Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > Non-Stamp Products > Rainbow Sponge

Old 04-03-2002
Super Contributor!

Send a message via Yahoo to vangerhofer
shaving cream technique

Okay stampers, I am now waiting to see what you did with the shaving cream papers...come on, I put mine up, now I want to see yours..I love to see new ideas and since shaving cream paper is new to me, the field is wide open.... Happy stamping hugs, Verna
Old 04-03-2002
Administrator

Thumbs up Thanks for all of the ideas and action for the shaving cream technique!

Many thanks for all of your hoopla about the shaving cream technique. Dee has done some shaving cream examples and is taking them to Europe with her to show to classes and in her demonstrations. Beyond Stuttgart, where she will headline a stamp convention call Stempelzauber there, she has now been asked by Plaid Euro to teach their teachers and demonstrators in Germany, Holland and England how to use stamps, make scrapbooks, use photos, and I'll bet she shows backgrounds from shaving cream. She will teach about 50 teachers.

Who is most responsible for giving good ideas? It looks to me that is was CathyC who gave instruction and enthusiasm and answered many questions from excited club members.
Thank you, Cathy, and I'd like to put your work up in the image gallery, if it is not already there. I just looked and don't see it. Cathy...can I identify your whole or real name to club members? I haven't gone into the administration area to look you up yet.

Is there another spark plug I have left out? Let me know.

Thank you, Cathy, and thank you all who expressed interest, asked questions and got involved.

Warren
Old 05-03-2002

Shaving Cream Technique

Saw this mentioned in the May newsletter. Immediately went to the site to check it out. Thanks for the great directions. Now to the stamp room to try this out. Will let you know what I think. Looks like it will be a great technique to add!!!
Thanks, Michelle
Old 05-03-2002
Super Contributor!

Michelle,
You'll love this technique! It's almost therapudic. We're glad you checked out this thread. Let us know what kind of results you have with this technique
Old 05-04-2002

Wink shaving cream

Hi Cathy C love the effect you got, I have tried this method,but did'nt get that lovely flowing look that you have, will have to have another go,with your directions. thanks kiwi joe
Old 05-06-2002
Contributing Member

Hi kiwi-joe

Sorry to hear you didn't get the results you were looking for. The samples I posted were 2nd and 3rd generation printings. I'm usually not really thrilled with the 1st printing. It's generally pretty strong and I like a more subtle look.

Also, I took some time and really worked to get a good marbled effect before I started the printing. On those, I think I used a small kitchen spatula. You can get a variety of effects depending on what you use to swirl the inks. I happen to prefer the marbled look.....just me I guess.

One word of caution, though. If you overwork the ink, you can end up with a muddy mess! Otherwise, there really isn't a right or wrong way to do this. It's just what pleases your eye. You may not have gotten the exact look you were expecting, but I'm sure they were just fine for a different kind of project. Just keep trying. It's fun and a very inexpensive technique to experiment with.

Let us know how you do!

Cathy
Old 05-07-2002

Wink

Hi cathy c many thanks will try the spatular,good thinking might just give me the look i'm trying to get, I love the marbling look,and love doing bsckgrounds, unfortunately,I hav'nt a scanner,so can only look at others work,love the club, and all the comments, take care ,kiwi .
Old 05-07-2002

Thanks Pepper, yes I will watch not to over do it, I have tried quite a few different, methodes with the shaving creme,just trial and error I think, thanks kiwi.
Old 06-16-2002
Super Contributor!

Smile re:shaving cream technique

Thank you for sharing on how to do this... I have to say, I will enjoy this very much.. My parents anniversary is coming up next week, I will have to give it a shot.. They need to get something new.. My Dad just thinks its great that I make my own cards and don't waste my money on store bought cards!!
Old 06-16-2002
Contributing Member

i tried it too.

I gave the shaving cream a try one day. But I didn't want to use too much cream. So I spread
out a little bit then put a few drops of ink and did the effect on tags.
They came out pretty good.
But when I was done I wasn't sure what to do with the cream. So I put it in our toilet.
When I saw it , it looked like a cleaner. So I scrubbed the bowl with it. Gee the bowl
came out so clean. This is really good stuff.
So crafted and did some house work all at once. DH will be so happy.
RitaFz
Old 06-17-2002
Super Contributor!

Talking Saw another way to do this technique

Hello,
I was watching Carol Duvall on HGTV last week and I happened to catch the trailer for the simply Quilts show that comes on right after Carol. they were dying fabrics with shaving cream. I had to watch it.
I learned a few things that might help us. the guy who does it waters down his shaving cream with water. It was about the consistency of real whipped cream (not cool whip.) he stirs it with a whisk to form soft peaks. He works in a big rectangular foil disposable turkey roaster. He also mixes some shaving cream into the dye ( ink) so all of the ink floats on the surface. I was very intrigues by this. He had a pattern i've never seen before. he used a hand operated drill (almost like an egg beater) and inserted one mixer piece into the pening of the drill. It looked just like a hand operated mixer, with one beeter. He swirled it through the cream & dye mixer to create the prettiest pattern I've ever seen. I'm going to have to try his techniques with paper. I just wanted to share them with all of you!
Old 06-17-2002

Lightbulb shaving cream backgrounds

Well, this is my second comment. Hope I'm doing this right.

About the shaving cream backgrounds. I used Luna Lights ink and Lumiere paints. They both worked great. I loved them on the dark papers (dark green, blue, burgundy, black, brown) they were all beautiful. The gold and silver lumiere worked on black shiny paper real well. I also used a turquoise metallic from Lumiere and was it striking on the black glossy.

My first mistake when we started was not pressing down hard enough on the paper. I had no idea the firm consistency of the shaving cream. The note that I first saw about what shaving cream to buy was to use the expensive, foamy, unscented one. That's what I did. I bought three cans. We didn't even use 1/2 a can. I did 72 8 1/2 x 5 1/2 sheets. We put the shaving cream in an oversize disposable cake pan. We filled the pan (big mistake). Next time I would only fill 1/2 of the pan. Enough so that the width of the paper is easily handled.

I used a small spatula to scrape off the cream then set the paper on newspapers to dry. Several time I had a spatula full of lovely (not muddy) paint so I simply got down an clean sheet of paper and frosted the paper like a cookie. Then scraped it off. Got twice as much use out the shaving cream that way. Got some neat paper too.

I also use the Posh ink at other times. We liked almost all of them. Some of them that had lots of color I stamped with stained glass stamps (flowers). Then I cut out the frame around the stamp. By they way, I embossed on it. The heat seemed to bring out the colors too.

crftyldy
Old 06-17-2002
Super Contributor!

Send a message via Yahoo to vangerhofer
embossing on shaving cream papers

I have not done any embossing on the papers that I have made as yet, but since you said the heat seemed to make the colors more intense, I will certainly have to try it. Thanks for all the input. Hugs, Verna
Old 06-18-2002

Smile Shaving Cream Technique

The shaving cream technique explained by Cathy is great....I was wondering if I was doing the right thing...but I have the most marvelous results - and when it gets muddy looking I add a bright color and it comes out on top of the muted colors - a very dynamic paisly look with a splotch design of a brightly colored swoosh...
Thanks - this makes the best backgrounds for when I am looking for something "else" to use..
Marcia
Old 06-18-2002
Super Contributor!

technique saw on tv

Stampire; Did you get to copy the instructions for that
technique you saw the man do the other day with the
shaving cream? If you didn't you can go to HGTV's web
site and do a search for shaving cream, then you should
see Shaving Cream Dyeing and click on it. Then click on
the print version and you can print it out so you can have
it to read and keep.