PDA

View Full Version : What's on your desk

blossom
04-29-2013, 01:56 AM
As some of you might know, I have been trying to organize my crafting space for sometime now. I have been purging and trying to figure out what should be on my working table. It has been a trial because of some of the aches and pains that I deal with on a daily basis, but that is another story.

So what I thought might be fun to talk about in this thread is, WHAT'S On your DESK? Also to add more fun do you craft sitting or standing. I craft both ways. I was wondering if you are like me or you sit all the time or just the opposite.

So what should I keep on my table, things I need all the time or whatever and the whatever hasn't worked for me you would think that I would have learned by now. LOL!!!

Let's talk it should be fun........the flower child

Kathy N.
04-29-2013, 05:28 AM
I don't have a desk and use my kitchen table so I pretty much clear everything off when I'm done with a project. What I do like to keep handy is my double stick tape since I use that for almost every project. Scissors too. They stay in a pencil cup on the table all the time. A black stamp pad is probably a good thing to keep on your desk.

This is a good subject to talk about Lois. Thanks for thinking of it.

Daniel
04-29-2013, 07:59 AM
LOL, Lois. I actually have a work space in my bedroom. The desktop is approx 30"x54" with another 18"x30" desk off to one side.

Useable work space? 18" square. :eek:

What's on my desk? Piles & piles of WIP & materials--paper, stamps, inks, etc.

Standing or sitting to craft? Mostly sitting unless a technique requires standing.

stampwilly
04-29-2013, 11:08 AM
They say a picture says a thousand words so I took a picture of my desk and the shelves on either side. When we built this house I was fortunate enough to have shelves and drawers built in on one side of the room. Here are the pictures.

Daniel
04-29-2013, 12:32 PM
LOL, Willy! I like you lots, but... Watch it with the photos of your 'desk'! I may have to send you crates full of stuff to make your organized, clean desk gain piles!

blossom
04-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Thanks Kathy, I have been crafting in my living room and my dining room and in my kitchen. Deciding what to keep and what has to go is very difficult.....the flower child

Daniel, my son bought be a table it's one of those drafting tables that you can slant forward so I don't have a desk either,LOL!!! Your space sounds like my house at the moment. I stand too if the technique requires it. Thanks for your input......the flower child

April, your space is so beautiful and so organized no wonder I spend so much time looking for what I need but no more. Thanks for posting your pictures I certainly see a few ideas.....the flower child

loosluck
04-29-2013, 05:19 PM
My bedroom is my main workspace. I have one desk which is small but completely filled with stuff
Except for about 18" that I work at.I always keep my black inkpad markerrs and glue gun and foam tape on my desk. My closet is filled with stamps paper and extra stuff.

blossom
04-30-2013, 01:56 AM
Thanks Mary. It sounds wonderful. I'm learning a few things here of what I should be keeping on my desk.........the flower child

stampwilly
04-30-2013, 06:18 AM
LOL Daniel! Right after taking this picture I worked on a technique so the desk is full of stuff again. It doesn't stay clean for long!

Stampwilly

Kathy N.
04-30-2013, 02:22 PM
April how can you work in all that neatness? :) I need chaos to create. Well, actually that's my excuse for a messy workspace.

blossom
05-01-2013, 01:01 AM
Your funny Kathy. I know April's organizational skills are to be admired. My problem is I would forget where everything was. I also got into the habit of getting excited that my project was done that I don't put things away, but I'm getting better at doing that.....the flower child

winsrella
05-01-2013, 05:13 AM
Wish my work space looked like April's. I clean off my table often, but it is amazing how much you can accomplish in a 9x12 inch space. Ha!

blossom
05-02-2013, 01:00 AM
Yes Ann her space is amazing isn't? ..........the flower child

Wendy
05-02-2013, 05:55 AM
What can I say???

Daniel
05-02-2013, 06:22 AM
LOL, Wendy! Love your creative spaces! TFS!

stampwilly
05-02-2013, 06:28 AM
Thanks for sharing your spaces, Wendy! I love your sweet kitties! My space does not always look as neat as my picture. I had just cleaned it up. Later in the day I was working on a technique and it was messy again! I have to clean up once in awhile because I can't find anything and then I get very frustrated.

Stampwilly

Diana Jones
05-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Lois, you've asked the million dollar question. If I knew the answer I wouldn't have so much stuff crowding my work area. I have all my inkpads currently on my desk but have wondered if that was the best option. I have several of those wooden cassette tape holders lining the front and one side of the desk and then I have holders for my many scissors, my tapes, some glue, a heat gun, stamp cleaner, a set of anywhere small hole punches, an eyelet setter

JulieB.T.
05-02-2013, 07:02 PM
I have a desk? Oh, that's right, I do!! Hmmm, stacks of EVERYTHING,containers of glitter, embossing powders, asst. of mini punches, a round with different fine markers and sissors in it, stacks of b. ground papers, a plastic box of 1" colored squares, boxes of buttons, Copic Markers, the metal container of eyelet stuff ....my desk is never ending with stamping supplies, none that I use. I just need to get in control of my craft room. Maybe if I took a picture to show you it would shame me into getting it in order! Oh, yes, and a box of Marvy ink pads!

blossom
05-03-2013, 05:21 AM
Wendy, I love your company when you craft. Your space looks a lot like mine all of the house in different places. How charming to have the cats keeping you company. Thank you Wendy..........the flower child

blossom
05-03-2013, 05:27 AM
Diana, first let me say Happy Birthday I hope your day was full of blessings. I've been curious for years how others keep their desks and spaces. I feel that we are all in the same boat. I think our minds are so much on the creative process [at least in my opinion] that no one told me to clean up afterwards. Of course we must clean our spaces but I find myself not keeping up with the task at hand. Often I find myself so excited to have finished the project that I tell myself I will straighten up later and then life happens. Thanks for your input............the flower child

blossom
05-03-2013, 05:30 AM
Julie, your desk sounds like mine. No wonder I can't figure out where things are. I will get it all figured out and be more organized and to PUT THINGS AWAY [note to self]. Thanks for your input on this thread........the flower child

redned
05-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Julie, You show me yours & I'll show you mine. [Craft desk that is.] I'm sure if you saw my space, you wouldn't be too upset with your own.

Just ask Kathy N.:o She's seen my space.

Nedra

Kathy N.
05-03-2013, 10:05 AM
What space? There is no space in your apartment Nedra that isn't taken up with craft supplies. You need a house with a big room in the basement like me. :)

Daniel
05-03-2013, 10:57 AM
...Of course we must clean our spaces...

LOL, Lois! My mom keeps telling me that. I tell her the 18" square is clean.:D

LOL, Nedra! Has Kathy got your number on desk space? :p

Enjoying all the posts & pix. Wouldn't share pix even if I could.:eek: I'd have the 'clean-up' police on my back....:D

JulieB.T.
05-03-2013, 06:47 PM
HAH!!! That will never happen! First of all, I don't know how to take a picture and put it on this site. Even if I did , I would be do dang embarrassed about the mess! I'll keep working on it though! :)

Diana Jones
05-05-2013, 01:26 PM
stampwilly, what do you use inside that plastic container to divide it into sections for your spectrum dior markers?

Diana Jones
05-05-2013, 01:55 PM
Thanks Blossom for the Birthday wishes. I had a nice day. David (DH) took me over to Best Buy and bought me an HP Lazer black & white printer and another router because mine had died and I couldn't use my laptop wireless in my bedroom.

I remembered that on my desk I also want my MS scoreboard. If nothing else it would serve as my work space. Sometimes my desk is that messy. :( I have a cutting matt that size too so I could protect it's surface. I stamp on one side and cut on the other. I also want my Crafter's Companion scoreboard and enveloper on the desk or very near by but I can't find them since my move 6 months ago. I don't know if it is in a box in the garage or in our storage unit a few miles away. As soon as I'm off my cane I will be able to maybe get something done around here but until them it is sheer frustration because I can't use a cane and carry anything heavy. I blew the hip socket during the packing phase of our move and it was miserable. We are here but not settled in as we'd like.

By the way if anyone else would like to be bitten by the same organizing bug that has improved my life, give me a PM and I'll give you the two sites that have helped make a nice difference in my life, even though I can't carry out all I've learned yet. :)

stampwilly
05-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Diana, The plastic things holding my markers are 2 trays made just for the Spectrum markers. They are made by Art Binz. They slide into the container that you see there. The markers have to be stored on their sides so I have the container up like that. It also helps with viewing them better. Then when I go places with them, the lid has a handle to carry the container.

Stampwilly

JulieB.T.
05-06-2013, 09:11 AM
April, I have never seen the plastic box holders that you say were made for S.Noirs.I can't find them on their site.I will look at Art Binz site.

stampwilly
05-06-2013, 10:37 AM
Julie, the company is actually ARTBIN -- I told you wrong. Here is the link to the tote and tray. Two marker trays fit into the satchel that you see in the middle. The satchel comes with one tray I believe.

http://www.artbin.com/en/crafts/search

Stampwilly

JulieB.T.
05-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks so much! Do you remember the name of the container that you purchased? I will see if I can figure it out.

JulieB.T.
05-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Went to the site and found them! Now, I just need to decide how many trays to get.

stampwilly
05-06-2013, 11:53 AM
The container I purchased is the ARTBIN satchel shown in the middle. It comes with one tray and you will need to purchase another tray. They do have a 12 x 12 satchel also that holds 4 trays. You might have to look over the site to find that one.

Stampwilly

loosluck
05-06-2013, 05:03 PM
What can I say???

Know just what you mean, Been there, done that.

judikins
05-06-2013, 05:52 PM
Not sure if any of you get Scrap and Stamp magazine? A while ago Warren asked if I wanted my studio featured. At first I said "OF COURSE!" and figured I would have enough time to organize and "clean up". Well, a few days later he called back and said the editor needed a favor and wanted something "now". At first I turned him down, but then decided maybe someone out there would empathize with my insanely disorganized desk so I obliged. I thought I should probably let people know that I'm not a total disaster since Rob keeps a neat workspace. I figured an example of our "Yin and Yang" might be a nice touch. He has a lot of stuff, but he knows exactly where it is.

I strive to have a neat desk and studio—someday. *Sigh* I can't seem to get to it!! But I LOVE LOVE LOVE going to someone else's studio where it's incredibly neat!! One day, mine will be the same...

Alrighty, here are the pics…it was a while ago. Funny, because it still looks the same…just different colors splattered on my desk now.

JulieB.T.
05-06-2013, 10:09 PM
I like!!! Creative persons have creative desks! Except for Dee:) She has a purty one!

JulieB.T.
05-06-2013, 10:10 PM
I found the company and the trays and container for the Copics. Thanks April!

stampwilly
05-07-2013, 05:49 AM
Love the pictures, Judi! Looks like you are always having creative fun!

Hugs, Stampwilly

Diana Jones
05-07-2013, 08:24 AM
I looked on artbin and somehow ended up on dickblick! I quess they sell them too. I still think my favorite ones are the acrylic ones that can stack directly on top of each other or a little diagonal. I only have the reds set of the Spectrum Noir pens and lots of other sets of pens. Don't know how many I would need if I bought them. So far expense is the huge factor. I have tended to keep my sets in the containers they came in for mobility and because the sets are in color families, like bolds, pastels, warms, vintage, etc. Was afraid if I split them up I'd be trying to put wrong colors together. I now realize that the color shading I should learn to do would use more colors and I should probably split them up to foster more creativity. What do you think. I have some circular Chrystal Light containers that I have been storing forever without a clue what to use them for. I thought maybe I should put like colors in each one and make a honeycomb type tower out of them. Sound like a plan? Now to find them and see what I think of it on my desk.

loosluck
05-07-2013, 01:31 PM
I love your area. I just told my daughter if Judi can find anything on her desk, so can I. Unfortunately she said the Judi doesn't lose her stuff within minutes of putting it down. Caught again.

blossom
05-08-2013, 02:37 AM
Judi, your space looks just like mine. Thanks for sharing your photos with us. I am so happy that I started this thread, I'm loving all of the interaction. Believe it or not I'm still not done with my space but it will be done soon. Who is next......the flower child

Kathy N.
05-08-2013, 05:57 AM
Judi, nice to see your desk looks like my work space. Since my workspace is my kitchen table, I do have to clean it off when I finish something.

yankee
05-08-2013, 05:48 PM
My work space it the dinning room table. I don't have to clean it off except when the kids are here to eat ( birthdays and holidays). And it always causes me to misplace something when I put everything away.

Diana Jones
05-09-2013, 10:35 AM
I keep remembering things that I want right at my fingertips while sitting at my desk. If it isn't going to be on the desk surface it will be in the drawers under the desk or right behind my chair on the 48 cube wall I've built in the middle of the room. I don't want to have to get up or go far for what I need so then I can put it back when I'm done too. I actually have 24 facing my desk and 24 on the back of them with things not needed so readily. I still need to organize things in the cubes because I just stuffed them because of my blown hip.

To add to my list, coloring mediums like markers, colored pencils, paints, & chalks.

I also remembered that I need my acrylic blocks and my reversing stamps. I have my collection of ribbon on top of the cube wall too.

You know it is impossible to have EVERYTHING at your fingertips while you sit at your desk and it is harder than one would expect to figure out what is actually a necessity on the desk. I think I need to revamp the whole desk to actually keep things under control and not too cluttered. It's a never ending fight, (can I get a witness)?!

I am going to keep watching this thread to see what the rest of you keep close on the desk in case I need to consider your choices in my desk makeover.

blossom
05-09-2013, 11:16 AM
I'm really happy at everyone's responses to this thread. Thanks for your input Sheila and Diana. I too think it is impossible to have everything on your desk at once. I have several interest in the crafting world. Aside from stamping, card making, scrap booking and dabbing into polymer clay and once in awhile jewelry making, my plate is always full.

I think my biggest problem has always been not having the correct storage for my crafting items. I try and keep the same items together, and that seems to help. They also say that a behavior can be changed in 2 weeks time, so as of late I have been putting my things away after my job is done. I'm so proud of myself.......the flower child

stampwilly
05-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Diana, the honeycomb type containers sound good. I didn't want to split up my markers either, but I did and put all the reds together- pinks etc. even if they were lights, darks, etc. I find that I like it. I keep my ink pads, adhesives, stains, etc. in drawers near where I am sitting. The things I use most are right near where I can reach them. This helps a lot.

Stampwilly

Diana Jones
05-09-2013, 04:44 PM
Blossom, so happy for your striving to put things away. I find it a struggle and know that I am happiest when I am clean and organized and de-cluttered.

I have heard that you should keep like things together but I have multiples so I sometimes split them up so I can at least find one of them. I have lots of things together right now that I don't know where they are, in a box in the garage or in our storage unit because of our move and my disability. When I can pickup boxes I will go thru the unopened boxes and find my stashes of craft items.

glittery night owl
05-09-2013, 06:25 PM
Howdy Lois,

Try putting everything on your walls like I do:eek::) Once again
I am in the mist of reorganizing my things

Harold put my computer in my craftroom, sighhhh and my craft table right next to it Right now my table has everything you can think of on my table.

Otherwise everything is getting label in pretty AG boxes with large print on masking tape so I can see where everything

I work mostly on the dinning room table and do not want anything on my craft table in here because if I put certain ink pads I will be sure that a different kind will be needed.

Judy love your room looks like mine

Trudy glittery night owl

blossom
05-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Well if it isn't my dear friend Trudy. How the heck are you Trudy. Hope life has been good to you and that you are feeling a lot better. Thanks for your wonderful feedback on your craft space. I like having my computer near my work space so I can reference a technique which might have slipped my mind.............the flower child

kaybee
05-11-2013, 09:31 AM
On my desk is my Pazzles, Cuttlebug and plates, MS scoreboard, cups with marking pens, paint brushes, bone folder, two boxes of embossing folders,ott lite, heat tool, pick tool, cardstock,fiskars stamping tool. paper towels, scrub thing to clean stamps, cutting mat, mouse pad to stamp on, scoretape, glue guider, and stuff that needs put away, like stamps and dies.

blossom
05-12-2013, 04:03 AM
Sounds like you have all the essentials close at hand Kay. I strive to be like that, you sound very organized. Thanks for your input.......the flower child

Diana Jones
05-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Trudy, it is good to see you back!!! I haven't seen you in a while and I was pretty sure you also had a surgery so I've said a few prayers along the way.