PDA

View Full Version : Remember Why you began stampig?

Daniel
04-28-2015, 09:39 AM
Over on another 'network', a couple of us have been chatting about what first led us to start stamping and what we considered our first 'must learns'.

While our reasons for beginning to stamp differ somewhat, we all seem to agree that learning how to load a stamp with ink & make a good impression was the step that was the most important--regardless of what we wanted to do as stampers.

My reason for getting into stamping was to use them on 'wearables'. Most others reasons were more card/scrapbook related.

How 'bout you? Care to share whats & whys from your first brush with stamping?

loosluck
04-28-2015, 04:09 PM
I had a small stationery store and a customer from out of town asked if I carried stamps. I asked her if she meant postage stamps because I knew nothing about any other stamps. She laughed and said I'll be right back. She had a whole bundle of finished cards and some stamps with her. We spent the last half hour playing with her stamps. The very first thing she taught me was embossing powder. I loved it the minute I saw it and have never lost the feeling you get when the powder melts and the shine begins. That was about 30 years ago. Of course we stayed friends until she passed. You're right Daniel about putting ink to stame, I still have trouble sometimes. Good subject.

yankee
04-28-2015, 05:10 PM
Mine started with my love of hot air balloons.
We went to see several lift offs or balloon races. And they have food booths and souvenirs there. Most were expensive and I have five kids to buy for, so mom isn't getting anything that cost a lot. I found some rubber stamps and I got one.
A few races later I had several more. Now I am looking for them at stores and garage sales.

Finally I husband said in a stern voice " what are you going to do with them?"
So I started trying to stamp!

Many many years later, and tons of all kinds of stamps, I am still trying to learn how to stamp!

JulieB.T.
04-28-2015, 06:45 PM
I started wayyy back around 1974 when I was a preschool teacher in college.All we stamped on was their hands and white butcher paper! Let them choose a stamp, stamp it,color it and have them tell us the story about it which we wrote down on the paper.

blossom
04-29-2015, 01:38 AM
I started stamping from watching the Carol Duvall show. When I fist saw Dee Greunig stamp I said how easy that looked so I bought some stamps. What really caught my eye was heat embossing it took my breath away. I enjoy the craft. When I first started I was willing to learn the different techniques. I may not be the best stamper but I enjoy making the cards and love sharing with others.

Than I discovered Judi on craft TV which was a weekly craft show on the net. I saw how her love and enthusiasm and her perky personality made me love the craft even more and I love Judi too. I've told her so. My favorite episode was when she popped out of a box. It still makes me chuckle when I think about it.

There are so many techniques that it can and does boggle the mind. Believe me I have tied many some I like and other I don't but at least I can say that I have tried it.

Great topic Daniel....the flower child

stampwilly
04-29-2015, 07:10 AM
I started by seeing heat embossing. It was magical and I decided right then and there to make my own cards. I then learned how to stamp and color my images with different mediums and then discovered techniques on Dee's stamping board. I loved trying them all. I am still doing that - discovering new techniques and working with the old!

Stampwilly

Daniel
04-29-2015, 08:15 AM
Lovely hearing what got us started as stampers.

LOL on the 'postage stamps', Loosy!

LOL on the 'stern voice', Yankee!

winsrella
04-29-2015, 07:58 PM
Back in 1997 I was attending my ladies Circle meeting at church. I over heard someone talking about having a stamping party the following week. Sounded intriguing, so I went over to her and said, "I'll come. . .who are you?" Seventeen or eighteen years and some 4,000 stamps later, the rest is history. With my first purchase, I made my Christmas wrapping paper and name tags.

Daniel
04-30-2015, 07:29 AM
Back in 1997 I was attending my ladies Circle meeting at church. I over heard someone talking about having a stamping party the following week. Sounded intriguing, so I went over to her and said, "I'll come. . .who are you?" Seventeen or eighteen years and some 4,000 stamps later, the rest is history. With my first purchase, I made my Christmas wrapping paper and name tags.

LOL, Ann! Love your story!

Ditto to Julie & Lois.

Just like here @ CP, each beginning has been unique--sometimes due to a particular technique or person or pure chance. The results, however, have been fairly universal to all of us. We have lots of stamps, lots of projects and a wealth of friends we've made along the way!:D

loosluck
04-30-2015, 01:01 PM
You just said a mouthful, Daniel.

Daniel
04-30-2015, 02:04 PM
You just said a mouthful, Daniel.

LOL, Loosy (Mary)! I take that as a great comliment, my friend.

One of the things that I did not realize I had missed was being able to interact with people in real life. Much as I love all my 'online' friends, the chance to get out & rub shoulders with others is something I'm really looking forward to when I get to my new location.

My (FL.) friend & I had a fun phone chat today. She shared that I will be introduced to her 'New Comers Group' the first Saturday after I arrive. It's going to be a treat to meet so many (potential) friends.

judikins
05-05-2015, 02:46 PM
Great fun reading how everyone got started stamping!! Its funny because I am currently in MI staying with friends who are very special to me, especially because of this stamping question. This couple was Rob and my first "as a couple" friends... you know, when you get married you bring your friends, and his friends to the melting pot of friends...and Fred and Sharon were the first couple that Rob and I met together as a couple. Ok...so how does that relate to rubber stamping? Sharon is a calligrapher and she invited me to a calligraphy class she was teaching at her home. In her class she showed us how to carve erasers and make rubber stamps. Well that was the start. After hours and hours of carving and tons and tons of mutilated erasers I was super happy and didn't think there was more to this. Another friend saw what I was doing and on one of her business trips she stumbled into a pushcart that sold rubber stamps. She figured this would be much more efficient than my hand carved images and got me a catalog. She was right...I went a little bananas. As a newlywed and kinda broke, Rob freaked out at the check made out to Inkadinkado that was equivalent to our weekly food budget! But he was fab and didn't say too much. But he did a little research and figured if we invested some of our savings in equipment I could make rubber stamps and maybe sell them. Crazy huh? I'm with Sharon now and she laughs because she can't believe she created this little rubber monster!! :D

loosluck
05-06-2015, 03:46 AM
My, my and look at you now!

judikins
05-10-2015, 01:47 PM
Hee hee, yep. So much fun!!

Daniel
05-10-2015, 06:13 PM
What a great fun story, Judi! You just never know where a little contact will make a huge change in your life!