Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > Stamping in our Lives > Stamping Stories & Stamp Chat

Old 04-26-2015
Inky Fingers

Angry

I was horrified to see on our news the other day, that two creeks in drought-ridden California were drained dry because the water was being used to irrigate marijuana grow-ops!!!!! This was discovered by helicopters flying over the area. How sick is that??? Some people just don't care about what happens to others as long as they can make money! I was and am disgusted.

Janet
Old 04-26-2015
Super Contributor!

Thanks, Janet, yes, that does sound bad.I have not read about it, but I am thinking it is wayyy north of us above S.Francisco. That area is called the Emerald Triangle(three counties that have a lot of pot growers in them).Even pot growers are going to have to cut back their water use.I
'm not sure how they could have drained a creek for their pot use. I will have to see if I can find the article. We got about 1/2 inch of rain on Friday.It was a nice surprise for this time of year. Probably our last big amount.
Old 04-27-2015
Super Moderator
Ask Me Questions - We're here to help!

Daniel, thanks for the info. I think it very admirable that you stayed with your mom. That seems to be so rare these days. good luck on your new journey. Will see you when we see you Daniel. Have fun and enjoy yourself.....the flower child
Old 04-27-2015
Super Contributor!

I know it is rough for those of you in CA with the lack of water. I do not mind sending some your way, we have had a lot and since hubby is in construction it has been a pain for him. Daniel, I know you will like the warm weather and being with your friends in FL. It will be a big change but sounds like a good one!

Stampwilly
Old 04-27-2015
Super Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by judikins View Post
Julie, we were in NCal a couple weeks ago for the Sacramento. Yes, sure looks dry. Rob said something about the state of CA (or maybe it was one of the water districts near Wasco) wants to start charging people for the water they are pumping from their own land? I kinda thought if you own the property you own it all the way to the center of the Earth. Anyway, I hope you don't have to deal with this. It sounds like it's a big issue for the farmers in that area.
I'm certainly no expert, but I do know that property rights is not a simple matter. Whether it's water, minerals of even the air space above the ground. Want an example of 'air space'. When skyscrapers became the norm in the early 20th cent., little to no thot was given to their impact on the surrounding space. Land owners used every bit of their land & built as high & wide as possible. Result? Many areas became dark canyons & the wind patterns changed dramatically. So laws were passed that required land owners to build in totally different ways. That's why lots of '30s sky scrapers have the characteristic 'setbacks' in their style & why current ones must leave 'breathing' space on the property.

Water rights are currently getting a lot of attention--especially in our Western states--but who 'owns' what water is not a new concept & not even unique to any locale. Few would dispute that our climate (not weather) is non-static. It changes as conditions change. What has to be figured into today's equation is the impact humans have on it--especially since the beginnings of the 'revolutions' in Industry--including the agricultural one that is so important to our nation. Thus endeth my 'sermon' & no offense meant to anyone, I promise.

Yeah, Judi, I think Rob's correct. Looks like an Ibis to me. The ancient Egyptians used to mummify them in honor of one of their gods. When I last visited FL. (Tampa & Tarpon Springs), I saw lots of birds. I liked the laughing gulls & brown pelicans, but also got to see anhingas & egrets in their habit. I'm looking forward to that. I'll be located on the Gulf side of FL & that pleases me. No offense to Eastcoasters!

Tomorrow I plan to ship some stuff ahead. I'm keeping lots of stamps, my most recent inks (Distress & StazOn), my Cuttlebug & all my wafer dies & embossing folders. Also taking lots of my most recent stencil buys.

Hope we're all to a good week's start today. Catchya later!
Old 04-27-2015
Super Contributor!

85 here today at 5:54pm~! We had our first raspberry yesterday! The vines are full this year and a few weeks early .My brother said our almonds will probably be a bit earlier than last year. Warm weather is the cause. I imagine the same will be for the walnuts and the row crops. When I was a young girl, we harvested them around the first or second week of September.We'll see how the summer goes. Did I already tell you all this?? I hate it when I do that! We haven't had our unbearably hot days in July for the past two years. Hated them! I see the east coast and southern states are still having eratic weather:{ Snow in Utah too....I have been playing with some new Twinkling H20s and the Gels and Silks from ColourArte.com. Learned that you need to have the thicker H20s "ink" to put on the rubber stamp.The more watery version doesn't work as well.The colors are glorious.Try them out.I think their 25% off sale ends today.Cold chicken salad and tea for dinner tonight.Too warm for hot food! Hmmm, maybe I'll lose weight! Nah

Last edited by JulieB.T.; 04-27-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2015
Super Contributor!

Best wishes on your move, Daniel. You will be glad to be in Florida, especially in the cold winter months. I wish you much happiness in your new location. Hope we hear from you soon via CP.
Old 04-28-2015
Super Moderator

Daniel, so glad to hear you decided on a place where you know at least one person. I hope Fla. is a place where you will grow and learn although you already know quite a lot. Have a wonderful life in Fla. Enjoy and once in a while, check in with you cp buddies.
Old 04-28-2015
Super Contributor!

LOL, Julie. Are your raspberries red or black? Around here they don't come in 'til late June (at the earliest). My mom used to make (black) raspberry custard pies. I loved them, but 'hated' the seeds. If I have a fave (seasonal) fruit, it has to be strawberries. Lots of local farms grow them & fresh strawberries & homemade shortcake is a meal--especially with thick cream on top.

Thanks for the continued good wishes on my move, all. Yeah, Ann, I don't think I'll really miss the cold, but may get nostalgic about snow once in a while. Same for Fall in PA, but my new 'home' will be interesting I'm sure. Aside from the hurricane potential, it will be 'fun' to learn how natives define their seasons.

I've learned there is a local community theatre group. I plan to check that out. I did both costume designing & acting in college & Theatre was my major.

I mailed stuff South this morning. Gonna be fun to see what stamps I actually sent 'cause I just kept throwing them in the box. Thank goodness for UMS & flat-rate shipping boxes.

Next 'move' job is to start packing some clothes. Should be able to get lots of T-shirts & shorts in fairly small bags.

Hope we're all having a terrific today! Catchya later!
Old 04-28-2015
Super Contributor!

Hey Daniel! No seeds in our red raspberries. I haven't heard of black ones. Are they wild or maybe black berries/boysenberries? I plan on freezing them if we get a lot like it looks like we are .Then I can make raspberry jam when it's cool and not hot in the summer! The only thing I know about Florida is what I see on CSI, my favorite psy-fi channel.Beautiful birds, flowers, water AND of course the perfect tanned bodies!!
Old 04-28-2015
Super Contributor!

LOL, Julie. My body is far from perfect & my tan will definitely look like leather, but that's ok.
Old 04-28-2015
Super Contributor!

You are right, Daniel, raspberries DO have seeds but they are sooo little they don't bother me.Blackberry and boysenberry seeds are a different thing.Still love their deep flavor though.Judi, I just saw your comment about farmers having to pay for the water they take out of their wells. So far , we don't have to. WELL, if we have to use ours(we only have a few) the only thing that we have to pay for is the PG&E bill, which would be extremely high! We only do that if it is out last resort.We were told last week that we can buy water from our neighbor if they are not using it but ONLY if we share the same irrigation pipe.Things are going to get ugly and very stressful this summer around here.
Old 05-04-2015
Super Contributor!

Smile

Happy Monday, All!

Our weekend weather was gorgeous. Hope that was true for all my Poshie Pals.

I've made a good start on packing my bags for the 'big move'. So far; so good. My flight leaves May 6. I have already shipped some 'gotta have' craft items ahead, but forgot to add any EP. 'Sok. I've tucked a few jars of them in one of my checked bags.

Other than continuing the packing & making sure I've got all the household bills paid, I don't have any big plans for today. I'm not a big list maker, but may do a check list to ensure I'm as prepared to travel as possible.

Hope we all have a terrific today. Catchya later!
Old 05-06-2015
Super Contributor!

I saw our first cherry tomato today Still a bit orange, but wow, that is early for tomatoes. Our raspberries are getting ripe and the bell peppers are about the size of a walnut. Looks like crops are coming in early this year due to the weather. I guess that is ok as long as they are ripe/fully mature. Someone from the dept. of Ag. said that out crops would be early. Weird for sure. When I was child of 12 or so, we harvested almonds the first week of Spetember. Now, it is the third week of August!! Had my first yogurt of the season tonight.Chocolate and cheese cake.Yummy! Had to drive to the next town to get it , but it was worth it! Don't worry, I only ate about 1/2 cup.Saving the rest in the freezer
Old 05-09-2015
Super Moderator

Wishing all mothers a Happy Mothers Day tomorrow. May your day be as wonderful as you are and that you all spend time with those that love you and call you Mom. For those of us that have lost our mothers we will never forget and remember you always.....the flower child