Club Posh

Club Posh (http://www.clubposh.com/forum/index.php)
-   Techniques & Tips (http://www.clubposh.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Homemade Chalk Powder (http://www.clubposh.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6859)

Daniel 03-30-2015 08:47 AM

LOL! Graters, wire brushes & such may work to make powdered chalk, but (personally) I'm happy with just blade-scraping the chalk stick. Even a table knife's edge is sharp enough on many chalks.;)

Since (so far) I like putting the powder directly from the stick to the (versamarked) image, I like being able to somewhat control where it goes--especially if I'm using more than one color on the stamp image.

Thanks for all the feedback on this topic so far, pals!

JulieB.T. 03-30-2015 09:13 AM

I have one of those Mary! Good for zesting citrus and nutmeg which by the way lasts indefinitely! I have had a jar of nutmeg "nuts" since 1981 and they are still VERY fragrant. Just in case anyone wants to know;) Another beautiful spring day here! Birdies and butterflies abound! Hope you all are enjoying yours!

Daniel 03-30-2015 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieB.T. (Post 50436250)
I have one of those Mary! Good for zesting citrus and nutmeg which by the way lasts indefinitely! I have had a jar of nutmeg "nuts" since 1981 and they are still VERY fragrant. Just in case anyone wants to know;) Another beautiful spring day here! Birdies and butterflies abound! Hope you all are enjoying yours!

Glad you're Spring is beautiful & your nuts are still fragrant, Julie! :D

Any chance we'll be seeing you do a powdered chalk piece? You can even mix some grated nutmeg in with the chalk.:D I'm pretty sure you have some stamps that would be 'grate' for this technique.

And... If you don't have Versamark (clear), you can use pigment ink--just takes longer for it to 'dry'.;)

JulieB.T. 04-01-2015 06:26 AM

It's pathetic,I know, but I have never figured out how to put cards on this site.My husband did it for me years ago , hence I have only had about 8-9 put on.I 'm terrible with the computer, which is why I've always been a lurker her :O One of these days, I will have a friend teach me.That and my craft room needs a bit of help!

Daniel 04-01-2015 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieB.T. (Post 50436263)
It's pathetic,I know, but I have never figured out how to put cards on this site.My husband did it for me years ago , hence I have only had about 8-9 put on.I 'm terrible with the computer, which is why I've always been a lurker her :O One of these days, I will have a friend teach me.That and my craft room needs a bit of help!

LOL, Julie. You are definitely not a Lurker! Don't sweat the uploading. I know other CPs would be thrilled to upload for you & send you an address to send them your creations. Most will even want to return your pieces to you if you have plans for them. BTDT, pal.

So... I hope you'll give doing a chalked image a try & share your story with us--even if we can't 'see' what you made.;):D

JulieB.T. 04-02-2015 09:36 PM

Thanks Daniel. I will keep this all in my pea brain and when I make something I will send it on for someone to put on the site here if I can't figure out how to do it myself! :)

Daniel 04-10-2015 08:16 AM

While making a recent card, I used the chalk (powder) technique again. This time I used an intaglio leaf stamp on textured CS. I like the results.

The only thing I wish I had done was to add some 'pattern' to the burgandy/maroon CS. Might have been interesting to use the same stamp with just the Versamark ink to produce watermarked images of the leaf. But I can do that another time.;)

JulieB.T. 04-10-2015 08:45 AM

Darling! Great job coloring too! He's sooo cute and so is his pumpkin! I am going to keep that recipe as it looks yummy and I love pumpkins! Maybe a squiggly down the burgundy paper with and embossing pen and e.powder in gold?

Daniel 04-10-2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JulieB.T. (Post 50436302)
Darling! Great job coloring too! He's sooo cute and so is his pumpkin! I am going to keep that recipe as it looks yummy and I love pumpkins! Maybe a squiggly down the burgundy paper with and embossing pen and e.powder in gold?

That's a great idea, Julie. Thank you!

Yeah that recipe does sound yummy, but I wouldn't do it in glass jars. Most of us bakers don't have 7 pint jars in our stash! The recipe reminds me of when our family used to visit a restaurant called 'Country Cupboard'.

In the Fall/Winter they did pumkin muffins as part of their 'bread baskets'. Mom was a huge fan of their Ham Steak dinner. I was always torn between 'broasted chicken breast' & chicken livers. The livers usually won. They were breaded & deep-fried. The outer coat always looked almost burnt (never was), but the livers were always pink & tender inside the breading.

Neat thing about the place was that it had attached shops to wander through while digesting a wonderful meal.

Daniel 04-11-2015 08:32 AM

Hope we're all enjoying our Saturday. All the T-storms & rain completely skipped our area yesterday. Today os breezy & cool, but sunny. We should warm up a bit tomorrow.

Sis was down this morning. She worked in the backyard & got the old shed demolished--it was already in very bad shape. I continued on the enclosed backporch & am ready for a break. Not much room left in the dumpster so we'll probably call & have it picked up next week. As it stands now, we'll need one more dumpster--hopefully that should do it. What junk I'm getting now I'm bagging 'cause I can put that out for my regular trash collection.

Not mush else happening here. Might play with some crafting for a bit.

Cachya later.