Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > Non-Stamp Products > Rainbow Sponge

Old 11-17-2002
Happy lunatic

Pointillist backgrounds

Today I was trying polished stone backgrounds, trying different variations on the technique and having problem getting the right look. I got some nice backgrounds nevertheless, but they did not look much like polished stone.

This one was one of my favorites, so I wanted to share it. I was trying the felt method, when you take a piece of felt, put it on a block - I used a round wood piece and some double stick tape - than spritz with alcohol and put ink on it. I had some ink on it already than I just decided to randomly dot the felt with drops of ink of various colors. Than just stamped on the cardstock. i got these really neat pointillist looking backgrounds. Depending on how many times I went over the cardstock or how much alcohol I sprayed, and the colors of course, I got different results. Much faster than polished stone and the effect is really cool. I uploaded a sample of four sheets. What do you think?
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2002
Super Contributor!

Really nice

These are really nice and quite a different effect. They are also different and cheerful. I could just see a gold or white embossed something to finish it off. Very nicely done. I would love to see what a card looks like when it is finished.
Old 11-17-2002
Super Contributor!

Talking

Marta,
That's a really cool background. Thanks for sharing it with us!
Old 11-17-2002
Super Contributor!

Backgrounds

I like the look as well....but here come my naivete.....what went wrong that you didn't get the polished look?
Old 11-17-2002
Happy lunatic

Well I am not sure, they are just not turning out like the examples in the gallery. I think it probably has something to do with the way I was moving the cotton ball. I got some instructions from Daylene (lovetostamp) and they made things much clearer for me and I did manage to make one or two that looked like polished stone. But by than I had the felt and the inks and I just decided to play with them, so this is how this one came about.

Thanks for your nice comments, I actually have not really thought about how I could use those for cards, I just thought they looked cool. Thanks for the suggestions, teatah, they really help to steer my thinking

Marta
Old 11-18-2002
Super Contributor!

Marta,

These are great. In your email to me I think you mentioned that you didn't use metallic ink. That is probably why you didn't get the "polished stone" look. There is something that happens when the alcohol and metallic ink react that cause the "veining" and thus the stone look. But these are great for something different.

Thanks for sharing them with us!
Old 11-18-2002
Happy lunatic

Smile I made one into a card

Teatah, thank you for starting me thinking about how to make them into a card. I was thinking of what stamp to use but I just could not see any of the ones I have on it. Plus I was kind of lazy. Than I spied this postcard of a polar bear cub hugging its mommy, and I thought - it is white! Plus cute So I trimmed it to size, edged in gold and attached to the background. It looks very Christmasy. Does it still count as a handmade card if I use a photo or postcard?

Thank you, teatah!
Old 11-18-2002
Super Contributor!

Send a message via AIM to sarebear Send a message via Yahoo to sarebear
Talking These are neat!

I LOVE these! you are so creative and come up with wonderful things, Marta, and your enthusiasm always inspires me!

Sare
Old 11-18-2002
Super Contributor!

You bet

It sure does count if you find a picture and add gold and add it to a card. I may start something here, but here goes. You know all those junk mail catalogs you get in the mail? Well, when I get them. before I throw them away, I look through them and if I see pictures that I like, I cut them out and save them in a ziploc bag. Then every once in awhile I will go through them and use them on cards. Free pictures for the asking. I usually save the ones that are at least 1 inch square or bigger. You never know when that picture just may be what you are looking for to finish off a card.
Old 11-19-2002
Super Contributor!

Thumbs up

HECK, yeah, I agree with teatah! In fact, don't be afraid to use MORE than one image that's "pre-done".....it's still a handmade creation, just a different art-form. Add some torn papers, maybe a charm (even a stamp! ) and you've got collage art!

And I love these backgrounds, they'd make great frames! And for some reason, to me they have a New Year's celebration feel to 'em, I can almost see the confetti! Way to go, Marta!
Old 11-20-2002
Super Contributor!

Marta,

I think the backgrounds you did came out great! The colors really work together.

Patricia in FL
Old 11-27-2002
Happy lunatic

Wildflower background

Well, I thought I'd try the same technique on a rainbow sponge instead of a felt. I dotted ink and misted with alcohol. I expected something like the pointillist one but this is different! I also had a bit of pink on my sponge so it turned out like a wild flower garden. It is also the easiest and fastest background to do!
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2002
Proud to be British

Very pretty

This background is very pretty Marta:-)........ reminds me of print dress I used to have as a child. I just love the fact that you experiment so much. Keep going
Old 11-27-2002
Super Contributor!

love it

I love this background, Marta. This is so cheerful. It would cheer up anyone. I will definitely have to give this one a try.
Old 11-30-2002
Super Contributor!

Thumbs up

OH, now THIS one is WAY COOL!!!!! It does look just like a floral print!!! It just yells 'SPRING'!!!

Keep up with your experimentation, Marta, you're coming up with some great ideas (not to mention some great backgrounds! )