Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > Non-Stamp Products > Rainbow Sponge

Old 10-10-2002
Happy lunatic

I need to clarify, I guess. The backgrounds are not "caca" any more, but they used to be! I smeared metallic ink over really bad regular ink background. It covered nicely and what shows through adds nice color touches.

Thanks for the compliments
Old 10-12-2002
Contributing Member

Oh my goodness - everybody's been busy!! Thanks for all the compliments and more tips. My weaving bin will suffer from this I'm sure. And, hey!, maybe we can start a caca-NOT website? Maybe we can call it the CacaNot Grove?

Marta, I sympathize with your lack of Posh stamps - I too suffer from the same. But (in case Dee or Warren are 'listening') I swear I have every single accessory they sell so I don't feel so guilty about admitting to it. I'm one of those who are more interested in and have more fun with technique rather than any specific end product. Cards I produce are usually by-products of learning something new.

OK, now I'm playing with the few Posh stamps I do have. This one is a shrunken butterfly. I only used the outline stamp. It sits on a cacanot square enhanced with metallic copper (I LOVE metallics). The leaf is also a cacanot, punched out, crumpled, then touched with a metallic inkpad. The tag is a brayered then crumpled craft paper scrap glued onto an old business card and the whole thing cut into a tag shape. I use this technique a lot. Sometimes I just brayer over everthing, crumple it up, then lightly swipe over it with metallic inks. Rangerís Cut NíDry is great for this. I cut them up into little squares and that gives me limitless options on the metallic inks/paint I can use. This also eliminates contaminating your ink pads. If you use pigment re-inkers, you can wrap the square with plastic wrap, throw them in a ziplock, and store them in the fridge. Theyíll stay pretty decently fresh for a long time. Other inks, youíll have to wash them out right away.

Business cards are great for tags Ė just the right size and only the corners need to be cut for the standard style. But they can also be cut down to whatever required size or style and make great squares for layering. So donít throw those old cards away!!!! I do all my work over craft paper and when itís almost completely caca, I brayer a mellow rainbow color (Big N Juicy Spice almost always blends everything beautifully) over the whole thing and it can become a cacanot giftwrap, background, whatever.

Overall background is just the wing of the stamp used true to scale.

OK, Iím off to a stamp convention to see what else I can get suckered into buying. This is only my second one Ė I canít believe Iíve missed all the other previous ones in this area. Has Dee ever demoíd in the Seattle area? Does she have any plans to?

Chi
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2002
Super Contributor!

Chi, well there is only one to say about your cacanot image. WOW!!! I love it!
Have fun at your convention, my daughter and I went to our first one last April. We were blown away. We have to wait until May of 2003 for the next convention in our area. Please get some good stuff and some great tips and share them with us. Sometimes I must stamp and live vicariously thru others. Happy Stamping! I really must get some metallic inks.
DebRn
Old 10-12-2002
Super Contributor!

Chi,
This is fabulous! I love this card! Thanks for sharing the tip about the kraft paper and the business card. I can't wait to try it.

Happy Stamping!
Old 10-12-2002
Happy lunatic

Talking Cacanot! Now this is funny!

Cacanot grove! I love it! Rqdragon, your posts are so funny! ROFL

I myself am the type who likes to experiment more than anything and if it ends up well, so be it, if not... than we are into Cacanot Grove! (this is too funny hehehe )

You are a great inspiration! Your results are GEORGEOUS! I love the idea of the craft paper and the crumpling, also the Cut'n Dry pads! I will definitely not throw out my test papers from now on! Just brayer over it. Well, I need to get some of those big and juicy pads, than.

I had a little discussion with my husband about the budget and I think I give myself some more for this year, given the fact that I just started and I did buy some of the wrong stuff early on. I will restrict myself onto things that I really badly want though, and that dragonfly duet you were using is one of them! Also the Cut'n dry pads, I discovered them yesterday on the website, I MUST have those, and possibly that Big'n Juicy pad! I even was thinking about the same color you mentioned (I don't have one yet), the Spices was the one I was thinking about Well, yes, and I do seem to be amassing all the accessories from Posh, but I already have stamps from other companies, and a lot of them are actually similar in style, so that would be a waste of money for me right now. Except for the dragonfly that I don't have at all. Maybe later when I have every accessory I want LOL

And keep posting, I love reading them And seeing your amazing work, too!

Marta
Old 10-12-2002
Super Contributor!

Thumbs up

Chi, another wonderful creation! I love your color 'sense', and the texture that you added by 'crumpling'!!! Come on, y'all, pull out those horrible backgrounds you've got laying around, and make some ART!
Old 10-12-2002
Happy lunatic

Question

That sounds like a Cacanot Challenge to me! Only ugly or damaged backgrounds can participate that have been saved in some way, that does not include complete coverage of the ruined part. How about that?

Just an idea
Old 10-12-2002
Contributing Member

Thanks guys! Well, I survived the convention with major damages to my pocketbook. Iím having a 50ís Halloween party and Iíve been trying to make several CD compilations of 50ís music Ė goal is at least 3 CDs. As Iím sure you all know, between work and crafting, itís not always so easy to get anything else done. I somehow managed to get Vol I done however and I was playing it on my way to the convention. Anyway, between beebopping and laughing in disbelief at some of the lyrics and pitiable pleadings (Puppy Love), I swoosed right past my exit! (*#%&!!! But, the saddest part of this story is that I actually knew most of the words to most of the songs I had recorded Ö groan Ö

Char, Iíd love to take credit for my color Ďsenseí but I use a color wheel Ė even though I do have my own notions of color combos, sometimes they get really rude and go psycho on me so a color wheel takes the guesswork out of the formula.

DebRn, I had the same experience with my first convention. I looked around me and was astounded at all these mad women wheeling their totes. I thought maybe I had walked into a luggage convention! After early purchases of 1 gallon of something and a quart of another must-have stuff, 3 trips back and forth to my car, I decided the idiot was me! So this time around, I went prepared and joined the tote crowd. It was GREAT! Itís one of those unconventional stamp conventions Ė not sure what that means. But there were sure tons and tons and wonderful, mysterious things that I just simply had to have Ė lol!

Oh Marta, more new stuff you too have to have! Before I forget again, your cards were absolutely gorgeous! I loved the vibrant colors and the way they interplayed with each other. Have you ever tried metal embossing? Yup, one of my new purchases today. Itís super easy and if you love metallic, youíll go absolutely gaga! My post doesnít do justice to the copper so youíll just have to try it yourself. Tell your honey you bought your supplies at Home Depot. I actually bought the pre-cut sheets at the convention today but I know they have them at hardware stores for a lot less. Bigger sheets too!

Daylene, re business cards. Sometimes Iíll cut them in half (longways) and that makes 2 mini tags. I also use the unprinted side to Ďcleaní my brayers when switching colors. That gives a really beautiful muted effect specially with rainbow pads. On these, I brayer in one direction then turn the card 90degrees and brayer again. The colors are completely mixed this way and youíll get minimal color lines. Youíd be amazed how much color is left on these brayers even when they look completely dry. Note: if the printing on the card is embossed, this will show through on the other side when you brayer.

OK, hereís more cacanot stuff. Embossed duet (solid) leaf on copper Ė background lightly colored with alcohol pens. Edged with a pastry cutter. Layered on a cacanot panel and onto a mini-card (2 Ĺ X 3).

Chi
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2002
Contributing Member

The cacanot gauntlet has been thrown! OK, my last post was my entry because I didn't bandaid my cacanot. And thanks a lot Marta, there go my hopes of getting my 50s Vol II & III done this weekend ...

Chi
Old 10-12-2002
Happy lunatic

Cool Wow! How do you do THAT?

You gotta tell more about that embossing on metal! You get what kind of metal? How do you cut it? And how do you emboss? Also, what is the deal with the PASTRY-CUTTER?? I see you used copper... is that soft?

Results are absolutely FANTASTIC and so fresh and new! You are full of ideas, really inspire me!

Marta
Old 10-12-2002
Contributing Member

OK, 36 gauge metal (aluminum, silver, copper, tin) is thinner than heavy cardstock. They can be cut with ordinary and even decorative scissors. They come in either rolls or pre-cut sheets. At craft stores, I think they're called embossing metal. At hardware stores, I am told they come in much much bigger sheets and costs a lot less. I have to check this out.

Embossing tools: stylus of some kind - the same kind used for dry embossing (with brass stencils). OR an ordinary ball point pen that's run out of ink will do as well.

Embossing mat: use a mouse pad that's fairly firm but still gives. This cushioning is REQUIRED. A stack of papers will do too but the rubber pad works best.

You can either do a free form drawing or use rubber stamps. For stamping, I prefer Tsukineko's StazOn ink to Crafter's because it's a solvent ink and therefore rapid drying. Crafter's has to be heat set.

If you do a freeform design, all you have to do is draw on the copper with your stylus.

If you stamp on a design, outline it with the stylus - on the stamped side.

Then flip the piece over and outline INSIDE the first outline. If you want the design to be raised more, use a wooden burnisher in the areas you want raised.

Now comes the fun part. Using pliers or forceps or locking tweezers or anything similar for protection, apply very high heat to the piece - right or wrong side - it doesn't matter. You can either use an electric stove, or a butane lighter of some kind - I use a barbecue lighter. I 'need' a welding torch! Copper magically changes color - anywhere from an orange-copper to a metallic pink or blue. Each piece is different. NOTE: Color should change within a minute or less. If overheated, it will turn to silver - yuck - hate silver. So keep moving the heat source and watch carefully.

Metal gets very very hot so allow to cool completely before handling. After it's been cooled, you can add color highlights to your design if you wish. I use alcohol pens - Copic. They're great on metal. And if you screw up, you can wipe it off with plain alcohol.

I use double-stick carpet tape to attach the metal to paper. The pastry wheel cutter adds a nice edge as well as ensures that the tape is well adhered. I've seen these pointed awl-looking things that people use. But that only pokes one hole at a time. I thought, hmm, wonder if a pastry wheel would work. It does and much much faster!

Hope I explained this well. It's really very very easy - the card I posted only took about 10 minutes or so. Honest!

Are we having fun yet?

Chi
Old 10-12-2002
Super Contributor!

Talking WOW

I love the two new cards you guys uploaded today. They are both beautiful. This uglky background challenge is really producing some wonderful creations. I'll have to go through my piles of half finished cards to see what I can salvage. I hope you guys keep adding more great cards to this thread!
Old 10-13-2002
Happy lunatic

Thanks for the directions!

Great directions! You are amazing that you do all that stuff! But 10 minutes, I don't believe that It takes me as long just to get all the stuff I need, than another 10 to make some space on the table LOL...

I showed your card to my hubby and we were discussing copper yesterday; today we went to Michaels and he picked out some for me! So I am off trying it out as soon as the kids let me

This is my entry to the Cacanut Challenge. This was a quite bad sheet of background. Than I smeared metallic blue, copper, pink and green over it. Than it was very shiny and I wanted it to be more pastel. So I layed some stencils over it, the cut out part, and brayered over with white. This way the butterflies stayed colorful and vibrant and the background became muted. Than I added highlights and doodles with a gold pen. It is now very shiny and colorful and I like it.

Happy stampin'

Marta
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2002
Super Contributor!

Well, Chi, you've managed to make me pull my copper out again and play some more! Isn't it fun??? Also, to heat your copper, don't forget about skillets! That's how I make my copper do it's 'color-change' thingie, I simply place my completed piece into my craft skillet, set it at about 350-375, and let it go! I remove it when it gets the way I like it, each time is different. And no need to hold it with pliers, either!

Also, the tooling metals found at Michaels are a little thin for my liking, I get my copper sheets from craft cattys that carry a slightly thicker version. Remember, if you're embossing a larger sized image, you have to put something under the raised portions when you're done embossing, or it will crush back down or get dinged up on you!!! Crystal Laquer or Diamond Glaze will both work well for this purpose, simply fill in the embossed areas on the back of your work, and allow to dry. That way, it will STAY raised for you!

And sooner or later, if you're embossing metal, you're going to ding it someplace you didn't WANT to ding it....usually in that nice, smooth background area! Never fear, you haven't ruined it! Simply take your stylus and start dinging the entire background!!! It will end up having loads of texture, will accent the main image, and you know how you use a texture stamp to get rid of all that extra white around your main image in a card? Well, dinging the background does the same thing on metal! Kinda like using the Splatter It Up stamp!

And Marta, embossing metal is just as fast as embossing paper....maybe a little faster, cause it's not as prone to tearing as paper is! And your card came out wonderful, no one would ever know that was a caca background now! Y'all are responding to the CacaNot Grove Challenge (LOVE that name, Chi!) with resounding success!
Old 10-13-2002
Charter Member

Send a message via ICQ to CarlottaP Send a message via AIM to CarlottaP Send a message via Yahoo to CarlottaP
The Cacanot Grove

Again, the work I am seeing on this thread is FABULOUS! I love all of the new entries to the challenge. If I weren't busy planning out and creating projects I am already comitted to do, I would have my stuff out and making some of these mself.

Keep inspiring everyone!