PDA

View Full Version : Stamping into 2013

Daniel
12-29-2012, 06:52 AM
When it comes to New Year's resolutions, the only hard & fast one I have is not to make any... But I do (sometimes) think about stuff I might want to do with a brand new blank year.

With so many non-used stamps in my stash, I'm thinking I want to make some effort to employ more of them in projects. Also thinking about choosing something like ATCs or Twinches & exploring their possibilities for a period of time. Apart from the actual stamps, I'm thinking that materials & techniques would be a strong part of the exploration--especially materials such as melt adhesive, tape & my (beloved) craftfoam & metal.

Any thots about what you might do with your stamping as 2013 draws nigh?

JulieB.T.
12-29-2012, 11:14 AM
Just that I need to clean out the craft room so that I CAN stamp!!! I didn't realize how many empty containers I had collected. I will try out all of the stamping accessories that I have and that I have never used!

winsrella
12-30-2012, 08:33 AM
I agree with JulieB.T. Last night I was cleaning off my table in the stamp/computer room. I think I'm ready to start stamping again. Yea! My immediate plan is to again build up my stash of cards to send out this year. Another plan is to make two cards each with several stamps that have been in my collection forever, but never used. A grim thought, but I need to make a number of sympathy cards to have on hand. However, "thinking of you" cards work well too. Another goal this year is to get a printer/scanner and learn how to use it. The printer should be no problem, but I'm not so sure about the scanner. At least I have a brother and a couple friends on call.

JulieB.T.
12-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Ok, I have to admit that I used to be a preschool teacher so I think that is why I collect so many things in my house and most for the craft room, "just in case I need them later", like plastic containers that I get from my favorite deli for my marinated mushrooms and such. Another goal for 2013 is to cut wayyyyyy back on bringing home take-out food. Not good for me or my hubby. Too much salt, fat and calories plus the cost. So, if I spend less time picking up take-out food, re-heating it and not taking in as many calories, I will have more time to make cards and I will feel better!! I think I need a little will power along the way:)

Daniel
12-30-2012, 10:36 AM
LOL! I figure I can spend tons of time organizing & cleaning or I can make stuff. I'm choosing 'making'.

'Course I'll haveto be careful not to trip over all the 'stuff' in my craftroom & impale myself, but my 'exectutor' can deal with the stuff.:p

JulieB.T.
12-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Having a lunch break right now Daniel, but I am making headway in the craftroom. Yep, it was getting too dangerous for me to move around in the room so I decided I had better re-arrange and toss out things.It feels great!

yankee
12-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Julie, pick a number, say 3 or 5 and that is all you keep of each kind of container. That is the rule I use when I go through my stuff. Just whatever number you pick, stick with it.

yankee
12-30-2012, 12:42 PM
As for stamping I want to remake my book of stamped images. I made one two or three years ago, to take with me to stamp shows. ( Cause you cannt return stuff if you already have that stamp.
Anyway the book got full and is a jumble now, started out with different places for different subjects. Now I want to redo it. And that will be some doing.
The fun part is by stamping each on in the book, I have NO stamps that have never seen ink!

stampwilly
12-30-2012, 01:38 PM
I have been working on techniques for next year already! I do a technique Tuesday on my design team, so I have been pinning ideas and have some loaded up and ready! I like too have a few weeks worth done so that I don't get in a crunch. I need to reorganize my dies and find a container with a handle for my Spetrum markers. I haven't found one I like yet. This coming year I hope to go craft outside my box more and try unusual things. We'll see what happens! I hope everyone has a Happy New Year!

Stampwilly

Daniel
12-31-2012, 07:06 AM
Sounds like several of us have ideas for stamping in 2013.

One thing I'm definitely thinking about is getting back to 'masking'. For many of us it was the first technique we added when we began to stamp. I still remember how magical it was to be able to put an image 'behind' another image or to put an image 'in' an image.

When I got heavily into piecing, I did far less masking. Really want to explore it again & see if I come up with new ways to employ the technique.

Wendy
01-14-2013, 05:52 AM
Hi everyone! I want to start using all the stuff I've put in "nice little boxes". The problem is they are "out of sight-out of mind" I never see them to use!!!!:eek: Got any suggestions to organize them in sight but away from grandkids' hands? Most items are the tiny bottles of Mica Gloss, re-inkers, glitter and Flower soft.... What do you all do with your tiny stuff? Help!
~ Wendy

loosluck
01-14-2013, 09:16 AM
I use those flat plastic paper boxes from Michaels. They usually cost about $4.00 on sale and I can fit all the paper pieces, embellishments, inks for the project keeping everything away from prying paws and snoots until I can finish the project.

winsrella
01-14-2013, 05:43 PM
What about using clear plastic boxes that you can see through? They come in all sizes and shapes.

JulieB.T.
01-14-2013, 07:06 PM
For the little embellishments, I use the grey metal tool "dressers" that have 2 rows of 16 plastic drawers. I got them at a yard sale but them have them in any Home Depot kind of store. For things that don't fit into those drawers, I have them in plastic cabinets with drawers that are clear in the front. I also use labels when I have solid containers. I use lots of zip-lock baggies too. Thanks for the suggestion Yankee for the containers.

Wendy
01-15-2013, 08:56 AM
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I'd forgotten about some of them. It has been fun (well... sort of) clearing and cleaning my craft area. ~ Wendy

JulieB.T.
01-15-2013, 05:43 PM
Hang in there Wendy! I'm still working on mine. I tell myself it didn't get that way in a day so I have more than a day to clean it out!

TerriO
01-16-2013, 07:37 AM
All of these comments just make me know even more that I need to get organized! Right now though I think I am going with Daniels idea of making instead of cleaning. LOL I really do need to make a stamp image book. Why is it so hard to want to sit down and actually do that though? I always think about what I could be stamping but then again I do not know what I could actuallly come up with if I knew exactly what I had. A vicious circle.

TerriO
01-16-2013, 07:39 AM
Oh and Julie you are so right it did not get that way in a day. So I am going to go with your idea of having more than a day to correct it.

Daniel
01-16-2013, 08:17 AM
I kid about 'organizing', but I do agree that I need to do some. That said, I know I won't do any if I see it as a whole task--like doing an image book.

If, however, I moderate my own requirements & break down the job into do-able parts & periods of time I'm willing (not 'able) to do, I believe I have a much better chance @ getting even some stuff done.

Step #1? Turn off the computer!:rolleyes::D

TerriO
01-16-2013, 11:02 AM
I know ......how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
Okay with that said, I will take one box and/or drawer a day until I get an image book. I can always cut apart the images and re-organize after I see just what I have. Cut off the computer :eek:

blossom
01-16-2013, 03:48 PM
I agree turning off the computer and TV for me I'll admit I'm a couch potato. Since my son died I have let a lot of things slide but it's time now to get my act together and clean and organize and to even get rid of some things. I'm sure there are a ton of things that I will never use. The hardest part for me is where to start..........the flower child