PDA

View Full Version : Doing 'gender-related' projects...

Daniel
02-17-2012, 10:12 AM
With no offense to any of my fellow Poshies, I can't begin to tell you how tired I get when crafters seem to believe that being an 'XY' somehow gives you special insight to producing work that is attractive to males.

I met up with this aspect when I joined the Craft Industry as a designer back in the mid-nineties & keep running into it on the various crafting communities I'm part of.

IF one more person posts, "Yay! We get a male P.O.V.!", I swear I will scream (in a masculine voice, of course):p

My point--& question? Do you believe that an artist's gender matters with regard to their art? Do you think a male crafter is more insightful for doing crafts that will appeal to other males? Do you believe some stamp images, colors & whatever are more masculine than others?

Believe me. I'm not looking to start a fight!:D Just seeking input about this particular aspect of crafting that has been part of my life for decades,

blossom
02-17-2012, 12:53 PM
My answer is a resound no. It doesn't matter what gender you are to make a masculine card. I believe that most crafters have their own style and usually stick to that. I know some males that make very feminine work and some females that make wonderful male art. I think people should learn to appreciate the work of the artist. My husband loves it when I give him a card with flowers on it and it in no way bothers him......the flower child

Kathy N.
02-17-2012, 03:02 PM
Don't think an artist's gender matters at all. I personally prefer to do ethnic art such as, Asian, Mayan, Egyptian, African and Native American. I do a lot of stuff with maps, wild animals, compasses and things that people associate with masculine art. I just like that kind of stuff.

winsrella
02-17-2012, 05:46 PM
I don't think it makes any difference. Art is art whether you're male or female.

loosluck
02-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Gender does not matter in any form of art or life. What constitues male or femalel? I know many males that adore flower and would love a garden scene and some women who just love cars and guns and hate flowes.

JulieB.T.
02-17-2012, 10:34 PM
My husband is not "artistic" at all, but he is a perfectionist.He does not care for things that are "pretty" in the house.He would be happy with bare walls,blah furniture and tasteless food. I swear, he has no tastebuds. I have told him that many times.He lives in Levi pants,Tee shirts(solid dull colors) or boring plaids.If I buy him anything else, he squawks! His closet and drawers are filled with clothes that are fashionable but not worn, since he says there is no need. Yet, he takes incredible pictures of nature(mountains,animals,insects and flowers), buys me pretty Valentine and birthday cards and bouquets of flowers.I think most men are afraid to show people that they like beautiful things more than women are.There are the exceptions:)When you look at what's his name, he definitely has a masculine flair to his stamps but still they have feminine flourishes.I don't think his art has attracted men to make cards.If so, they were already artistic.In the "old days I think that was true Daniel that men stayed with darker colors/images that were more masculine.Maybe not. Now, thanks goodness, people(men and women) being more comfortable with themselves, can produce whatever they want in the artistic field.Long live individuality in the art world!! I don't think you can tell whether an artist is a man or a woman by their artwork...... Usually.Who cares anyway???

Daniel
02-18-2012, 04:12 AM
Thanx for all the wonderful responses!:)

kaybee
02-18-2012, 06:01 AM
I have a male friend that I sent a Christmas card with a bird on it. He told me that he loves birds. Now I know what kind of card to make for him. Proobably wouldn't have thought of birds.

JulieB.T.
02-18-2012, 07:20 AM
Mine was wayyyyy too long!! :) That's it Daniel? :) I thought for sure I was going to get some snappy comeback form you:) Dang! I always like your answers, they make us think "outside the box" for sure:)My male friend next door does all the decorating,designing, yardwork with plants AND he is a great cook.His wife was the total opposite.Maybe that is why they are no longer married;) Daniel, you keep doing what you do and heck with the rest!! You're far better than me and I'm a GIRL!!!! Woman, female whatever!!

Diana Jones
02-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Daniel, very thought provoking!!! I am probably one of those who always thought if I were sending a card to a man that I should put thought into not sending a too flowery looking one. Maybe send one with fish or a mountain scene or birds. Yup, I haven't a clue as to what I should do. PTL right now I don't have time to send cards to anyone so nobody will be offended by sending the wrong look. My DH doesn't care if he gets a card or not; therefore he doesn't understand the amount of rubberstamps I have for doing so and not having time to even use them.

Daniel, I do so appreciate your input to Club Posh. Keep coming back!

Daniel
02-19-2012, 06:08 AM
Mine was wayyyyy too long!! :) That's it Daniel? :) I thought for sure I was going to get some snappy comeback form you:) Dang! I always like your answers, they make us think "outside the box" for sureMy male friend next door does all the decorating,designing, yardwork with plants AND he is a great cook.His wife was the total opposite.Maybe that is why they are no longer married;) Daniel, you keep doing what you do and heck with the rest!! You're far better than me and I'm a GIRL!!!! Woman, female whatever!!

LOL, Julie! Just for you..."Snap out of it!"!:D 'Better than' is not an issue--this ain't a competition 'cause we're not going after jobs. That's a whole different kettle o' carp & I've done that.

Yes. I do have have talent & I'm more comfortable about acknowledging it--took years. That said, there is still a strong element among some editors & mfrs. that truly believes that a male somehow has a 'male perspective'. I disagree & all your posts tell me that you agree with me--more or less.

Along the same lines... I had a couple of editors that insisted on seeing me as a designer for 'kid crafts' given my use of playing with simple materials in different ways. They kept missing the point. My stuff wasn't for kids--it's just the way I work & some kids liked it...