PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Luck (food)

Daniel
12-28-2012, 08:16 AM
Do you have any food that are 'must eats' on New Year's Day to ensure good luck?

Ours is saurkraut & pork. (lots of German influence in our area) The cabbage represents money & the pork ensures we'll eat 'high on the hog' during the new year.:D

JulieB.T.
12-28-2012, 10:50 AM
Nope, never heard of that custom, but I do make a yummy clam dip. One or two cans(depending on how much you like clams) of chopped clams and juice (strained in cheese cloth for sand), 8 oz. softened cream cheese, a few drops of Worcestershire sauce and 1-2 cloves of garlic depending on size-crushed and finely chopped. It was a favorite of my sisters and mine when we were younger. Still is for me:) I like your custom Daniel. Maybe that's what we will have!

Daniel
12-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Tanx, Julie.

On another site,I got a post from a 'Southern' gal. She's gotta have black-eyed peas on NYD. She admits that she's not making 'Hoppin' John' per se.

Another person posted that they have to have some food that is 'round'. Doesn't share why.

Dekamay
12-28-2012, 03:36 PM
We always have saurkraut & pork too.

Wendy
12-29-2012, 05:48 AM
When I was young, my folks would wake us about 15 min to midnight. We would use noise makers and eat pop and chips and our favorite - BUT ONLY ON NEW YEAR'S EVE!!!! - sardines on soda crackers topped off with ketchup. And in about half an hour we (little ones) were back in bed - Now that was celebrating!!!!!!

Daniel
12-29-2012, 06:24 AM
When I was young, my folks would wake us about 15 min to midnight. We would use noise makers and eat pop and chips and our favorite - BUT ONLY ON NEW YEAR'S EVE!!!! - sardines on soda crackers topped off with ketchup. And in about half an hour we (little ones) were back in bed - Now that was celebrating!!!!!!

LOL! After consuming sardines et.al., I'd be awake the rest of the night!:D

JulieB.T.
12-29-2012, 10:20 AM
That's too funny Wendy :) I love sardines and I also eat them with saltines but haven't tried the ketchup. I will try that combo! Sounds like you had some fun parents!

Wendy
12-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Remember it is only a New Year's treat! ... and Daniel - we were kids back then I don't know how the adults faired - I wonder .... now I get together with my youngest son and wife and watch 2 Disney-type videos (the ones which you would go to movie theater only if you had young'uns in tow. We have a shrimp ring and sushi before dvd starts. They've yet to stay up for 2nd showing and greet the New Year! Julie let me know what you think of our treat. I think this began as an English tradition (or some sort of rendition).

winsrella
12-30-2012, 08:25 AM
My Dad loved sardines. He'd eat them most Sunday nights for supper. None of the rest of the family joined him. We usually had crackers and milk. Our big meal of the day was after church. I still eat crackers and milk occasionally, but it doesn't have the same pull as it did when I was a kid.

JulieB.T.
12-30-2012, 10:16 AM
You mean saltine crackers and milk Ann? I didn't do that but we did eat saltines and butter and I still do but very seldom.

Daniel
12-30-2012, 10:50 AM
I have some friends who are Scots' heritage. They'll be having haggis for Hogmannay. Never had it. Closest we've come is 'hog punch', but it's not a NY 'luck' dish.

JulieB.T.
12-30-2012, 12:24 PM
I've read about Haggis and have seen a recipe, but I do think you need to be Scottish or VERY adventuresome to eat it! I'm sure it tastes better than it looks.

yankee
12-30-2012, 12:48 PM
My husband and myself didn't have a New Years food that we did. His best friends family did. It was a fish pickled in a white sauce, but I didn't taste it, when we had New Years with them.

Dekamay
12-30-2012, 12:52 PM
I like butter and saltines.

JulieB.T.
12-30-2012, 05:06 PM
Was that pickled herring or herring in cream sauce yankee? If so, I had the cream sauce one once, just to taste it. The people serving it were Swedish I think. It was ok, but not good enough for me to taste it again;)