Club Posh  

Club Home Forum JudiKins Site Posh Projects Member Roster Search Help/FAQ
Go Back   Club Posh > Non-Stamp Products > Paper Products

Old 03-23-2015
Super Contributor!

Thumbs up (paper) Scrap & stamping

While cleaning out my junque, I've run across a ton of packaged 'scrap'. Since some may not be familiar with these materials, I'll offer a brief explanation for the term...

Paper scrap are printed (paper) images that are colored thru chromolithography, sometimes embossed & may be done as diecuts or on pages for cutting out.

They can be used on cards, scrapbooks, ornaments & (even) pastries & other confections as decorations.

First produced for marketing in the mid-1800s, they may well be the first 'true' craft supplies for amateur crafters.

They can still be purchased & many crafters--including stampers--use them in their projects.

So much for that. I figure we can all figure out how to search for scrap using the our search engines. Now to get down to the gist of this thread which is twofold:

1. Using pre-printed scrap with stamping.

2. Making our own scrap.

The first is pretty straightforward. Just make a piece that combines your stamping with a premade scrap image or images.

The second option is where all the stuff we have today comes in...

With all the wealth of stamps available to us--including Judikins, of course--the difficult part is deciding which images to use as 'made scrap'.

Along with that we have tons of 'new' inks, glazes, papers & more. We also have embossing folders & such to add dimension to flat paper. Add punches & dies to the mix & making our own individual scrap(s) is more than possible.

By now I can hear a few of my fellow CPs going, "Yeah. Right!"

OK! I understand. And I'll be gentle, pals...

For this thread, a 'made scrap' is one that we have stamped on paper/CS & cut out (aka fussy-cutting). It is usually colored. It may be dry-embossed. It may be glazed to strengthen it.

That's enough for now... If I get hits to this topic I'll answer questions & welcome the 'scrap' experience of other CPs.
Old 03-23-2015
yankee

Daniel, question. When I stamp I make the stamping several times to try inks or papers,cut them out, and throw what I don't use in a drawer. Is that scrap? Or does it have to be a certain style like vintage?
Old 03-23-2015
Super Contributor!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
Daniel, question. When I stamp I make the stamping several times to try inks or papers,cut them out, and throw what I don't use in a drawer. Is that scrap? Or does it have to be a certain style like vintage?
WTG, SheilaRose! Thanks for a very useful post, pal

To answer your last question first... 'Made scrap' doesn't need to be a certain style.

Answer to the first question? Yep! You're making 'scrap'. Since you are doing some cutting out for the unused tryouts you have a drawer of scrap to play with.

The cutting out of stamped images is an important part of scrap. Without that they are just images on a piece of paper/cs. As cutouts they take on a whole different bunch of possible roles in our work.

For instance... Take a gander at the Celtic Cross image Judi used for her March ATC. Lovely! Now imagine stamping the same stamp & turning it into a separate image. How? Think about it...
Old 03-24-2015
Super Moderator
Ask Me Questions - We're here to help!

Great comments Daniel.