PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming Jewish High Holy Days: Card-making opportunity

SuperMatt
08-20-2012, 09:40 AM
[This is a repost from the way-back machine where I first started doing this a number of years ago. But since its now in the archives I thought it would be nice to re-post it anew - (Super)Matt]

To all those who are celebrating Rosh Hashanah in a few weeks as I am, I wanted to wish you a Happy & Healthy Jewish New Year from myself and everyone at Club Posh.

If you are not celebrating, but would like to send a card to someone who is, here's some tips:

1)The holiday is actually the first of the two High Holy Days, Rosh Hashanah & Yom Kippur, which last for 10 days between them. So if your card doesn't get to your recipient right on the beginning of the first date, you're still ok.

The Jewish Calendar is a lunar calendar, which means the Holy Days 'shift' against the Gregorian calendar. This year, Rosh Hashanah starts on September 16th, and then Yom Kippur is one day starting the night before, from Sept. 25th-26th.

2)Rosh Hashanah is the Jewish New Year, and is celebrated with, among other things, the eating of apples & honey to symbolize a "Sweet New Year". Therefore, apples & honeypots or other related images would be good stamps to use, unless you can find a Shofar (Ram's horn) stamp ) :)

3)The customary well-wishes for someone celebrating Rosh Hashanah are "Happy New Year" or "Shana Tovah" (Happy New Year in Hebrew)

If you have Jewish friends that you want to make other cards for, here is a handy calendar with dates for this and future years for their celebrations, as well as a little bit of information about them to inspire you.

Shana Tovah and a Yom Tov (good day) to those observing Rosh Hashanah,
(Super)Matt

blossom
08-20-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks for sharing this information Matt, it certainly is quite helpful to those of us to be able to say and send the proper greeting with out being afraid of saying something wrong. I learned a lot it is very informative..........the flower child

Kathy N.
08-21-2012, 05:52 AM
Thanks for bringing this back Matt. I'm sure lots of us would like to send cards to Jewish friends but are not sure of what is appropriate and what is not for each holiday.

Daniel
08-21-2012, 10:23 AM
TFS, Matt! Apples & honey, huh? Sparkling cider & honeybuns anyone?:D

Have a wonderful holiday!

And--as I recall--Yom Kippur is a very solemn/sacred day/time in Judiaism--the time when believers 'get right' with their GOD. Not a bad way to start out a year (or each day thereof).

Best wishes to you & yours, Matt.:)

redned
08-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Matt, so glad you brought this back. :)

To add to Daniel's comments - Yom Kippur is the Day of Atonement. We ask for forgiveness for the wrongs we've done during the year. It's also a fast day - no food or drink from sundown to sundown. :(

L'Shana Tova to all.

Nedra

loosluck
08-22-2012, 03:50 PM
Happy holiday Matt and thank you for enlightening us.