PDA

View Full Version : How's your 'stage fright' doing?

Daniel
10-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Whether you are a beginner or long time crafter, it's a rare person who doesn't have a few tummy butterflies when they share their creations with others.

I choose to call it 'stage fright' since we're 'on stage' when we show others our stuff.

So... Can we talk?:D

blossom
10-29-2013, 11:08 AM
I'm the worst nilly willy there was. I have thrown away so many things always thinking that the other person would not like it. I truly believe we are our own worse critics and we are always so hard on ourselves. Great topic Daniel. I always get so nervous instead of just going with the flow and enjoying myself…..the flower child

Daniel
10-29-2013, 11:47 AM
WTG, Blossom! Excellent start to this topic!

Like you, I've done my share of working & reworking pieces because I'm concerned about the 'audience' reaction.

One of the perks for being part of a community like CP is that we have a stage & audience that likes us as people despite our crafty flaws & flubs.

I may not always care for a particular project that someone has shared, but the fact that I 'know' the maker allows me to find a way to praise & encourage them.

As you say, Blossom, we are usually are harshest self-critics, but... That can get a little 'old' when we always share what's 'wrong' with our piece--rather than letting our pals know what we like about it.

Not saying we have to be over-confident, but I don't really need to hear what's wrong with a piece as the primary point.

TerriO
10-29-2013, 02:50 PM
Well said Daniel. And Blossom I can't tell you the times I have criticized my work and thrown it in a box because I thought it wasn't good enough. But being here on Club Posh has helped me to grow. And as Daniel said we do not have to be over confident but we also do not need to point out our flaws. (which I have a tendency to do on occasion) Hey I have learned art isn't meant to be perfect.
So why don't we make a pact. Accept the flaws and love them because it is art and we are going to go with the flow and enjoy our artsy selves! I feel like this calls for a cheer.....hip hip hooray!:) :cool:

yankee
10-29-2013, 04:51 PM
I threw away so many cards till I learned layering. Oh that is terrible, cover it up with another layer and stamp again! Glued the whole front on the wrong side over the card ( yes have done it more than once) cut the card apart remount it on a little larger card.
Cover it up with a flower, or ribbon, or glitter! Most important, get a thicker skin. All that matters is you like it and would like to receive it. You know it is a winner when you don't want to part with it!

Daniel
10-30-2013, 06:40 AM
Excellent responses everyone! Couple more thots...

1. Accepting compliments. How many times have we gotten praise for our projects & our response is "it's not that great" or variations of that? I'm not much on rules, but I have learned (after many years) that the response to a compliment is always "thank you" first.

2. Pointing out flaws. If someone shares a flaw & shares how they fixed or plan to avoid it in the future. That's cool. That helps me as audience & maker.

Who else is feeling brave enough to get on stage with us?:)

stampwilly
10-30-2013, 12:47 PM
I have learned over the years that I may not like my card, but someone else might. I tend to not like the cards I make that I have had to really labor over to get the look I want. I am, by that time, so frustrated that I hate the card. BUT sometimes the look might be okay anyway.

I don't mind sharing and if someone has some critical points to share, I can learn from it.

Stampwilly