Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > General Forum Info > Posh Swaps

Old 02-28-2013
Super Moderator
Ask Me Questions - We're here to help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
Just do them, a new one every month. That way we can pick and choose.
Ask for SASE, that will cut you costs down. If one or two still cost you, ask to be embursted. I don't think people understand the costs. I have a gasp, every time I go to the post office to mail something.
I like ATC, I start out in Jan making two different ones, one to mail and one in case( I don't have time, or not in the mood, get sick, etc). That is how I mostly the first one who sends theirs in. Always have one in reserve. I did the same thing when I was in the card of the month.
But I like new things to try.
So let's do it and talk less!
I like Yankees idea....lets stop yakking about it and just do it.
Old 03-01-2013
Super Contributor!

Wink

I don't mind the 'yakking'--it helps build up our stash of ideas. That said... Anyone is free to start a swap anytime they wish. It does not have to be the same few--even tho' they are willing.

At the moment I am in 3 swaps already for the month of March & also have several challenges I 'need' to do pieces for. This is not a good time for me to pick up the swap ball as a host.
Old 03-02-2013
Super Moderator

I'm a little confused here. If anyone can do a swap than you don't need a swap mom. Usually one person does the swaps and anyone can do a challenge. If things have changed than no one told me about that.

Last year I started a recipe swap and I had no responders. I love the idea of a recipe swap. I was even going to surprise everyone and laminate them for them. Now the swaps are not mailed to my house they want them mailed directly to the person whose name I send out.

If I can be blunt [like I usually am] we need to have one person doing the swaps as it has always been and members make suggestions as we always have done. Challenges can be done by everyone.

I have enjoyed being the SWAP MOM and will continue to do so or we can change up if that is what is wanted. I'm trying very hard to do things the way I have been told to do them and I'm still trying to get use to the new way [change is very hard for me].

Thanks for your ATTENTION.........the flower child
Old 03-02-2013
Super Contributor!

keeping swap costs down?

Hi everyone,

I've sort of purposely stayed away from getting involved in swaps because I, like Blossom, realize that it may be costly for the swap "mom". If I joined in, it would be expensive for anyone who had to post things to Switzerland, plus it may take up to an extra week for delivery, which might be a hassle for some. I already felt guilty participating in swaps like the die cut swap because whoever drew my name got stuck with paying international postage. Depending on what's being swapped, I can imagine that it gets expensive for the swap "mom". I think sharing the responsibility is a good idea.

I guess we need to distinguish between 2 types of swaps:
  1. the round robin kind where everyone sends to just one other person on a list
  2. the kind where everyone sends 10 or so of the same thing to the swap mom, then the swap mom divides these into the same number of envelopes and mails them out to each participant.

The first kind isn't very complicated and doesn't need any modification.

The second kind, though, takes quite a bit more time and organization on the part of the swap mom which I'm not sure is necessary. I wonder if everyone would be willing to just send individual items in separate envelopes to each participant. Currently, the swap mom does the same thing, but on a bigger scale, and has the additional burden of higher postage as well as the added task of taking time to go to the post office since heavier envelopes have to be weighed. Anyway, it's fun to receive mail from all different parts of the country. In this case, then, the swap mom's job would just be to organize the mailing list and distribute that to participants. Seems a lot simpler and much fairer on the pocketbook.

Does anyone else agree?

Also, I might be confused about what a "challenge" is. I thought it was just creating something and posting it online. Or does it involve sending something physically through the mail?

Sherm

Last edited by The Shermanator; 03-02-2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2013
Super Contributor!

Along the lines of recipes, how about a seasonal recipe swap? Like a winter, comfort meal, like chicken and dumplings, soup, etc.
I, for one, love having Blossom coordinate the swap packages. I know that when I send my swap items to Blossom, she will get those out to the people they need to go to and it is always a wonderful surprise to get my package. I would also have no problem helping with costs if it is needed, so please don't hesitate to let me know.
I also know that there are times when people get busy with life and can't participate in swaps, etc and that is OK. I know that when a new swap is announced, I look at it and think, what will I be doing at the time it needs done, do I have the time, and am I interested, etc. I use to participate in Bookswap swaps, but I use my IPAD, Kindle and Nook to read, so don't use them as much now. Although, I could submit bookmarks and just request not to get any back. That is an idea.

I know that I appreciate everyone and their ideas in this club and the SwapMoms and Moderators are doing a great job! I know all the members appreciate these dedicated members. Hugs, DebRN

Last edited by DebRN; 03-02-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 03-02-2013
Super Contributor!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom View Post
...If I can be blunt [like I usually am] we need to have one person doing the swaps as it has always been and members make suggestions as we always have done. Challenges can be done by everyone...

You have stated your position clearly, Lois. Thank you.

I personally disagree with the need for a one person only swap coordinator, but rather than having this topic become a problem, I will refrain from hosting any CP swaps.

Please note. I am not saying I will not join future CP swaps. That will--as always--depend upon my interest, available time & the number of projects, etc. It also does not mean I will not offer challenges @ CP nor continue to offer ideas for swaps.

Looks like we have some interesting possibilities for new swaps in the months to come. Good!
Old 03-03-2013
Super Moderator

Daniel, it has been brought to my attention that if you would like to do a swap that is fine. I only ask that you let me know so that our swaps won't be interfering with each other. I would gladly welcome the break in my duties so I can spend time setting up my blog and my book that I am going to be writing. I apologize if I upset you or any one. You always have wonderful ideas and most times they are things that I would have never thought of. I think we would call you the swap pop. I see no reason we could work together if that is alright with you.........the flower child

Debbie, thank you.........the flower child

Sharon, a challenge is a topic that is brought up by the members a color challenge, a stamping challenge things like that. Sometimes a gift is offered but is not necessary to host the challenge. Basically a challenge is something that the host has interest in and wants the rest of us to participate in. An example is Daniel hosted a mask swap and for me it was a big challenge for the fact that I am scissor challenged but I did the challenge and I was very satisfied. I hope this helps.......the flower child

Last edited by blossom; 03-03-2013 at 04:19 AM.
Old 03-03-2013
Super Contributor!

Swap compromise?

There seem to be some very different ideas of how to handle swaps. I don't see any reason why there can't be a bit of flexibility. Why not just leave it up to whomever is "hosting" it for the month? If it's Blossom, she can do it her way. If it's someone with a less structured idea like Yankee, let her go for it as she wants. Perhaps it would be a good idea for each swap mom/pop to clarify the logistics at the beginning of each proposed swap?

I think it's the prerogative of anyone who decides to "host" to "have it their way".

So far, it doesn't really concern me -- just trying to help! But my decision to participate in swaps in the future may be effected by this.
Old 03-03-2013
Super Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blossom View Post
Sharon, a challenge is a topic that is brought up by the members a color challenge, a stamping challenge things like that. Sometimes a gift is offered but is not necessary to host the challenge. Basically a challenge is something that the host has interest in and wants the rest of us to participate in. An example is Daniel hosted a mask swap and for me it was a big challenge for the fact that I am scissor challenged but I did the challenge and I was very satisfied. I hope this helps.......the flower child
Thanks, Blossom, but part of my question was not answered: Does a challenge involve creating something and posting it online, or does it involve sending something physically through the mail?
Old 03-03-2013
Super Moderator

Sharon, I hope you will participate. The swaps was always run by one person which always made it a lot simpler and less confusing. We have little participation in the swaps as it is. All I ask is that they let me know so that there are not two swaps run at the same time..........the flower child
Old 03-03-2013
Super Contributor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shermanator View Post
Thanks, Blossom, but part of my question was not answered: Does a challenge involve creating something and posting it online, or does it involve sending something physically through the mail?
Generally a 'challenge' (like mine for newspaper) is a 'show us' only. No sending of the actual piece required. HTH.
Old 03-03-2013
Super Contributor!

Send a message via AIM to Kathy N.
One of the main reasons we have a swap mom, is because if we didn't there more than likely wouldn't be any swaps. Not too many members step foward to offer a swap so if we want to have regular swaps, we need some one to step up and run them. Blossom offered to take up the job when we came back on-line and I for one am grateful because otherwise, I would probably be doing them. I wouldn't mind hosting a swap every now and then, but I wouldn't want to have to do in continuously.
Old 03-03-2013
Super Moderator

I have been doing the COTM swap for about 3 years now. I was not told that Lois was the swap "mom" so I continued along as things were. If anyone has any objections to me continuing on please let me know and I will step down. I don't want any problems with any of our members asking why can Mary do a swap and I can't.
Old 03-03-2013
Super Contributor!

I am fine with the way we are doing it now or how we may do it in the future. I'm a pretty flexible person. If the swap or challange is something I am interested in I will do it, depending of what's going on in my life at the time. I doubt very seriously I'd ever host a swap, but stranger things have happened. By the way, I liked the recipe swap idea.
Old 03-04-2013
Super Moderator

I know you liked the recipe swap card idea Ann you were the only one that signed up, last year when I had posted it.........the flower child.

Kathy if you remember I was the swap mom before we went dark I took over for Bev. remember..........the flower child

No one wants you to step down Mary I for one appreciate all you do........the flower child

Daniel, thanks for answering Sharon's question I thought I did........the flower child