Club Posh

Club Posh (http://www.clubposh.com/forum/index.php)
-   Techniques & Tips (http://www.clubposh.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Homemade Chalk Powder (http://www.clubposh.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6859)

loosluck 03-21-2015 05:10 AM

Wonderful Daniel. I am going to try it tomorrow after the babysitting is over. I have a nice Set of Chalks that sit in the desk doing nothing. It's time to put them to work.

TerriO 03-21-2015 08:02 AM

Daniel that is beautiful. I really like the softness of the colors. Nice way to make the ice cream scoops with the egg stamp.

Daniel 03-21-2015 09:12 AM

Thanks, pals! The chalk-coloring was the easiest part of this project!:D

I'm currently working on 2 more 'stamped & chalked' pieces. I'll share pix when I can, but will share the process now.

I used an intricate wafer thin die & did the diecuts in both CS & craftfoam.

The CS diecuts became my stencil & mask. The craftfoam diecut became a stamp.

I started by using the diecut outline as a stencil. Pounced Versamark onto the base stock, added chalk powder & used the color duster to finish the shape.

Then I used a gluestick to put the foam diecut on an clear mount. Inked it with Versamark. With the outline stencil in place I stamped the diecut. Chalked the image & ended up with a '2-layer' chalking that looks neat.

For good measure? I'm adding some pieces of diecut 'scrap' to the projects.

Why the 'scrap'? 'Cause I'm finding lots during the 'cleanout' & because I want to...:D

JulieB.T. 03-24-2015 10:36 PM

WOW, these are beautiful eggs Daniel!!! Probably too late for this year, but who are the egg stamps by?...........Oh, I see from above that you used a wafer thin die(your egg shape).Love the cup and saucer too!

blossom 03-25-2015 01:12 AM

Love your sample Daniel. A picture always makes the written word make more sense. The colors really pop. TFS . I have one more idea to add to my arsenal......the flower child

Daniel 03-25-2015 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieB.T. (Post 50436189)
WOW, these are beautiful eggs Daniel!!! Probably too late for this year, but who are the egg stamps by?...........Oh, I see from above that you used a wafer thin die(your egg shape).Love the cup and saucer too!

Julie. The die comment is about the (as yet unseen) projects. The egg stamp in the shared project is from IBFS. HTH.

Lois. Thanks. Yeah pix do help a bit. As I've said, lots of the Posh images work really well for this technique & I know the same is true for many Judikins ones.

It's not that very detailed images won't work, but the chalk coloring really pops when the image is a bit more 'solid'.;)

Daniel 03-26-2015 11:21 AM

A friend sent me pix of my most recent chalked projects. Rather than attaching them to this post, I'm going to try doing links to the gallery I have them since I've provided details about how I did them.

Since the site is not a 'shopping' one, I figure it's ok to do this. I'm sure our moderators will let me know if there's a problem.;)

Fairy Heart This link gives the most 'how-tos' for the chalking & such.;)

Birdy Heart

Part of the fun of making these pieces was being able to do lots of different techniques & such. Always a treat for me 'cause I love piling on the stuff!

loosluck 03-27-2015 06:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I played around a little last night with my chalks. I do like the tech. but I shredded my chalk too fine.

Daniel 03-27-2015 10:04 AM

I think it looks great, Loosy! What makes you think you over 'shredded' the chalk? When I make chalk powder (by scraping the edge of a knife along a chalk stick) it is like fine talcum powder.

And I love the 'sentiment'--too funny! I've actually made some voodoo dolls over the years.

TFS, pal!

blossom 03-28-2015 03:35 AM

Mary, I agree with Daniel, it looks great your sample. I think it's fun to play, practice makes perfect. IMHO I don't believe you can make the chalk to fine. As Daniel said with a detailed image from a solid image the results will be different......the flower child

Daniel 03-28-2015 07:02 AM

Thanks for the 'back up', Lois!

BTW? I know you & some other CPs don't care to use knives. Guess what?! You can use a vegetable scraper to make the powdered chalk so no fear of sharp edges.;)

JulieB.T. 03-28-2015 08:33 AM

LOL !! I love the sentiment! Too funny,loosluck:) Cute card too! I agree with Lois and Daniel.

blossom 03-28-2015 09:38 AM

My pleasure Daniel. Now I would also use a micro-plane. Hey, sweet Julie. I too am cleaning and purging not for the same reasons as you Daniel. I have to I promised my honey not to buy no more stuff. So we all know how that goes. Getting off topic for a second my crafting interests have changed. When I first started out I wanted to try everything to find my niche in the world. Hence the purging......the flower child

Ps thanks for letting me vent a little Daniel LOL!!!

loosluck 03-28-2015 01:19 PM

I have the tinyest little hand graper, you know the old kind that you usually take an inch of skin off you knuckles. That's what made me think it was too fine. I probably did not grater enough. This was given to me on a Christmas package. It's about 2 inches tall.

JulieB.T. 03-29-2015 08:30 PM

What about some tools that you might have with stiff bristles? Any wires brushes in the house/garage you might use? Baby bottle nipple brush? Just thinking!...Hi Lois:) Let's keep each other in mind while we toss away! Music might help, don't you think? I think my spirits will be lifted when I toss/donate to a worthy cause:)