Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > Non-Stamp Products > Rainbow Sponge

Old 03-10-2006
April is Autism Awareness

I need serious help witht he sponges

Well, I tried to make a background paper...DISASTEROUS!! The colors ran together and looked like blue mud. The sponge blobbed down little bubbles when I tried to make the tile pattern and the colors are WAY to dark when I first start. I also have no clue on how they patches are made on the sponge itself. I think I had the right idea when I let those poor sponges rest for a year LOL I think I traumitzed them now LOL.Stamp On!!! DebbieJ
Old 03-10-2006
Super Contributor!

DebbieJ.....
Dee has made a video on how to "sponge".
Go to Sunday International and check it out.
Old 03-10-2006
Proud to be British

I will try to help Debbie.
First I must ask the question as to wether or not you are using the correct sponge?
The sponges Dee uses are compressed sponges which are much harder than make up sponges, although good quality wedge shaped sponges can be used for a softer effect with brush markers.
The usual favourite to make backgrounds with are the compressed sponge used with Dees rainbow inks. These are different packs of small bottles of ink in various shades that go a long, long way.
What you need to do is to drop a little of one colour of ink onto the EDGE of your sponge ( my idea of a drop, is one that is a bit larger than a pin head)
Next choose another colour and repeat the process, until you have a line of dots along one edge
Place some scrap paper under a small piece of glossy paper ( an A4 sheet cut into quarters makes for a more manageable size)
Now starting on the scrap paper gradually *"swish" the sponge
*( pulling movement of your arm usng the wrist to elbow) across the glossy paper ending again on the scrap paper. This should give you a nice streaky like look.Repeat the process several times before re inking, or if you like a wetter look spritz the sponge with water usinga fine spray bottle . A dryer sponge will give you colour with white streaks that can look nice for a change.
really it is all down to practice, practice and more practice until you seek the desired effect.
Good luck Debbie I hope it works out for you, and let us see your results if you are happy with them.
Old 03-10-2006
Super Contributor!

debbie if you dont have a video of rainbow sponging try to get a copy of the little ringbound book called, Magical rainbow sponge, techniques,examples and instructions. PLAID may have some copies of this left give them a call. Or maybe Ranger the iISBN number is 0-96 76461-1-1. Hope this helps Kind regards Andrew O.
Old 03-10-2006
April is Autism Awareness

joan,
Thank you so much for your response. I was just getting so frustrated because I ADORE the looks of the sponge effect. Yes, I believe I am using the correct ones. I purchased 3 sets of them 2 sets with the sponges and 1 set of the earthtone colored inks without the sponge. I also purchased the floral and the metalics...I know, WHY would I buy ALL of those without knowing how to use them. I have had them for 1 year now and thought I would learn LOL. First, I did NOT have the scratch paper to run onto and off of, that makes so much sense to me because I had HORRIBLE start and stop marks LOL Secondly, I also was using WAY to much ink. Let's put it this way, for fear of not embarresing myself, let's just say my "drops" on the egde, colored the spong ALL the way to the ohter edge LOL. Now that I know that much, I am going to try it again tonight. I appreciate you taking the time to help me.Big Posh hugs to you joan.
Andrew, thanks so much for the info and number, I will call first thing in the am or if they aren't open, first thing Monday morning. Big Posh handshakes to you You all are so wonderful. Stamp On!!!DebbieJ
Old 03-11-2006
Proud to be British

I rather thought your "drops" could have been big ones Debbie LOL Ask away, anytime I can help I will only be too pleased to do so and good luck with your next try .
The inkabilities do take some practicing with to get the look you want to achieve, but when you see the lovely backgrounds Dee has got with the same technique, you then realise that the practice is well worth the time and effort you spend on it.
Just a tip, having grandchildren myself...........make sure that the tops on those ink bottles are securely fastened after EVERY use. Children just love to see colour on their hands and everywhere else for that matter, so better safe than sorry LOL
Old 03-11-2006
Super Contributor!

You are very welcome debbie about giving the info of the sponge little ringbound book, you will be able to see the visuals inside, each style of rainbow sponging shows the visual and the instructions and the colours of the inkabilities used for each type of project example ribbon weave pattern. Happy searching do hope you get a copy Regards Andrew O.