PDA

View Full Version : On the Cuff--Stamping related...

Daniel
08-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Couple days ago I was watching Today. They did a segment on shopping Portabello Road (London's flea market).

One thing they shared was cuff style bracelets. The pieces were very cool & my immediate thought was, "I could do them with stamping!".

Interested? If so, do a post & we'll see where this leads us. ;)

kaybee
08-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Paper Wishes has a video of stamping on wooden bracelets. I have been thinking of trying it.

Kathy N.
08-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Judikins also has a video for stamping wooden bracelets. You can see it here:

http://www.judikins.com/projects/techniques_videos/video_tvwpv017.html

I have a bunch of wooden bracelets I bought. I'll have to dig them out. I also have leather bracelets to stamp on.

Daniel
08-05-2012, 07:34 AM
Tanx, pals. Videos & my dial-up don't work well, but glad you shared!

I'm thinking of making my own version of a mailable cuff bracelet by doing it as a flat piece. Figure it will fit in a business envelope.

Some might call this a wristband, but that's as may be. Thing I find true about the 'cuff' style is width. I lean toward a 2' minimum & 3' maximum. Not sure about segmented or solid. I think either works for this.

Also think I want to have some thickness. A friend says she's thinking of using flexible grungeboard. I might explore craftfoam &/or metal.

Lots of possibilities. If we get enough interest we might do a challenge &/or swap. But! Let's not sweat that for now. OK?:)

blossom
08-05-2012, 10:50 AM
You could even use dominoes Daniel if you have a way of drilling the wholes for the bracelet part to adhere the dominoes. I hope you share what you are making maybe you can sell them, I sure would buy one. Have fun Daniel..........the flower child

Kathy N.
08-06-2012, 05:21 AM
How about some 1 1/2 inch satin ribbon with velcro dots.

Daniel
08-06-2012, 08:10 AM
Good ideas, Lois & Kathy.

One thing I'm begining to explore is how long a flat cuff should be (for me). I want the finished cuff to be close to my wrist--not moving like a bangle.

I'm measuring my wrist & adding 1/2" so I have enough overlap to use velcro or other as a closure. Might need to adjust the length so the cuff can move just a bit, tho'. In the trade this is known as 'fashion ease'.:p

Kathy N.
08-06-2012, 09:45 AM
I don't like bracelets banging around on my wrist either so I would have to make mine fitted too.

loosluck
08-06-2012, 06:39 PM
What about those slap bracelets. They come flat so they would be mailable. I Think I saw some in Oriental Trader.

Daniel
08-07-2012, 06:38 AM
What about those slap bracelets. They come flat so they would be mailable. I Think I saw some in Oriental Trader.

I used to have 1 or 2 of those. Long as I could stamp & color them they'd be fun. 'Course I wonder what would happen if they went from flat to round in the mail...:p

loosluck
08-07-2012, 01:39 PM
Would be quite a surprise for the mail person.

Kathy N.
08-08-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm laughing here picturing a rolled up envelope.

Daniel
08-09-2012, 06:26 AM
I'm laughing here picturing a rolled up envelope.

Oh that would be too funny! Hadn't thought of it. I pictured an envelope with a 'bulge' KWIM?:o:D