwave.
Remove from heat, add vanilla. Pour over chex cereal. Put in a lg plastic bag with powered sugar and shake well to coat. Spread evenly on waxed paper to cool. (I skip this step)

kaybee
12-23-2011, 11:06 AM
That should read 9 C. Chex cereal

JulieB.T.
12-23-2011, 12:17 PM
I have had Dijonaise but only on sandwiches.I will try it on the other things.Thanks!

Kathy N.
12-23-2011, 02:44 PM
I make my own Dijonaise and use it for everything. I usually use the ratio of two parts mayonaise to one part mustard. I don't bother using Dijon mustard. I use whatever I have. My husband likes it with a Polish mustard. Can't think of the name but the plastic jar looks like a little barrel. I made it orginally to go with chicken nuggest. Then we used it for turkey keilbasa and turkey sweet sausage. One day I saw my husband dipping his french fries in and it sounds yucky but it's really good. It's also a great dip for raw veggies.

Daniel
12-24-2011, 02:30 AM
Excellent tip on DIY 'Dijonnaise', Kathy! I too like doing semi-from-scratch sometimes. Less expensive & greater options for varying the flavor.

Looks like our recipe thread is off to a good begining...:)

JulieB.T.
12-24-2011, 08:27 AM
I have to admit, I am hooked on the Dijon brand of mustard.I always put it in my homemade Italian dressing.Barengo vinegar or any good red wine vinegar, EVOO or salad oil, salt and pepper, Dijon, a bit of sugar, Italian dried herbs,fresh garlic,splash of water and Balsamic vinegar.I think that is it. The parts are 2 parts oil to 1 part vinegar or about.SOOOO, lets see, for 1/2 cup oil, add 1/4 cup vinegar, one clove garlic sliced in half, 1/4 tsp.black pepper and 1/8 tsp. salt.Add 1 Tbs. of Balsamic vinegar and 1 tsp.sugar along with 2 tsp. of dried Italian herbs (that have been rubbed in your hands to bring out the flavors) and about 2 tsp. of Dijon mustard and about 1-2 tbs.of water.Shake very well and adjust seasonings to your liking.FOr some reason, my mother's is ALWAYS better than mine:)This is so much better in my opinion that Good Seasons packaged that I still use for emergencies and other things:)

JulieB.T.
12-24-2011, 08:30 AM
I've had that mustard that you are talking about in the barrel though I also forgot what it is called. We have a Napa Valley brand of mustards here out west from the Napa Valley Mustard company that are really yummy.Very sweet,thick,grainy(some with beer in them) or not that are very popular. Maybe I will surprise someone this year with a present:)Ho ,HO,HO!

JulieB.T.
12-24-2011, 08:35 AM
Hey, let's start up a recipe swap after the New Year where we have to all use the same size card and of course decorate it.Then, maybe a swap where we use an 8 1/2 x11 paper, decorate it and write/type op the recipe on it.They did this at the cardmaking store near me and every month one person would make the recipe and share with the group.Then they would decorate the page with things that were in the shop.Just an idea.Remember Dee has stamps that will fit into this swap or I'm sure you all have some in your stash that you can also use.remember, the key word is AFTER the New Year...wayyyy after:)

Meowcats
12-27-2011, 04:06 AM
oh i luv this THREAD! :)
Daniel, MARZETTI the Original Slaw Dressing is the one we use now, the best among all others we tried. I'll try yours though. Thank you and ladies! :)

JulieB.T.
12-27-2011, 07:15 AM
Just made a coleslaw last night.Simple and tasty.Grated carrots,hand shredded purple and green cabbage,crushed caraway seeds, salt and pepper, sugar or I used a bit of Truvia , a splash of Dole Paradise Blend fruit juice and raisens.I don't like mine very sweet so this turned out well for me. I also made some really good chile beans.I bet I have made 50 different kinds of chile beans over the years because I make them with whatever comes to mind. Two cups of dried pinto beans cooked in water , salt /pepper and 2 bay leaves.Also one 4 oz can of chopped jalepeno peppers, about 4 Tbs. of chile powder, 7-8 minced garlic with two white diced onions that have both been sauteed in oil.One can-15 oz. of chopped tomatoes and about 1 1/2-2 pounds of browned ground beef, drained if necessary.Also 2 cans of drained kidney beans and 1/2 bottle of good dark beer! Last but not least, 1 Tbs. of cumin powder or ground seeds.I did not drain the beans, but just added everything to the water. I cooked the chile on med.low(always bubbling) in a castiron dutch oven for a couple of hours stirring often so as not to burn.This recipe I really liked.Sometimes I make chile and it is ok. I guess sometimes you just get the right amounts of everything.Jack said it will be even better today! Top with grated sharp cheddar cheese, avocado and/or white onion diced.Need more heat, add cayenne or red chile flakes.This was a mild chile.You could also use ground turkey which we have many times. I would have only had pinto beans, but my husband was raised with kidney beans in his chile so I always add them now.True love!

Kathy N.
12-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Nothing is better during the winter than a good bowl of chili and some crusty bread. Now you made me hungry Julie.

JulieB.T.
12-27-2011, 03:56 PM
We're having turkey breast and salad tonight.Quick and easy!

winsrella
12-27-2011, 08:06 PM
Here's my favorite chili. I think it is not "real" chili, but I like it. In dutch oven 1 1/2 lb. ground beef, 2 packages of frozen chopped onions. Brown all this together. Drain. Add 1 C. catsup, 1 bottle of Heinz chili sauce, 2 lg. cans of red kidney beans - drained, 1 can of condensed Campbells tomato soup. Cover and simmer 2-4 hours. Stir some during the simmering. I sometimes serve this over macaroni or spaghetti with sharp grated cheddar. It came from my aunt, who was a home ec teacher in MN. I call it A Kinder Gentler Chili.

Kathy N.
01-02-2012, 02:33 PM
I was looking for something healthy to eat for lunch yesterday as I want to lose 10lbs. this year. I had veggies left over from the marinated veggies I had made plus there was cabbage left over from when Jen made stuffed cabbage. I sauteed some cabbage, zucchini, mushrooms, cauliflower and garlic in olive oil, sprinkled it liberally with Mrs. Dash table blend salt free seasoning and then threw on some shredded cheddar cheese. Yum.

JulieB.T.
01-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Yum, that sounds good! I love cabbage and cauliflower.I use lots of Mrs. Dash's seasonings too:) The Garlic one is my fave,but I use the BBQ one for extra zing.

JulieB.T.
01-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Cheddar Cheese Coins are in the fridge right now waiting to be sliced. I use 1 cube butter, 1 cup white flour, 1 jar Old fashioned Cheddar Cheese, a few splashes of hot sauce or a sprinkling of cayenne for hotter flavor and a bit of salt if you want.There is usually enough in the cheese and butter for me.make the dough into rolls the circumfrance of a walnut and chill.Slice and bake at 425 till golden about 8-10 minutes.You could use finely grated cheddar too if you wanted.My mom made these when I was very young.Do you remember the olives where you wrap around them the same type of cheese mix and then freexe, then bake? They are from the 50s and very yummy! I think I will defrost some dough and make some cheesy olives for later:) All this for a football games that I never watch! Oregon is ahead right now:)

cardmaker
01-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Julie, you're making my mouth water! I could eat the whole thing, especially with the olives, but I hear my Dr. leaning over my shoulder whispering "remember your high blood pressure and cholesterol!!!" LOL :D

Janet

JulieB.T.
01-02-2012, 08:08 PM
Dang, Janet! Sorry!! Clam dip was good and so were the olives. Next time, I will use the little Spanish olives instead of the big ones. I made the Chex Mix and doubled the sauce for it.Oh,my,gosh, it was soooo salty that every morning I woke up with swollen ankles and eyes(that is lids ). I was only having a couple of cups of it each day, but always some at night before bed as I was watching tv,( :o) but I guess that was wayyyyy too much for me! My ankles are back to normal.This is way we only have this stuff once a year.Can you all believe I only had one piece of See's Candy at Christmas(not including the marshmallow Santa that I ate a week before!!) Normally, I probably eat 1 lb.during the month before and after Christmas. It's only about 25 pieces but boy are they yummy! As you can see, I have hardly any self-control when it comes to See's Candy!

glittery night owl
01-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Yummy receipes, soooo who is cooking dinner for me :confused:

Trudy

kaybee
01-29-2012, 02:47 AM
Kathy, love cabbage, cauliflower and mushrooms. Sounds delicious.

kaybee
02-01-2012, 03:58 PM
Daniel, I was on Pinterest this afternoon and founf a recipe for southern fried cabbage. Will have to det me some cabbage and try it.

JulieB.T.
02-02-2012, 04:13 AM
I was on it also this past week and found a recipe for Butterfingers. You melt equal amounts of candy corn and peanut butter.When mixed well, pour into a baking dish,set aside for 12(24 if you want crunchy bars) cut, then dip in milk chocolate! I am going to try them:)

Kathy N.
02-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Julie where are you finding cany corn now?

JulieB.T.
02-03-2012, 05:56 PM
I haven't looked, but Brach's is the best brand for that.I will look in our local Drug/food store like Wal-Greens and Wal-Mart. I think I should be able to find a bag or two.I think we also have a candy store in the Mall that will have them, or even on-line.

winsrella
02-03-2012, 07:24 PM
Daniel, your slaw sounds delicious. I have always loved slaw. I will have to try this.

ceramics
02-05-2012, 10:03 AM
I LOVE this thread. Thank you to everyone that has shared their recipes. I will have to dig out my favorites and post a few!

JulieB.T.
02-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Daniel, I just saw another recipe where Miracle Whip was used! I must try that the next time I make it.That just might be the zing that my coleslaw needs!

Daniel
02-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Although our local weather this winter has been very mild, mom & I are still enjoying some soups & stews that are warm & comforting. However... We're running into the usual problem with meals--same old; same old. KWIM?

We have lots of old reliables, but we get a hankering to try something different. Not necessarily radical, tho':D

So here's my question for those who've 'been there'... What new dish, menu, whatever did you add to your table as the result of a 'food doldrums'? Or maybe you tried a 'new' herb or spice?

Case in point. We both like savoury pies & I'm thinking I'd like to tackle doing a 'tortiere'. Never tried it, but I have both ground beef & pork available, as well as the taters & such. Another option would be 'shepherd pie', but no lamb (mom doesn't like). And there's always the 'impossible pies' from Bisquik!

Anyone got a (savoury) pie recipe to share--the less 'from scratch'; the better.

For this request I'm looking for pies--not casseroles. My definition of a pie is a 'crust' with 'filling'. Crust need not be flour-based & filling can be durn near whatever...:p

winsrella
02-06-2012, 10:22 AM
No savory pie recipes in my wooden file box to fit 4x6 cards that Dad made me thirty or so years ago. I really like the impossible pies with Bisquick. I have made both the dessert and dinner ones. Yummy! You want my delicious meat loaf recipe, which is my Grandma's from the thirties?

JulieB.T.
02-06-2012, 01:38 PM
Here's a quickie. Bake(I either bake or use cut up breasts that are cooked or boil a chicken or chicken pieces, cut up chicken into bite-size pieces, add frozen veggies, add cooked potatoes and sauteed mushrooms, salt and pepper, then add a gravy of chicken broth and sauteed diced onions that has been thickened by cornstarch and or milk.Pour over chicken and vegies, cover with a frozen/defrosted pie dough and back in over at 325 or so for 1/2 hour or a bit longer.Use a defrosted (cooked?)piedough for the bottom of the pie dish.I made this along time ago, it was easy and both my son and hubby liked it.You may add bay leaves and seasoning(poultry) to the broth.I forgot both of them.Add them and let them cook for awhile before you add the cornstarch.I think that is it.I made this sound complicated, but it IS easy.

Daniel
02-07-2012, 05:34 AM
I'm a sucker for good meatloaf, Ann! Hmmm. 'Meatloaf Pie' sounds like fun. Maybe frozen hashbrown taters for the crust & lots of brown gravy on the side.

LOL, Julie! Nope. You didn't make it complicated & I love pies with 'built-in' gravy!

Looked over a couple of 'tourtiere' recipes & several sound like they'd work with a good meatloaf recipe. Kinda like 'meatloaf en croute'.

JulieB.T.
02-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Daniel, I have a young friend who is French/Canadian/Portugese. I will ask her if she has a meat pie recipe.In retrospect, I do believe that my gravy was made with chicken broth (usually either canned or in a carton,but homemade when I can) and not milk, though that is fine too.Last night, I made chicken(I used canned c.breast from Costco which is like Wal-Mart)dried onions,salt and pepper and frozen peas over toast and a bit of butter with Almond milk! You could NOT tell the difference from 2% milk that I use to use! Do you have almond milk back east?It is sooo much better for those of us in our later years when ingredients are so important(less sat.fat,cal.carbs,sodium etc. and more of the good vitamins) You can use homemade c.broth if you like .Almond milk is easy to use and there is a recipe on the internet.Is is just not meant for babies or very young children.They need a certain amount of fat for their brain devel. and some of that comes from dairy products which are very good for most of us. Alright then Julie, what are you ?? A nutritionist,farmer's daughter, vegan ??? Sorry, I got of the subject!

Daniel
02-07-2012, 09:22 AM
LOL, Julie! Yes you did get 'off topic', but you do it so well, pal! :-D

Thing I'm finding is that having separate herbs & spices (rather than just mixes) makes a huge difference. Definitely time for moi to rebuild my pantry with them.

JulieB.T.
02-07-2012, 08:19 PM
Oh yes, when spices are separate you can add exactly what you like. Also, I always rub the dry spices between my palms to make them a bit more pungent! In my mind it does anyway! Always remember, more "fresh", less "dry" when using herbs or you will be overly or underly herbed when cooking! Yum, have any of you had the Andes cookies?? They are dee~licious! I am on my third one now! They're small:) My favorite dry herbs are, Italian,Basil,Cumin, Garlic powder,dark chili powder,Oregano,black and white pepper,Curry, and Sage, in that order.What about you Daniel? I use Mrs.Dash's garlic the most.

stampingground
02-16-2012, 05:03 PM
I love this thread! Always looking for a new recipe!

JulieB.T.
02-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Does anyone make the Pesto Torte "dip"? It is delicious.I will share it if you want.Let me know.

Kathy N.
02-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Yes, please Julie. I could use a new dip to take next time my cousin has a party.

JulieB.T.
02-17-2012, 06:13 PM
Ok, until I find the recipe.You mix softened cream cheese(maybe three of the 8 oz.bricks) with about 1/2 cube(4oz) of soft butter and clove of crushed garlic along with maybe a tsp.or so of pesto.Mix well. Layer a piece of cheese cloth onto the bottom of a mold, then put in 1/2 to 1/3 of the cream cheese and spread it out.Then add a layer of about 1/2 ince of pesto on top.Then another layer of cream cheese,then pesto,then cream cheese and end up with pesto.Wrap the dip with the (sorry ,dampened cheese cloth) and fold it over the dip.Press down gently all around.You may also add a layer or two of pureed sundried tomatoes.Pput in frideg for a few hours till it firms up.That is it.I will hunt down the REAL amounts tonight. Dee~licious and I serve it with water crackers(the plain ones that are crunchy and taste like saltines) that have sesame seeds on top.They are the same ones that are used for Aram sandwiches only those come in sheets.

kaybee
02-18-2012, 06:17 AM
Has anyone seen the adds for chocolate cream cheese? I can't wait to see what recipes they come up with. Love cream cheese, love chocolate, Together, yum.

JulieB.T.
02-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Oh, yes and I have had some! It is good, but maybe it needs a bit more chocolate and the texture is a bit fluffy.Kind of like they added too much gelatin. It would come in handy in a pinch, but I would keep on using your regular recipe.I liked the lemon better.I don't see it anymore in my local store though.

Diana Jones
02-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Oh my; I was just puttering in the livingroom where I had loaned some cookbooks for the grand-daughter to cook with and I found a Miracle Whip book put out by Kraft in 1989! I will have to see what they have in it for ideas to spring from. My hubby David is a great cook and he buys all sorts of cookbooks at garage sales while I'm busy looking for crafting/stamping items. :)

Kathy N.
02-20-2012, 05:52 AM
Back around Thanksgiving, there was pumpkin creamcheese. Boy was that good. I had that pumpkin creamcheese everyday on a bagel which is why my butt looks the way it does.

JulieB.T.
02-20-2012, 06:14 PM
I have a Pumpkin Cheesecake recipe, but have never used it.One day I will! I think it was from Philly Cream Cheese in a magazine.Two layer type thing.Looked dee~licious! My favorite flavored cream cheese is chive and onion and salmon.Use them both on toasted bagels.

kaybee
04-02-2012, 06:39 AM
We went to our usual after church resterant, and Mike, the owner told me that they had Rueben soup. He said that I should try it. I wasn't sure because he said the broth was made with the thousand island dressing. In the soup was corned beef, saurkraut, bread and cheese. I decided to take a chance and I'm so glad I did. It was wonderful. Now I need to try and find a recipe. Has anyone else had such a soup?

Kathy N.
04-02-2012, 02:17 PM
Never hear of a Reuben soup but since I like the sandwiches, I would probably also like the soup.

Daniel
04-03-2012, 09:40 AM
We went to our usual after church resterant, and Mike, the owner told me that they had Rueben soup. He said that I should try it. I wasn't sure because he said the broth was made with the thousand island dressing. In the soup was corned beef, saurkraut, bread and cheese. I decided to take a chance and I'm so glad I did. It was wonderful. Now I need to try and find a recipe. Has anyone else had such a soup?

Your 'after church' restaurant sounds like a winner, Kay! I'm not a fan of corned beef or rye bread, but the 'thousand island broth' intrigued me. So I went hunting online.

Found a recipe that includes the dressing as an ingredient & doesn't use cream or milk.

reuben soup (http://www.janetcancook.com/wp/?p=21)

Lots of the other recipes I found treat this like 'french onion soup' for serving & I'd be inclined to go that route. I'd toast a slice of rye & top with a slice of good swiss cheese--under the broiler 'til bubbly brown.

Since I don't care for corned beef or rye, I'd be tempted to substitute pastrami & sourdough bread.

And... I'm thinking that salad dressings might be a great way to go for making lots of other soups... Vichysoisse with ranch dressing, anyone?

There are so many great ready-to-use broths available--chicken, beef & vegetable, as well as vegetable juices. Gazpacho with sun-dried tomato salad dressing broth?

BTW, Kay... Next time you go for dinner ask them how they make the broth. Bet they'll share if you say 'pretty please'...:D

JulieB.T.
04-03-2012, 02:00 PM
Sounded ok until the 1,000 Island dressing. I wonder how much to put in according to the amounts of the other items.I make homemade 1,000 dressing(with hardboiled eggs.)Maybe store bought would be better. I think I will just stick to sandwiches:)

Kathy N.
04-03-2012, 02:20 PM
I was also wondering how much of the Thousand Island dressing goes in the recipe.

Daniel
04-04-2012, 05:49 AM
Yeah. I noticed that she didn't indicate how much 'TID' to add. My instinct would be about 1 cup dressing to 6 cups chicken broth.

Julie. I'm not 100% on the broth either, but agree that a commercial dressing would probably work best. Best thousand island I ever had was in a (now closed) restaurant. It included hardboiled eggs & whole stuffed olives. Yummy.

JulieB.T.
04-04-2012, 07:31 AM
I usually use dill pickles, red onion, hard boiled eggs, bell peppers(any color) mayo , ketchup and salt and pepper.I think that is it.A dash of lemon juice and sometimes a speck of Grey Poupon, but the Spanish olives sound good to add.I will try them! It is easy to make.Basically, it is my mom's recipe from my childhood.You could add a bit of honey to make it sweeter or Agave syrup that I have been using lately.I even tossed in a few capers one time.For me though, I have to have the grated hard boiled eggs for it to be 1,ooo Island! I've never seen that in a restaurant but I'm sure that is because eggs spoil faster .I think I will make some today:) ...another favorite is egg and olive sandwiches, which is hard boiled eggs, mayo, salt and pepper and finely chopped black olives.We loved that as kids and still do.Also, my mom used to make cream cheese sandwiches with either sliced black olives or sliced Spanish olives for our lunches.Very different from the other kids, but we loved them! Her parents were from Austria and Switzerland so maybe that is where she got the different tastes! Liverwurst and butter pickles on saltine crackers was a yummy snack for me and I still love liverwurst! Have some in the fridge right now and was JUST thinking of making myself a sandwich for breadfast!

Kathy N.
04-09-2012, 02:59 PM
I made New Jersey sloppy joes to take to my cousin's Easter brunch yesterday. You start with real Jewish rye bread, layer on some meat, either turkey, roast beef or corned beef, add swiss cheese, scoop on some cole slaw and top with Russian dressing. Yum. The dressing and cole slaw leaks out the sides which makes them sloppy.

JulieB.T.
05-08-2012, 11:32 AM
Hi Everyone, here's a good quickie semi-homemade salsa recipe. 3 cans of 14.5 oz chopped or petite cut tomatoes with their sauce(or any kind of canned tomatoes),4-5 chopped green onions ,2 cloves garlic,3 Tbs. of fresh minced cilantro, 1-2 Tbs. of fresh minced oregano, 1 tsp. cumin powder, 2-3 tsp. of red chili flakes, 2 Tbs. dry onion(or 1 white fresh onion minced) salt and pepper, 1 1/2 diced avocados,dash of lime juice and 1 tsp. of cayenne pepper. I pureed the tomatoes in a separate deep bowl and then in another deep bowl, I pureed the chopped up green onions,cilantro and oregano. I added the herbs to the larger bowl, added the rest of the seasonings and let sit for about 45 minutes till the onions were plumped up.I added the diced avocados at the end.Very yummy and spicy for a quick salsa when you don't have fresh tomatoes or fresh jalapenos or onions.I just had some for a pre-lunch snack with chips.Hope you enjoy it.You of course, may vary the herbs and onions etc. according to your taste buds. Mangia!

cardmaker
05-08-2012, 11:46 AM
Wow, everybody! What time are you serving all this delicious food? :eek: I'll be right over. :D Seriously, we have some serious cooks out there with innovative ideas. Keep it up.

Janet

Eph429
05-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Yummy, Julie. I love anything with cilantro, lemon and tomatoes together

Kathy N.
05-08-2012, 02:09 PM
I love salsa but I would leave out the cayenne pepper because I don't like mine that spicy.

JulieB.T.
05-08-2012, 08:53 PM
It sounds like it would be very hot with the cayenne and the chili flakes but it wasn't.I think the tomatoes take some of the sting out .Too hot for me is when my lips burn and are still burning a few minutes after eating. One day,I took a toothpick and touched it to the center of a Habenero chili then to the center of my tongue.One thousand one, one thousand two ,one thou.....HOLY MOLY, the heat started from the center and radiated out to my tongue, mouth and then my head!!!! My son(he was about 8 and wanted to try it, but the good mother that I was said,"Oh, no Eric, it is wayyyy too hot for you! Let me try it out for you!")said, "Mom ,your face is really red!" I told him to get me some sour cream(I could barely talk ~it was like my mouth was frozen except it was hot and not cold) and I let a huge dollop of it sit on my tongue for a long time.There is another chile from I think India called Bhut(boot) Jolokia and it is even HOTTER than the Habenero!! :o??? And now, I read there is even a HOTTER one than THAT! More than 10,000,000 units of heat! Now I say, what IS the POINT??? I want flavor with my chilis, not just pain and tears:)

Kathy N.
05-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Julie there's a show on TV called How Do They Make That that my husband watches and one show was about hot sauce and they mentioned all the really hot peppers and their units of heat. Did you watch that too?

I'm going to a Mother's Day brunch at my cousin's daughter's home Sunday and I think I'm making either bacon and onion bisquits or an apricot-orange brunch tart. I got both recipes from Pillsbury.com. If you ever need anything quick and easy to make you should try there. They have some great recipes.

TerriO
05-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Kathy thanks for the tip on Pillsbury.com That is one food recipe website that I haven't visited. And the items you mentioned taking sound delicious! What time shall I fly in to try them? :D LOL

JulieB.T.
05-09-2012, 07:23 PM
I just bought the new 2012 or 2011 Pillsbury Bakeoff magazine.I have a few from of the old ones , including the 5th year.Fun to see what the recipes were like.I did not see that show but I bet it was interesting.I wonder what the insides of some of these people look like that love really hot peppers?...... Actually, in looking further at it , it is the FINALISTS for the bakeoff.Some really yummy looking desserts in there. Maybe I will make one for Mother's Day! Something with strawberries,whipping cream,angel food cake,vanilla pudding and chocolate has to be in there somewhere! Has anyone ever had that dessert where you tear up an angel food cake(homemade of course, though I have have store bought, it is just not as flavorful or as dense) and gently fold in whipping cream that has been blended with mashed strawberries? My sister-in-law made that for a baby shower for us after our son was born.It is really yummy! You could do it with crushed pineapple instead or boysenberries, blackberries or raspberries too.Peaches too, just make sure the fruit is very ripe.

kaybee
05-17-2012, 06:39 PM
Has anyone ever used quinoa? I'm thinking that could be a better diabetic substitute for potatoes or rice.

JulieB.T.
05-17-2012, 08:53 PM
I love Quinoa! I cook it with chicken broth, minced yellow onions,evoo,herbs,sauteed sliced mushrooms and/or sliced black olives.You can add garbanzo, kidney and black beans to it also. Cold Quinoa you could use diced tomatoes,cucumbers,red onions herbs and olive oil too.Just experiment.It is probably better than potatoes and rice.Brown rice and barley are good too.You just have to watch the amount, but if you put in alot of veggies, it will stretch it out.I just got this months Bon Appetite I think , and it has lots of grain salads.If one sounds good , I will pass it on to you here or in a pm.

kaybee
05-18-2012, 04:58 AM
Thanks Julie, I have seen several recipes on Pinterest and I will get some next time I'm at the store. Good to know about something new to hopefully jazz up my meals in a more healthy way.

JulieB.T.
05-18-2012, 09:30 PM
No problema mi amiga Kay:)Just heard that non-white babies are the majority in California right now.I need to practice my Espanol!

Kathy N.
05-19-2012, 05:58 AM
Here are some recipes that have quinoa in them.

http://jenniferiseating.blogspot.com/search/label/quinoa

cardmaker
05-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Thanks for those quinoa recipes, Kathy N. I've recently began making quinoa and we like it and it's nice to have some other recipes that uses it.
Janet