PDA

View Full Version : Remember 'Scraplings'?

Daniel
09-04-2013, 11:56 AM
As I was doing a bit of housekeeping on my attachments, I ran across a few from '09 that I didn't recall.

Turns out they were for a challenge--Scraplings. And Blossom is the one who first shared what a scrapling was/could be.

Anyhoo... I wanted to bring the challenge thread back out of our archive, but it's locked. :p

Looks like it made a good challenge back then. Might make an interesting swap now.

Alas. I cleaned out my 'dragon' scrapling, but saved the others.

Swap-wise, I'd prefer sending a swap mate 3-6 different scraplings & not making multiple pieces to send to several swappers.

Here's 2 of my old scraplings.

loosluck
09-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Daniel is that fabric you used with your "scraplings"?

blossom
09-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Wow, a blast from the past nicely done Daniel. I do remember these too. I thought they were the cutest things. My sample was orange with different colored leaves on them. This is a great idea for an up coming swap. They can be put on a card also used for a gift tag and they look so cute just somewhere on a bulletin board.......the flower child

judikins
09-04-2013, 08:30 PM
Daniel great examples. But I need an 'splanation of what a "scrapling" is? Blossom, do-tell what you posted originally. Is a scrapling a piece or scrap of something that can be made into the focus of a card or layout? Is it a leftover piece from a card that was otherwise cropped? Looks like Daniel's are all the same size. Is this like an ATC that should fit a particular measurement?? K. Thanks in advance for answering!!

Judi

winsrella
09-04-2013, 08:40 PM
I need to know what a scrapling is too. It must be scraps of something.

Daniel
09-05-2013, 07:30 AM
LOL. Turns out I did have a pic of the deagon scrapling.:)

Gonna try to link to the (archived) challenge thread. It has lots of info & pix.

http://clubposh.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5568

Good! The link works!

blossom
09-05-2013, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the link Daniel. This would make a great swap or a challenge.....the flower child

Daniel
09-16-2013, 08:50 AM
I made some more scraplings & was so pleased that I had 2 Judikins products to use on one of them.

The BG on the bear one is the 'Funky Xmas Pattern' stamp & the Chevron stencil. Want to use both of these for other projects.

And for good measure? I recyled unused Christmas cards (commercialy printed) for the cardstock.

I still have some Judikins images that Kathy N. sent me. Think I'll see what I can do with them along these lines.

loosluck
09-17-2013, 05:43 AM
Nice Daniel

JulieB.T.
09-17-2013, 02:12 PM
Muy bueno Daniel!

TerriO
09-18-2013, 01:42 PM
Daniel I especially like the coloring on the haunted house. Well done. I have the tendency to think I need to color the whole image. I like the white areas you left, it added that layer that makes it so interesting. It is lit up by the moonlight but yet with the tints of color it still has that mystery a haunted house needs.

winsrella
09-18-2013, 06:02 PM
My favorite is the haunted house too. I agree with what Teri said. Great work. Also like how you incorporated the tree stamp that Judi sent us. Looks great as a background to the dancing gingerbread boys and also the bear chef with kid.

winsrella
09-18-2013, 06:07 PM
So, is a scrapling a scrap of material for the background? Or is it a scrap of anything?

Wendy
09-19-2013, 06:19 AM
Well, I was curious so I googled "scraplings" and from what I gather scraplings are what's left over after we finish a project - I still have lots, even after tossing out bags to goodwill - if I had only known!!! I didn't realize they had a name - I just called them spares or tiny bits I might use if I ever wanted to make a duplicate - we learn something every day - Hmmm... it might be fun to have a swap with scraplings - I'm game if anyone else is!
~ Wendy :D

Daniel
09-19-2013, 07:12 AM
When I was introduced to scraplings back in '07, the story was they were 'invented' by cardmakers who were altering rectangular cards into square ones.

The cut off portion varied in size--from 1.25-1.5"w & 4-4.5"l. The card [I]style[I] was (often) single-fold & the resulting scrapling's folded side was usually the width, but occasionally along the length.

Either way, cardmakers began turning these scraps into cards on their own--sometimes by themselves; other times attached to larger pieces.

Regardless of how scraplings got their start, they are a fun way to play with leftovers.

While I am begining to play with different 'folds' & such, I choose to stay within the original scrapling dimensions since it makes it a challenge. Kind of like keeping to an inch for an inchie.;)

Thanks for the nice comments. I like the haunted house, too. A lot of the coloring results were due to the semi-gloss finish of the recycled cards.

judikins
09-24-2013, 11:06 AM
Great examples and explanation of Scraplings. Okee dokee...time to make some too. Hummmm. I think there there's a list of "cards to make" that needs my attention, so I hope to post something here soooooon. :D

blossom
09-26-2013, 01:20 AM
Great samples Daniel. This also can be added to the swap list of ideas. I love making these.....the flower child

Daniel
12-17-2013, 06:47 AM
Since Blossom has a Scrapling Swap for January 2014, I thot it would be a good time to post to this thread. In the #6 post there's a link to another scrapling thread with more of them to see.

For the swap we have to make 4 scraplings. That's a good number (Thank You Lois). Here's one way to make 4 'different' scraplings in one go...

Start by making or finding a single fold (blank) card 4" x 6". The fold should be along one 6" edge.

Stamp the face of the card. This is a great chance to use larger stamps or build a 'scene' with several stamps. You can also just make a design with your stamps. It's 'best' to avoid layering when you stamp your base, but your choice.

Once you have the card face stamped, measure along the fold edge to mark it @ 1.5" . Cut the card ito 4 strips from fold to bottom edge & you have 4 scraplings that you can use as is or add to. You can add a bit of stamping or whatever to the inside of each scrapling.

Although scraplings were originally done with 'cutoffs' from larger cards, nothing says we can't make them other ways.;):)

blossom
12-17-2013, 06:56 AM
This is excellent Daniel. Well stated too I must say. Thanks for explaining so well and to help us to think out side the horizons of our own thinking.......the flower child

Daniel
12-17-2013, 07:35 AM
This is excellent Daniel. Well stated too I must say. Thanks for explaining so well and to help us to think out side the horizons of our own thinking.......the flower child

Thanks, Lois. Hanging out with cardmakers like those on CP has helped me think in terms of cards--not usually my go-to.:D

Daniel
12-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Got a good buy today on 4x6 index cards. They are a great material to use when you want to test out the idea of doing one complete composition & cutting it into 4 scraplings.

Caesar divided Gaul into 3 parts; I'm shooting for dividing a piece into four.:D