Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > Scrapbooking > General Scrapbooking

Old 12-04-2011
Contributing Member

die cut machines

I wanted to get some opinions on what die cut machines you use. I want something simple but that has a lot of choices. Reasonably priced too. I am not a daily scrapper but I could be if I had the right things. I have made a couple minis. Any suggestions would be great. Thank you. Kay
Old 12-04-2011
stampedinhisimage

I have the Original Cuttlebug and the original Sizzix and they work just fine for what little I do. I bought the CB on sale but I got 2 of the Sizzix machines from those who were upgrading to Cricuts. I am not a scrapper really yet so I have no inclination to upgrade to bigger or electrical anytime soon. I have the jr sizes of both too for the smaller sized dies and they work great too.

You might find someone you know willing to sell their original models if you know avid scrappers who have upgraded. Ask around. They probably aren't using them anyway with the new toys they have.

Good luck.

Diana Jones
Old 12-04-2011
Contributing Member

Thank you, I will.
Old 12-04-2011
Super Contributor!

Hi Kay I only have the Cuttlebug, but I love it. Pretty inexpensive(got it on sale) and so are the folders that you use with it. You can also use the Nestabilities with it which is very nice. I only scrap a little bit also like Diana. She made a good suggestion. Good luck
Old 12-05-2011
Super Contributor!

I am not a scrapbooker, so I love my Cuttlebug. I asked a lots of questions before I bought it. If you want something larger for scrapbooking, I would say the Grand Caliber, which I think is from Spellbinders.
Old 12-05-2011
Super Contributor!

You can also ask for die cutting machines on you tube and get some comparisons.
Old 12-05-2011
Super Contributor!

I have the BigKick/BigShot, which is slightly larger than the original Sizzix. Positives - makes very clean cuts, also cuts chipboard, thin wood, foam & multiple sheets of paper when you use the full size die; embosses; uses most manufactures dies; no power source needed. Negatives - size limitations; you need to buy the different design dies; it can take a bit of strength to turn the crank with thicker materials.

I also have the Slice, which I like a lot. Positives - very portable; has a rechargable battery; you can pick the exact part of a patterned paper to cut; most shape can be cut from 1/2" to 4" in 1/2" increments. Negatives - you need to buy the design cards; sometimes the paper can get snagged by the blade (I've only had this happen with textured paper). When it was first introduced it was eventually to be able to allow you to download your own designs on to the cards. That hasn't happened yet, and I don't know that it ever will.

I would say that the newest Cricut may be the most versatile right now. You can use the Cricut cartridges, or you can connect to your computer and download shapes. I think that it only does 12" x 12" papers, but you have total freedom as far as cutting size. It was recently introduced on HSN. [I saw it and was very tempted.] KathyN posted that she received one as a gift, so we'll have to wait for her feedback.

If you have a scrapbook store nearby, you might want to go in and sample each type.
Old 12-05-2011
Contributing Member

Thank you all. Very informative. Ill check youtube then michaels.
Old 12-05-2011
Super Contributor!

Send a message via AIM to Kathy N.
I have a Sizzix Big Shot and a Slice Machine. The Big Shot can use Sizzix dies, Cuttlebug dies, Spellbinders and Quickutz dies, plus all embossing folders. The Slice Machine cuts electronically. If you want to use embossing folders, go for the Big Shot or Cuttlebug. If you just want to cut images in different sizes, go for a Cricut or Slice.
Old 12-06-2011

Great suggestions from others. I'm an avid card maker, and I have Cuttlebug, and luving it! I'm not a scrapbooker, and i mostly buy "Frame" type dies, and luving it! If I think of needing more Special dies, like Turkey shape, etc., i might get Slice Elite LATER. I like PORTABLE ones cuz of my space availability.
Old 12-07-2011
Super Contributor!

I have the original Sizzix and then I got the cuttlebug. I love my cuttlebug! I have the cricut too. I use that sometimes, but I use the cuttlebug all the time. I think it is very versatile and easy to use. I had a scrapstore demonstrate the different machines, that really helped me with my decision. DebRN
Old 12-07-2011
homeschmomof4

Send a message via Yahoo to JeanneLee
I have the BIGKick...which I like, because it can cut so many different materials.
Purchased a lot of dies at Sizzix dot com when they have their sales and Free shipping.

BUT my fave is my Cricut E2.(my craftroom is in the basement and no computer down there...so the newest Cricut Mini wouldn't work for me)

I have bought all of the above machine/carts/dies/accessories with coupons(except the E2!)

Its a tough decision!
Old 12-07-2011
Super Contributor!

I just saw last night the commercial for the Cricut large/small. I don't usually see cardmaking "tools" for sale on TV so it was nice to see.
Old 12-08-2011
homeschmomof4

Send a message via Yahoo to JeanneLee
Julie, Cricut must have something up their sleeve. They also have their big Cake machine on sale at Cricut.com for $49.95! (Addendum-it was $49.95 yesterday and the past several weeks...its up to $129 as of today...sorry)

Last edited by JeanneLee; 12-08-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old 12-09-2011
Super Contributor!

I have the original Sizzix and loved it - then got the Big Shot and love it. I use it on almost every project. Easy to use and lots of fun stuff to use with it for me.