Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > General Forum Info > Stamp Challenges

Old 01-01-2013
Super Contributor!

Magazine Submission Group Challenge Feb 2013

Hi Poshies!

Some of you may have recently been following the thread about a Club Posh group submission to a stamping magazine. Well, it took us a bit of time to hammer out the details, but here they are:

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
Magazine: Stampers Sampler
Theme: Friendship
Medium: paper (cards, bookmarks, door hangers, etc.)
Unifying elements:
  • ephemera -- including photos if desired. As for embellishments, use whatever looks good or is appropriate, but don't go overboard on "foof"!
  • Judikins and/or Posh stamps as the dominant images
  • Color: old-fashioned sepias or b/w coupled intelligently with other old-fashioned (read: faded) tones; retro (40s to 60s) colors could also be used, but aim to keep them "faded" like an old polaroid so they'll mesh.

DEADLINE: Friday, February 15th, 2013

Post to: Judi♥Kins • 17803 S. Harvard Blvd. • Gardena, CA 90248

Note: the deadline has been modified from what was discussed earlier because the Stampers Sampler has recently been changed from a bi-monthly (6/year) to a quarterly (4/year) publication. Getting our artwork to Judikins by Feb 15th will give Judi and company a month to assemble it together and forward it to Stampington before their next art call deadline (which I deduce to be be March 15th).

Please post in this thread if you are going to participate! (We had a tentative group of about 8 people around Thanksgiving time.)

Thanks,
Sharon
Old 01-01-2013
Super Contributor!

Send a message via AIM to Kathy N.
argghh i'm wounded and can't play. maybe i'll submit my own theme - stamping by the handicapped. good luck everyone.
Old 01-01-2013
Super Contributor!

I'm in. Now I'll have to put my thinking cap on.
Old 01-02-2013
Super Contributor!

Thumbs up LOL, 'Sherm'!

Was begining to think you were a figment of my imagination!

The details sound good! We certainly do better than Congress when it comes to compromise.

After a good bit of thinking about it, I'm up for joining the group submission. Even the earlier deadline works for me. Given too much time, I always end up forgetting or wimping out.

Like You & Winsella, I'm putting on my thinking cap, but hope to just start doing stuff & not be too concerned about what they'll turn into.

You don't say, but I'm guessing sending Judi several pieces would be helpful so the mag has a number of projects to see--regardless of how many or few of us are able to join in.

Starting to 'fade', but this is a great way to start 2013 @ CP!
Old 01-02-2013
Super Contributor!

multiple submissions okay

Thanks, Daniel, for the reminder to everyone that they can indeed make more than one entry. That would increase each contributor's chances to get published.
Old 01-02-2013
Inky Fingers

Do they want a whole card, or just the card front? If a whole card, what do they do with them afterwards, whether accepted or rejected?
Janet
Old 01-03-2013
Super Contributor!

Smile Card format

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardmaker View Post
Do they want a whole card, or just the card front? If a whole card, what do they do with them afterwards, whether accepted or rejected?
Janet
Hi janet! If your submission is a card, you have the choice of doing a card front or a whole folded card. I usually do the latter, because they donate them to charities (like orgs. that send cards to soldiers) afterwards. They used to send back entries if you sent a check for return postage, but it must have become too messy for them, because they've discontinued that practice.
Old 01-03-2013
Super Contributor!

I am definitely in! Sounds like fun!

Stampwilly
Old 01-04-2013
Super Contributor!

Wink

Sharon. Am I correct that we need to include the following with each of our samples sent to Judikins?

Each sample has the artist's name, address, e-mail & phone # attached.

Each sample has both brief instructions & stamp credits attached.

I'm sure Judi will be sending all our submissions for Stampers Sampler's consideration--unless there is a 'problem'. I'm sure if there is any problem, Judi will contact us & we can work it out.

Plus... It may happen that some members may have their projects published with the 'group' and separately. You never know...
Old 01-04-2013
Administrator

Hurray! Thanks Sharon. Ok. We'll be looking forward to everyone's contributions. We'll submit all that we receive. And yes, I think the magazine will only publish a project if all the details are included. Generally it's because of copyright rules and things, so please be sure you label your work. Can't wait to see all the projects!!
Old 01-04-2013
Super Moderator
Ask Me Questions - We're here to help!

I will also join the group.very interesting
Old 01-04-2013
Super Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loosluck View Post
OK- so I get the theme (great) I love the sepia tones but I'm a little confused on the presentation. Is it cards only or can we choose a card, a tag o r an ATC if we want. It doesn't matter which, I just want to know where to start.
Hi Loosluck,

I've transferred your question from the old thread to this "official" one.

Of course you can do ATCs or tags. In the Guidelines, it says that the medium is paper, and is relatively flexible as to whether you choose cards, bookmarks, or other similar formats.

Glad to have you aboard!
Old 01-04-2013
Super Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
Sharon. Am I correct that we need to include the following with each of our samples sent to Judikins?

Each sample has the artist's name, address, e-mail & phone # attached.

Each sample has both brief instructions & stamp credits attached.
Hi Daniel,

Yes, as soon as I posted the Guidelines post, I thought of all kinds of things I should have added to it, but decided to wait and see who signed up before bombarding the thread with more info.

Here is the official word from the Stampington website about Stampers Samplers submissions:
All artwork must be identified with the artist’s name, address, e-mail and phone number clearly printed on a label attached to each sample. As artwork often gets separated from instructions during our selection process, we ask that you also inscribe your name and address somewhere on each piece of art. If you desire acknowledgment of artwork receipt, please include a self-addressed stamped postcard.

...(E)ach piece of a collaborative project must be labeled with contact information of the artist who created it. Please be aware that the collaborative project in its entirety will only be returned to the submitting artist and must have sufficient return postage.
The last paragraph says that any of our submissions would be returned to Judi, who would then have to re-send it back to us. I would suggest (for simplicity's sake and as a courtesy to Judi) that we submit work that we accept will not be returned. If you want a copy for yourself, either scan it, photograph it, or make 2!

Actually, the lack of a stamp credit will not prohibit your work from being published. There are numerous samples which lack credits (or partial credits) and/or instructions. However, as we are using our sponsor's stamps here, it would be a courtesy to mention Judikins and/or Posh names.

You also do not need to put your complete address. Your name and city/state are fine (especially if your card gets donated to a charity.) Instead of putting that info on a sticker, I'm probably going to use some of that 3M Post-it tape that can pulled off without ruining the card.

Brief instructions on how to make the card are also preferable to none. I suggest limiting these to maybe 30 to 80 words if possible.
Old 01-05-2013
Super Contributor!

Thumbs up

'Sherm'! Terrific job of adding the info that we need concerning 'documenting' our submissions. Thank you (& Judi).
Old 01-05-2013
Super Moderator
Ask Me Questions - We're here to help!

Sharon. Thanks for the quick reply. I got it now am already working on my presentations. Judi is special to me and I want to do her proud if I can. This is going to be fun and a little daunting all at the same. Time. M

Tags
magazine submission