PDA

View Full Version : What to do?????

cobismom
06-07-2012, 08:42 AM
This is rather sad, but I am hoping you can help me find a great way to make it into a good thing, We "lost" our LSS about three years ago.As is the case, it was more of a women's gathering center than store. Well, in visiting with some of the gals that were regulars there, I am finding that more and more are selling their creative things and getting out of paper crafts. I guess I am not understanding why....sure now we have to go on line or make a road trip (that's not so bad) but to give up a creative thing "because the store closed" is beyond my comprehension, I would love to buy it all but can't afford to, so what do I suggest to them,. I've asked if they would donate some of it to the arts program here in town; or to schools; or even to day centers for elders....and the answer is whatever doesn't sell...that's fine. But I still don't get it. Any thoughts?

JulieB.T.
06-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Sounds like they aren't using their stamping supplies/making cards/scrapbooking much and they need the money. Maybe they have lost their jobs. Our LSS closed this past year and the other one a few years ago.Great idea asking them to donate to schools/arts programs.I think most of us could open a store in our homes!! I was just today going through my craft room and rearranging things.No tossing though!

Kathy N.
06-08-2012, 04:37 AM
I think maybe those women got into stamping because they did have a local stamp store and could gather with other stampers and have fun and socialize. Once the store closed and they didn't get together with their buddies anymore they probably lost interest.

I used to go to a woman's house for ceramics. A bunch of us went every week, sat around, drank coffee, cleaned greenware, painted, talked and had a great time. The woman decided she didn't want to have her basement filled with people anymore and stopped the classes. We could still pick out pieces and she would fire them for us, but now we had to take the stuff home to clean and paint. I stopped doing ceramics because I went mainly for the socializing.

JulieB.T.
06-08-2012, 06:55 AM
Great point KathyN!! The socializing part is a BIG part of making cards for me.I find that other things going on in my life seem to take over the cardmaking part.I guess I just need to "make room" in my life for making cards since it is so much fun making/sharing them!

loosluck
06-09-2012, 06:38 PM
If you have a center for the elderly in your town., ask them if you can teach a class in cardmaking. It may be that you will have to donate your time. Our town allows us to ask for a minimal amt for supplies. Its fun., I have been doing it for a few years now. M

JulieB.T.
06-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Great idea Mary!

Kathy N.
06-10-2012, 09:24 AM
I take the card stock, stamps, papers, and trims I'm not using to schoold and use them for recess on bad weather days when we are stuck in the classroom.

loosluck
06-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Good idea Kathy. I don't think of the school kids. My grandchildren are all grown up.