PDA

View Full Version : naming color

Eph429
03-17-2012, 02:49 PM
I was reading in a book, the art of looking sideways about people in New Guinea don't have names for colors - it is a matter of brightness. And in some places green and blue are the same color and yellow and brown, there is no distinction. Anyone can testify to this. I am not talking about color blindness.

JulieB.T.
03-17-2012, 09:25 PM
That's weird, how can they think not give them names? I guess they're living the island life.Things are much more simple living on some islands. I'll have to ask my cousin the next time I see him.I think he lived near there on another island.Lihir is the name of the island.

Diana Jones
03-17-2012, 09:41 PM
I can't imagine not naming colors. If it works for them that's fine but I love our way, it makes it easier to describe something and have the other person know a bit more about what you are talking about.

Daniel
03-18-2012, 08:05 AM
Interesting topic, Susan. Thanks.

I have a book on Japanese kimono. According to it, their language has several words for various colors like green & blue that we might not see any difference between.

Your OP reminds me that the Inuit (Eskimos) have hundreds of words for snow. My point? We have several ways to 'name' colors, too.

For instance... I could tell you I used 'red' in a piece & that evokes a mind's eye visual. What If I say it's 'cardinal' or 'holly berry'? Do you 'see' new reds?

Even using the color wheel to 'name' colors can be complicated. What's the difference (for you) between blue-gray & gray blue? How about if I say I used a 'pinked' green?

Naming color--with & without visual support--is a fascinating subject.

JulieB.T.
03-18-2012, 12:25 PM
Now that's a new one Daniel! Is it green with edgings of pink? I like!!

Daniel
03-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Now that's a new one Daniel! Is it green with edgings of pink? I like!!

Not exactly, Julie. One way I might 'pink' a green would be to do a light-medium green coloring; seal the color & do a pale pink glaze/wash on that.

With this method, I'm not trying to mix colors directly--like putting yellow & blue together to make green. Instead I'm adding a hint for my eye to pick up on.

loosluck
03-19-2012, 03:40 PM
I am thinking that we could see so many more colors in our minds eye if we thought about colors that way.

JulieB.T.
03-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Ohhh, very nice, Daniel!

glittery night owl
03-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Daniel indeed it is, thanks for the info, we all see diferently in

our minds eye,

Trudy