PDA

View Full Version : Has the Internet changed your stamping?

Daniel
11-23-2012, 11:10 AM
I'd have to say a big "Yes"!

Back when I first got into stamping on anything like a regular basis (circa 1980), using stamps was all about general crafting for me. Cardmaking & papercrafts--including scrapbooking--were not on my crafting radar.

I spent my time learning to stamp on fabric, metal, ceramic, glass, etc. when specialty inks were non-existant & craft paints ruled.

By the time the interenet & communities like CP came into being I did find myself drawn to the graphic & paper aspect of stamping. I discovered that doing stamping on 'cards' was the easiest way to share what I knew how to do. And I continue to find that true.

How about 'you'? If you started stamping 'BTI' (before the internet), I'm betting you have stories to share.

And for those stampers who grew up with the interenet as a 'given'? Bet you have stories, too!

Let's chat!

loosluck
11-23-2012, 04:20 PM
I have to say yes. I started in the late 70's., I had a ceramics shop then and I used the potato stamps on my bisque. Today you can get on utube and learn any technique you want too.

Kathy N.
11-24-2012, 05:25 AM
Yes the internet has changed my stamping. My stamping has decreased due to the fact that I'm always on the d*** computer. That's probably why my Christmas cards didn't get made. I was on the computer all summer.

Wendy
11-24-2012, 05:50 AM
:o I agree with you Kathy. I can't count the hours I've been attached to my computer since I hooked up at home!!!!! I do find a lot of great projects and I also like using free digis for some of my creations, altho' they end up landing on top of my already growing pile of "things to try" --- Acck!!! :eek: But I am havin' FUN! ~ Wendy :D

Daniel
11-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Yes the internet has changed my stamping. My stamping has decreased due to the fact that I'm always on the d*** computer. That's probably why my Christmas cards didn't get made. I was on the computer all summer.

LOL! The 'net' giveth & taketh. Blessed be the 'net'...:rolleyes:

Actually I can't really chalk up more 'online' time as being the major cause for diminished craft output on my part. Unless I was working on stuff for a reason--publication, demonstrations, classes, etc.--I often crafted in spurts. And I still do.

As Loosy says, the 'net' does allow me access to techniques & projects I might not otherwise see--especially since I was (& am) not a big periodical reader anymore.

judikins
11-25-2012, 10:50 AM
Ahhhh, just what Rob fears... stampers are not stamping anymore because they spend a lot of time online. But I think that we will all start stamping more as time goes on. Mostly because it's been a real learning curve just how to use the dumb computer or phone or tablet. Then you have to learn how to navigate online or how to deal with spam, junk, computer crashes. And now that we've all suffered these headaches, at least for me it's getting better.

I think people see things online that they want to make and they will eventually pull out their stamps. I found that my stamping time is more intense and quite productive because I have a better idea of where to get started because I was inspired by something I saw online. So much of my time stamping or crafting is spent trying to figure out what I want to do! The funny thing is that my inspiration comes from totally unrelated stuff. Like a funny picture or one of those awful popup advertisements that make browsing miserable. So it sounds like we're all doing the same thing. Getting inspired online and then making stuff!

Daniel
11-25-2012, 12:04 PM
Ahhhh, just what Rob fears... stampers are not stamping anymore because they spend a lot of time online...

LOL, Judi! Tell Rob to allay his fears! :p :D

If stamps were a craft category (like scrapping or sewing), he might have some cause for concern--especially from a business perspective. And let's be honest. Judikins (the company) wants to see stampers stamping, but also buying new ones. It's part of how 'Crafts' work & have done so since about the 60s when crafters could read craft mags & find craft supplies on anything like a regular basis.

Fads in crafting continue to come & go, but some craft supplies (like stamps) survive because they are 'tools'.

Like stencils, stamps are not tied to a category or craft material. If the only way I could use my stamps were to make cards or use them on paper, I'd have ditched them long ago. But I continue to use & purchase rubberstamps 'cause I continue to be a crafter who likes tools.

The 'net' has made it easier to find not only those tools, but also allows me to see new (to me) ways to employ them.

I even consider making purchases from quality rubber mfrs like Judikins who sell only mounted stamps, but continue to hope that ROB will find an UMS formula that works for him. Why? Because plain rubber dies feed those of us who love working with any tool in unexpected ways. ;)

The Shermanator
11-26-2012, 12:18 PM
I agree that the computer has changed my life in ways I wouldn't have imagined 10 years ago. I'm not a gamer or addicted to Facebook, but as I live overseas, the most efficient way to deal with 9 hours of time zones and international phone bills is email. Also, I am a Pinterest fiend if I let myself get sucked into it. It's a great place to save interesting ideas for cardmaking, gardening, entertaining, and loads of other things.

At work, I use my computer for nearly every lesson I teach. Students expect teachers to be somewhat tech savvy -- it shows up on your evaluations!

Actually, I buy way more stamps now than I did ten years ago, and I do that thanks to companies selling online! If I'm at the computer, chances are that at least 5 to 10% of my time is looking at stamp company newsletters and browsing their websites. Last week I downloaded catalogs from Judikins, Stampin' Up, and River City Rubber and spent hours perusing them. (No wonder I got behind in correcting papers!)

However, I end up being more sedentary than I was before computers became really useful. It's a double-edged sword. Still, at least I'm not just playing solitaire anymore!