PDA

View Full Version : Chance Taker or Comfy Keeper?

Daniel
07-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Regardless of how long we've been crafting--especially stamping--many of us quickly find ourselves comfortable with layouts, techniques & more. That's part of the stamping 'attraction' (for me).

With that as a premise, many of us begin to gravitate to one of two ways of employing what we learn about stamping et. al. We start getting comfortable with various processes, materials, etc. & create pieces. While the pieces' looks may differ, they remain strictly in our 'comfort zone'.

Others--myself included--enjoy the 'comfortable' for a shorter period. We tend to take big chances with materials & such. We often put our work in jeopardy--risking having a project 'go south' despite lots of effort.

'Course most of us aren't 100% one or the other. But it might be fun for us to share our comments & thots on the topic. Waddaya say?

No surprise. 'Chance-taking' is my strong suit. Like doing 'simple' it's tough for me to be comfortable if there isn't some risk involved in the project I'm creating. Working myself into a (design) corner is actually my 'comfort zone'.

Case in point... Been working on a piece that involves torn paper & stamping. Did a collaged-paper piece (dragon stamp) & fussy cut it. Turned out really great (and I'm a harsh critic of my work). Could have used the piece as is & made a piece, but Noooo! I had to cut it into pieces & try to make it work in a completely different manner. Am I sweating? You bet! And it's a 'creative sweat'. For me it's the best kind of heat!

Looking forward to hearing your 'takes' on the topic.:)

loosluck
07-14-2012, 06:20 PM
I tend to stay in my comfort zone. If I start fooling around with oddball (to me) stuff I create a monster that would scare a dead man.

blossom
07-15-2012, 03:24 AM
I stay in my comfort zone most of the time but there was a time that I tried everything that came down the pike. I was trying to find what I found most comfortable. Great topic Daniel...........the flower child

Kathy N.
07-15-2012, 09:23 AM
It depends on the time factor. If I have a lot of time, I'll expermient and try something new. If I need to make something in a hurry, I'll stick to my comfort zone. I like to try new techniques but don't always have the time to play around.

Mary, I wouldn't worry about creating a monster. I found that no matter how bad something turns out, you can usaully recycle it into something you can use.

Wendy
07-15-2012, 09:31 AM
Hi! I don't like to stick to one style - I get bored easily!!! When I try something different and it looks like it will turn into a monster :eek:- I drop it before my blood boils and go back to it later - could be a lot later!!! By then it may have turned into something else more agreeable! It's fun trying to outwit crafty critters -:D hehehehhe :p

stampwilly
07-15-2012, 01:02 PM
I like to try new things when i have the time to really dabble in it. I am like Kathy, when I need to make something quick it has to be in my comfort zone. Time is the factor!

Stampwilly

yankee
07-15-2012, 03:10 PM
It sounds silly, but I like to try kits. I follow the directions and see if it is something I like. Right now I am doing a flower soft kit, I know it has been around forever, but I never got around to it. I haven't made up my mind yet if I like it.
If I do I will work it into what I make, like the basket of my hot air balloons?

Daniel
07-16-2012, 05:19 AM
Good point on the 'quick', Kathy & Willy. Yes. If I need a fairly fast piece done, I often stick with what I know. That said, I may still take a small 'chance' when constructing it.

LOL on 'monsters'. I've built a few over the years. I let some live & pull the plug on others.

Nothing 'silly' about kits. Some kits are a good way to test the water outside the comfort zone.

So... If you do gamble--or just thinking about it--what would you gamble with... products (stamps, paper, ink, etc.), techniques, style?

Kathy N.
07-16-2012, 09:34 AM
I don't think trying a new technique or style is a gamble because to me there's nothing to lose. If I try a new technique and it doesn't turn out the way I want, it gets thrown in the recycle drawer and turned into something else at a later date. Products are a different story. If I want to try a new product and it costs under $10 and I have the bucks, I'll give it a shot. Anything over $10 has to be thought about before I'll part with my money. If a new toy costs over $50, I want product reviews from people I know and I think long and hard about what I'm going to do with it and whether I'll actually use it. Sometimes that doesn't work and I buy something because I just had to have it and it ends up sitting in my basement for a couple of year. So, where money is involved, I don't really like to gamble. This is why my husband goes to Atlantic City by himself.

Daniel
07-17-2012, 09:59 AM
ITA on the 'what's a gamble', Kathy. Thanks for a thoughtful post.

When it comes to risk, I'm more than ok with ones that are time & effort. As you say, not all that much to lose & lots to learn--regardless of the results.

If the gamble involves a cash outlay? I try to hedge my bets. Do I have to have specific products or can I achieve the look with what I already have?

I like the 'creative' risk, but how much $$$ is certainly part of how I place my bets.

winsrella
07-17-2012, 11:28 AM
i suppose I stick within my comfort zone, altho, I do venture outside with both materials and composition.

glittery night owl
07-31-2012, 07:28 PM
I tend to swing both ways :eek::eek: Not that way, crafting

and getting out of my comfort zone. I do like to experment with

diff thing and when I am staying comfortable i am playing with glitter,

Trudy