Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > Stamping in our Lives > Techniques & Tips

Old 03-17-2015
Super Contributor!

Smile Homemade Chalk Powder

I recently ran across a challenge that caught my imagination.

The host asked players to use chalk to color stamped images. She provided some ideas for how to tackle the process, but didn't limit how players could deal with their entries (bless her heart).

With no chalks handy, I found some @ the drugstore just up my block. I bought two boxes of Crayola chalk sticks--white & colored--for $1.29 ea. So far so good.

The hoster suggested stamping the image with Versamark (clear), then applying the chalk & removing excess to 'pop' the image. Tried it & was unhappy with my results. Then I had a 'what if?' moment...

What if I stamped the image & then scraped the chalk stick with the edge of a knife over the image? Know what? It worked!

Scraping was just like cleaning carrots. My fingers were never in any danger of being cut by the knife. And the chalk powdered so easily!

And I found I could put the powder more-or-less where I wanted it. Even use more than one color of chalk.

After playing for a bit with various ways of doing this I had an 'AHA' moment. I remembered that I had some Judikins 'Color Dusters' (even knew where I'd stashed them ).

Guess what? They worked great! I could scrape directly over the versamarked image & use the 'CD' to press & move the powder onto the image. I could also make a separate palette of powders & use the Color Duster to pick up & blend colors before using them on the image.

Chances are you're going to want to see a 'visual' of this. 'Sok! I have sent my piece along to a friend for a pic & soon as I can I will show you what I did.

'Til then? I hope y'all will share your experience with chalk, ask questions & just plain chat about this topic.
Old 03-17-2015
Super Contributor!

You can even use the finest cheese grater in your drawer that you may have~It almost comes out like powder. Or, your zester!
Old 03-17-2015
Super Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB.T. View Post
You can even use the finest cheese grater in your drawer that you may have~It almost comes out like powder. Or, your zester!
Terrific tip, Julie! Thanks! Nice thing about using the kitchen tools you suggest with chalk is that they'll clean up easily & can still be used with food. And if a bit of chalk gets in the food? Well. We all can use a bit of calcium in our diet.

What was particularly fun about this challenge for me was that it took me back to a time when 'homemade' was the way to go with crafting.
Old 03-17-2015
Super Contributor!

Reminds me when my husband used bits of white paper, flour and water to replicate the "cottage cheese" ceiling that we had that needed repairing! No one could tell the difference!
Old 03-18-2015
Super Moderator
Ask Me Questions - We're here to help!

Daniel, how awesome is that. Who knew, TFS. Julie great tip……the flower child

PS Id be afraid to do this my self me and Martha my craft knife are not on friendly terms she spends a lot of time in the corner having a time out
Old 03-18-2015
Super Moderator

Great idea!
Old 03-18-2015
Super Contributor!

Smile

Glad you gals like the topic. 'Sok, Lois. You can use Julie's grater idea & leave the knife in the corner.

So far I've had best success doing this on white or light colored stock. Did a quick try with the chalk on dark stock & it's tougher to see the results. Might play more when I get a chance.

Although using the inexpensive chalk for this is fun, you can also use ground spices & non-cream makeup (blushes, eye shadows, etc.) for this technique--with or without a 'color duster' brush. But the brush is nice to have.
Old 03-18-2015
Super Contributor!

Yes, Lois, leave that naughty knife in the corner till it knows how to behave! I'm going to try this too!Great idea with the old ,never used, don't want to toss out, eye shadow!! Have lots of that! So many ideas you have given us Daniel! I can just see how some spices would make great soil!
Old 03-18-2015
Super Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieB.T. View Post
Yes, Lois, leave that naughty knife in the corner till it knows how to behave! I'm going to try this too!Great idea with the old ,never used, don't want to toss out, eye shadow!! Have lots of that! So many ideas you have given us Daniel! I can just see how some spices would make great soil!
Yes, Julie! Tumeric & mustard are great yellows. Chilie powder & curry are nice reddish colors. Cinnimon & nutmeg are good browns.

For good measure? Talcum (plain or scented) is great for white.

Just a reminder... For this particular technique you will stamp with a Watermark or Pigment ink & use the powders (chalk or other) to color the image. You will get the biggest 'pop' if your image is fairly 'solid'.
Old 03-18-2015
Super Moderator

Daniel do you heat set before or after adding the chalk, etc?
Old 03-18-2015
Super Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriO View Post
Daniel do you heat set before or after adding the chalk, etc?
If I were to heat set it would be after I had worked the powder onto the image. Setting the ink before adding the powder would defeat the purpose. The chalk wouldn't stick.

That said. I don't heat set the powder most times. HTH
Old 03-18-2015
Super Moderator

So the chalk sticks and doesn't rub off? I guess I thought maybe you needed the melting of the versamark ink to make it stay stuck. Cool idea. Thanks
Old 03-18-2015
Super Contributor!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerriO View Post
So the chalk sticks and doesn't rub off? I guess I thought maybe you needed the melting of the versamark ink to make it stay stuck. Cool idea. Thanks
Yep the powder doesn't rub off, Denise. That said, it doesn't hurt to do a quick 'heat set' once you've done the powder work--applying & working in.

Actually? 'Heat Setting' might make a good thread topic. Any Poshie is free to start it (or revive a thread from our archive).
Old 03-19-2015
Super Contributor!

It seems you have mastered it ,Daniel. Can't wait to see your results. I am showing this oldies technique on another board but here is a link to it on my blog -- step by step -- if you are interested. Julie, that is so funny what your husband did to the ceiling!

Stampwilly

http://stampwillydesigns.blogspot.co...k-popping.html
Old 03-20-2015
Super Contributor!

I got a pic of the project I did with my homemade powdered chalks.

All 6 eggs in the 'Sundae' were stamped with Versamark then powdered with one or more colored chalks. The green egg was first powdered with yellow chalk & then a bit of blue chalk before using the Color Duster brush to blend the colors.
Attached Images