PDA

View Full Version : Smash Books

Kathy N.
02-07-2012, 02:31 PM
I noticed that Kaybee mentioned a smash book on the birthday thread and I have been hearing about them here and there.

What exactly is a smash book? Is anybody working on one and if so would you share a picture of what they look like?

blossom
02-07-2012, 03:28 PM
From what I have seen a smash book is a book that you decorate in an art style. A style that the owner would like. Two are never alike from what I have seen. I've seen them done in a fashion style and I have seen them done in a stamping style with lots of techniques. I've seen them also done with ripped magazine papers and I have also seen people paint each page a different color. I'm not interested in making one but I love to see what people have done in them. IMHO they are quite unique........the flower child

JulieB.T.
02-07-2012, 08:29 PM
I L~O~V~E this idea! Just saw the K-C video which had a great catchy tune for it! This is what I was meant to do!! I can just see a library of my Smash books in the future! What a great idea! So much better than aving every little bit of paper,note,picture that I just can't part with,tattered notes from my son I refuse to throw away and all my favorite little ideas for my home,yard and memories for my mind that I feel is slipping away sometimes! Check out the video.the song will make you happy!

JulieB.T.
02-07-2012, 08:40 PM
I told you all in another thread that I have two Victorian books that were made by a couple of young girls.They are incredible!! They have pictures from magazines and catalogs that they cut out, handpainted printed images, pieces of floral wallpaper,ribbons,even some blond hair,cartoons,phrases that they thought were funny or interesting,pictures of jewelry,clothing,ladies toiletry items(mirrors,combs etc).Just all kinds of things that a young Victorian girl would like! They had men and childrens fashions,animal and floral pictures place settings of pictures of beautiful china and silver etc.Everything was glued onto printed pages.I will show you one day if I can figure out how to put it onto the thread.It is so special to see what they felt was important funny or special in their young lives.I wish they were here so that I could tell them how much I treasure it.The book was given to them by their father:)

Kathy N.
02-08-2012, 02:40 PM
So, these are like the glue books that came out a year or two ago? For the glue books, you just glued stuff in them like cut out things from books and magazines, ephemera, etc.

JulieB.T.
02-08-2012, 08:16 PM
I think it is more things that you have around you that are important to you or I guess if you have a really clean house and don't save anything, they could be things from newspapers/magazines or from wherever.I think I am going to use it more as a scrap book but with nice background & stickers etc.I would probably need a bigger book than a 5 1/2x 8 1/2.It is kind of like a scrapbook, but not as formal.There, does that make sense? Maybe someone can explain it better.You really should go and watch the video.They did a really good job of it.

Kathy N.
02-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Think I may attempt to do one of these.

glittery night owl
02-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Julie where is the K-C video??? Please put a link up

for us, thank you,

Trudy

Kathy N.
02-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Here's the KC video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PFsArr4Z1s

kaybee
02-10-2012, 04:03 PM
I have stuff that I have saved in envelopes(they are everywhere) Now I am trying to find them all and put them in my smash book. I have pictures of hibiscus from travel broches, pictures of cats from a cat a day calender, pictures of earrings and necklaces that I wanted to make, Phineas and Ferb valentines from last year. Just stuff that I like. That's why I like Pinterest, it's like an online smash book. Pictures of travel,polar bears and pandas,great cards and craft ideas, recipes.

yankee
02-10-2012, 04:24 PM
I saw those books at Michaels, of course I understand what it was.

cobismom2
02-11-2012, 07:33 AM
There are all kinds of SMASH books on Amazon and in the card stores --- and they have pretty nice prices, What I did was to take two black and white composition books, tape the front of one and the back of the second to each other and then cover the front with different pictures that I likes and started working on the inside, Basically, Kathy, they are personal scrapbooks that you don't take the time to do pretty, You put all the things in them that strike your heart, Not necessarily with pretty papers, etc, just tape, glue or affix things in as you wish, Right now, mine has sayings in it, that I like, a couple of tickets from a concert we went to, a recipe that I found, some writing of my own, a picture a little friend gave me.....The idea is to SMASH things in them to keep --- just like a scrap book, only not pretty,

Diana Jones
02-11-2012, 09:56 PM
I saw smash books at Beverly's and didn't understand the whole concept. WOW!!! I love it and have lots of ways I could make them if I ever took the time. I have bought spiral note books and have those composition books that would work too. I think I will introduce the concept to my grand-daughters who I think will love them. I like the idea even for babies; not everything needs to be scrapbook style.

Thanks everyone who shared; that's why I keep coming back to Posh. You all stay up on the newest craze in papercrafts. :)

JulieB.T.
02-12-2012, 04:17 AM
Thanks Kathy N. I didn't know how to what Trudy asked anyway! I think you knew that:)

Wendy
02-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Hmmm.... so that's what they're called! I used to make them myself when I was younger. I just called them memory scrapbooks! I still have a few in my stashed away things and they always slow me down when I come across them when I re-sort and organize my clutter. So many memories.... so nice to have!
~ Wendy

Kathy N.
02-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Think I'm going to make a smash book with all the mail art I get. I'll probably look at it more if it's in a book than the show box it now resides in.