Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > Non-Stamp Products > Rainbow Sponge

Old 01-14-2002
Charter Member

Send a message via ICQ to CarlottaP Send a message via AIM to CarlottaP Send a message via Yahoo to CarlottaP
my results

I hae done the shaving cream technique using the Inkabilities reinkers with very good results, on lots of different papers. I did find that you can't do it on plastic coated glossy papers (I knew it but I wanted to show the results), because the ink wipes right off. You should see it on vellum and "parchment" type papers!

I hope to post the results later this week, when I have had time to crop and scan the papers. I also plan on delivering actual samples to Dee and to the folks at Ranger at HIA later this month.
Old 02-01-2002
Administrator

Thumbs up An excellent example of the shaving cream technique is in the Image Gallery

Look in the "Other" section of the Image Gallery see button directly above) for a terrific example of the shaving cream technique, submitted by Carlotta Pengelley, our talented Moderator (with a CAPITAL "M")!
After posting this, I just noticed that she has the post directly above this one.
Old 02-05-2002
Charter Member

Send a message via ICQ to CarlottaP Send a message via AIM to CarlottaP Send a message via Yahoo to CarlottaP
Paper types

OK, I admit- I have a closet FULL of paper. I mean I have literally thousands and thousands of sheets, and most I could not even tell you what brand they are. I just know the types.

Matte Coat is the same as kromecoat I believe, that is a clay finish, but matte instead of glossy. It is absorbable, meaning dye ink will absorb into the paper and pigment ink will eventually dry on it.

Plastic Coated paper is what most colored glossy paper is. It literally feels like it has a plastic coat on top. It does not absorb ink or liquid, unlike uncoated or clay coated paper. If you stamp on it with a dye ink it will bead up. If you stamp on it with pigment ink, it will never dry.

All I can suggest if you are still not sure, try it yourself and see what kind of result you will get. If the ink doesn't "take", it probably is coated with a non absorbable, non porous surface like plastic.

Clear as mud? I wish I could help, but like I said I am a person that doesn't keep inventory of paper brands, just types. If anyone out there is familliar with the different company names of paper and their types, feel free to jump in and help us out.
Old 02-07-2002
Super Contributor!

Ok, I can help out here I think. King James Caste Coat is just white glossy paper. Whenever you see "cover" it just means it cardstock thickness, versus text weight paper. I've never heard of 'Evergreen glossy', but if they're not referring to the color evergreen, then I'd say they're probably a paper manufacturer....have you tried doing a net search for "Evergreen paper"?

Well, I just that search....the best thing I came up with (there were over 200 listings! ) was Evergreen Art....which seems to be a large art/craft supply house (probably in the town of Evergreen!).....guess I'm not much help after all, huh?
Old 02-13-2002
Super Contributor!

Just a note Pepper.....King James is NOT glossy on both sides! At least what I have isn't!!!
Old 02-27-2002
Super Contributor!

Send a message via Yahoo to vangerhofer
shaving cream technique

Hi, Just got done trying the shaving cream technique and now I have papers sitting all over on boxes in my utility room drying. They sort of cured up and I agree it is messy, but I did not get my hands dirty because I wore rubber gloves. I only wish I had used different colored papers, instead of all white, but if I ever try it again, maybe I will then. White paper I thought would be universal and work more with many colors. I will have to see what the end result is, and decide from there if I will do it again. But I just had to try....... Thanks, Verna
Old 02-27-2002
Super Contributor!

Shaving cream technique

Oh, I forgot to add that a friend had reccommended this a long time ago, and I always forgot to GET AROUND TO IT (round tuit) need to pick one of them up sometime. Hers looked so neat, but I am afraid mine will not look as well. Also I did some on King James Caste coat and some on plain white matte cardstock. Both took the colors well, but I need to practice more to get it swirled right. Hugs, Verna
Old 02-27-2002
Super Contributor!

Shaving cream technique

Well, the verdict is in. Mine look dumb. I do not have what it takes, and for me it is a waste of paper and my precious ink. I will stick to the sponging, as I can do that fairly well. I admire all of you who can do it so well. Oh, well, can't say I didn't try! Oh, and I used all of my hubby's shaving cream, but thank goodness he has a can of gel left. Or I would get a look like this.... I had fun! Verna
Old 02-28-2002
Super Contributor!

Give it another try Verna!

Verna,
You've got to try it again! My first attempt with the shaving cream technique didn't work because I didn't let it dry long enough before I tried to wipe the shaving cream off. Maybe your backgrounds aren't coming out to your liking because of something really simple. Take another look at your technique and try it different. I think this is a really cool background to make. JIL
Old 02-28-2002
Super Contributor!

shaving cream technique

I may try it sometime when I have more shaving cream, but for now will let it be. I have too much other things to do, and since hubby lost job, money is tight. Thanks for the encouragement though. Verna
Old 03-02-2002
Super Contributor!

Pepper,
My favorite paper to use for the shaving cream technique is white glossy paper. I have had success with lighter colored glossy papers, such as baby blue.
I like to swirl the colors around with a pallet knife. It goes much faster than if you use a toothpick. Good Luck, JIL
Old 03-09-2002
Super Contributor!

shaving cream technique

Well, maybe the reason I didn't like it was because I used only a toothpick and I did not see a lot of colors, and then later it just looked muddy like. Will try again with a spatula sometime when I get more shaving cream. Nursing a backache today, so not even attempt much now..... Verna
Old 03-10-2002
Super Contributor!

Verna,
I hope you're feeling better.
You can try any kind of flat surface. A plastic knife would work. I can just imagine how thin the color would be if I swirled it around with a toothpick. Be sure to let us know what you come up with after you try again. JIL
Old 03-10-2002
Super Contributor!

shaving cream technique

Yes I have a small spatula which should do the trick, and the backache will improve I am sure. Pulled a muscle doing housework, not rubber stamping. Thanks for the get better wishes. Hugs, Verna
Old 03-11-2002
Super Contributor!

I want to see your work!

Ok guys- you all need to start posting some of your work you've done with the shaving cream technique. If you have a scanner, upload some of your backgrounds for us to see. Even better, use Posh stamps on your backgrounds. If you don't have a scanner, you can send your work to Char. She has generously offered to scan your work for you. You guys have to start showing off your great work. I want to see it!