Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > Non-Stamp Products > Rainbow Sponge

Old 10-13-2002
Contributing Member

Wow Marta - that's great! I'll have to try your very clever idea out for my dark cacas!

Thanks for the reminder Char - ya, you do have to fill the underside if you want the design to stay puffed. I made a copper b-day card for my son this year and the first thing he did was poke it with a fingernail to see if it was what he thought it was - uh huh. I just use acrylic medium though.

Darn it Char, wish now I hadn't thrown out that beat up electric skillet. Never even thought of that. But good tip though on the temperature. I was heating up my copper on high and it was just too quick so I went back to my butane lighter. I'll have to try again with lower heat for better control of the color change.

OK Carlotta, Jil, Daylene, DebRn, Char, and all you others out there - do we gotta come to your door and ask your mommies if you can come out to play?? we're waiting ... Marta and I are in tattered armors and falling off our horses here. We need some backup!

Chi
Old 10-13-2002
Happy lunatic

Talking Well, yes, backup please!

I second that! Maybe we could move those into another thread called "cacanot challenge" so people can see it

I am going right now to play with my copper. I wonder if a toaster oven would work?

Thank you for the compliments I really like the effect on this one myself. Now if I knew how to reproduce it LOL

Come on, post your recycled cacas! We are waitin'!

Marta
Old 10-13-2002
Happy lunatic

Cool I think I discovered a new technique!

Well, I was making the copper embossing as directed... it was great fun, BTW, I think I'll do this more!... and then when I was done, I needed a background. So I grabbed this piece of black cardstock that was sponged with green metallic rainbow ink. Now it was not technically caca, but it needed that extra something. So I decided to plop some copper ink for sponging on it. Now silly me, when the inker did not drop right away, I started to shake it while it was over the paper! Nice little plops of ink were splattered all over the paper, small, but all kinda curled up in a bubble. So I decided to flatten them out with Cut'n Dry nibs. From each bubble I started to draw random squiggly lines outward until the ink dried up on the nib, than again until the bubble dried up.

What I ended up with was just way too cool! It looked like metallic sea creatures in the water! I got so excited about it that I forgot to heat my copper piece (LOL ) before mounting so here it is judge for yourself - I think it is just way cool!

BTW how do you glue your copper piece to a cardstock? What kind of glue you use and how you apply it? Also, what to do with the edges - they are sharp? I folded them over and I like it that way but is there any other way?

The scan is a little funny, the copper piece looks like it is indented toward the cardstock although actually it is raised. Sun design is my own doodles

Happy stampin' and please enter the challenge!

Marta
Attached Images

Last edited by Marta; 10-14-2002 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-14-2002
Contributing Member

Ooolala Marta! Donít you just love it when disasters turn into something great - lol? I just LOOOOOVE your doodles. Iím the geometric trype doodler Ė not much character like yours. Iíll have to start practicing doing curves.

I use my bone folder to flatten out any sharp edges Ė another point I forgot to mention. Ya they can get pretty sharp. I just carefully smooth edges going away from the design. Do it on both sides if necessary. Somewhere deep in my memory databanks: advice about credit cards making great smoothers for foil-type pieces Ė maybe they work on copper too?

I use double-stick carpet tape for adhesive Ė itís grey-backed and sold in rolls at hardware stores. I think I read somewhere that E-6000 is also good. I also read somewhere that a drop of tacky glue on double-stick foam (i.e., if you want it raised) is pretty strong.

Char was right-on re temperature. I lowered the heat to about medium on my electric stove and it was much much mo betta. Look Ma Ė no forceps!

Another great idea on the new thread. Iíll start one with a new post.

See ya there Ö hopefully with a whole bunch of other people. Címon guys, LETíS PARTY!

Chi
Old 10-14-2002
Contributing Member

I started a new thread but screwed up the subject - thought I could make that Bold too but it didn't work - sigh ...

Maybe the Webmaster can fix it?

Chi
Old 10-14-2002
Contributing Member

HELLLLP!

Char, where are you? First I screwed up the subject line of the new CacaNOT Grove Challenge thread. Now I notice posts are in descending order by post date.

Who can fix my booboo and can the same person keep the thread intro on top?

Thanx so much,
Chi
Old 10-14-2002
Happy lunatic

Oh, Chi, thanks You are my inspiration! I love that all of your work is so different! And guess what - this lack of Posh stamp thing actually boosted my creativity - I have to doodle and I love it! Although I wish I could use some of my stamps. Sigh (I know I know copyrights )

Thanks so much for the help with the copper. Now I need to go get carpet tape! I already have so many different glues and tapes but never the one I need LOL I used tacky glue and it did adhere but the edges are not as neat as I would like it. I'll try to flatten the edges if I want to do something fancy like you with those fancy edge scissors Otherwise I think I will stick to tucking them under. Possibly covering them with a paper edge. As a mother of very small children I am very safety concious...

Your new image is georgeous! It is so great to see you do new stuff! I love the curved frame, goes well with that Posh heart, and it is not your usual straight edge!

You go girl

Marta

P.S. I am in the process of ordering (for a week now, I go back and forth on everything) some stuff from posh, and it will have one or two duets - the dragonfly for sure and maybe the sun or the pine trees. Than I can post stamped stuff
Old 10-14-2002
Contributing Member

Thanks Marta! It's fun to do new stuff - I get bored very easily. Feel the same way with my other stamps - wish I could use them too but I don't want to get wrestled into the ground by Char again - lol!

I really like the Posh Duets - 2 for 1! Can't beat that and what's great about them is you can use both or either or. Bought some unmounted (new territory for me) stamps at the show the other day and even actually finished mounting them. They work great! And pricewise, they can't be beat - half the price of mounted stamps - wow! The booth I bought the foam sheets for mounting was selling her stamp collection at rock-bottom prices. The lady in front of me must have had over 50 stamps and the whole thing came to less than $50. I wanted to go browse but didn't want to fight the crowds.

Sameo sameo with adhesives. I can't seem to find the right stuff - demo'ers always make it look so easy. I have a couple of those roll-on dry adhesives that never seem to work right. I love the concept but either they won't roll or yards of the stuff comes off when I lift it.

The only one I found to work great is the 3M stuff for packing but the narrowest width it comes in is 1/2" and sometimes that's just too wide.

Anybody have any suggestions on the best roll-on dry adhesive that really works? The ones I've tried are Tombow & DryLine.

Chi
Old 10-14-2002
Happy lunatic

I am sure glad I was not at that convention!

It would have put a major dent in my children's future education fund!

I too found places on the net that sell unmounted stamps by the sheet, one place $20 per sheet for a whole plate 8.5x13! Another for $ 14.95 per sheet. Unbelievable. On the other hand, I don't think I would use unmounteds too much, it would be way too much trouble for a lazy gal like me Plus I tend to spend more on stuff that is cheap because I think about it much less! LOL

I usually use glue stick for most gluing, it works great on cardstock and photos, but anything else is trouble. I am experimenting with spray glues, but I need ones that are not instant bond, (I often need to realign pieces) and most of those are not permanent. Elmer's Spray glue is the best for gluing but often runs and wets the cardstock.

Well good experimenting, this is really fun I gotta go, family

Marta
Old 10-15-2002
Super Contributor!

Wow!

Chi and Marta, both your creations are fabulous!! I wish I had time to play right now ... I just have too many other things going on. I also do not have a scanner. I have to take my creations to a friend and let her scan them for me, so even if I was able to whip something together quickly, it would probably be a week or so before I could get it scanned!

I did want to mention a tip about adhesives. (This is for those of us who aren't fortunate enough to have a Xyron ) I gave up using those expensive double stick tape adhesives and use FabricTac. It is a liquid glue found in the craft section at Wal-Mart for $3.96. It dries very quickly, doesn't leave bumps like regular glue and lets you reposition. I have noticed I can't use it with glossy black paper as there is some chemical reaction and the glue line shows; so I use double stick tape when using glossy black paper.

Keep your ideas and creations coming. Thanks for sharing!!
Old 10-15-2002
Happy lunatic

Thanks for the compliments! Sorry you can't contribute now... but maybe later. I don't think we set a deadline, did we?

About the glues, all my life I had trouble with glues, I was the girl in school whose glue would run all over, the glued paper would curl up and eventually fall off, and I would have glue all over my hand, clothes and the table I can't even put a sticker on right, LOL! So I am still looking, thanks for the tip, I do have a bottle of fabric glue, I think it is Aleene's, I will give it a try.

I think I found out what Crystal Laquer is, though. It is simply acrylic gel medium! At least based on the description of the bottle it is. I will give it a try tonight after the kids go to bed.

Chi, if you read this, I sent you a private message, please read!

Happy stampin'

Marta
Old 10-15-2002
Contributing Member

Mucho thanks Daylene! Understand on the scanning problem but we're patient - aren't we, gang?

I'll have to check FabricTac out - I think I have enough space in my glue chest for it - lol. I do have a Xyron but sometimes it just seems so wasteful to do one little itty bitty item and I don't always have enough to fill the rest of the space. So I save the Xyron for bigger items. I use UHU glue stick too but sometimes it doesn't always stay - even on matte paper. I've also used Art Institute and specially like the fine point it has - this one really stays but can also cause buckling like any other wet glue. I really like the dry adhesives if only they would work - aaaarrrggghhh!!

Chi
Old 03-28-2005
stampedinhisimage

I'm so impressed by "caca"! I bought some Posh Rainbow Sponges awhile back because I had a coupon I ddn't want to waste by letting it expire so I chose the Sponge kit because I knew I didn't have one. I have never opened it because I didn't know how to use it and didn't have time to sit down and play with it anyway. Well now I am not working and with all the inspiration I have just received I know I will be happy to make "caca" as well as the backrounds that take your breath away. I have never done any weaving either and must try it, I loved the card I saw with weaved "caca".

Last edited by Diana Jones; 01-31-2009 at 06:37 PM.